Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Central heating interupts TV
number-1

posted on 30/12/19 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Central heating interupts TV

Is there anyone on here who can shed some light on a TV issue i have?

I have a sound bar and Virgin TV box connected to my TV. For some reason, when the central heating comes on the signal for the Virgin box is temporarily interrupted and a "No signal" thing comes on the TV for between 2 and 30 seconds. Sometimes i have to restart the Virgin box. The thermostat is about 2 meters from the TV

It has never done this before. The only thing that ive changed recently is the HDMI cable from the Virgin box to the TV. It has done this since changing. Could this be the cause? If so why??

adam1985

posted on 30/12/19 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have a wireless room stat or heating controller near the tv? Did the old hdmi lead have ferrites on the end and does the new lead have these?

Ps im no expert just thinking about obvious solutions

steve m

posted on 31/12/19 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Think I would try the old hdmi lead and see if it still happens

Fwiw worth, my upstairs virgin box lost most of the HD channels that I watch after I did a tidy up of the cables, and new £35 each hdmi cables that I got free with my TV

Yet when I put the poundshop ones, yes £1 for an hdmi cable, all stations were restored

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

ianhurley20

posted on 31/12/19 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Lots of things emit RF - radio frequencies - on all sorts of frequencies and interfere with various bit of equipment. It would appear that your central herating is emitting RF and your new HDMI cable is a better aerial than the old one so picks up the unwanted signal better which upsets your Virgin box. Part of the problem is also your Virgin boxes ability to reject RF. I would put the old cable back. You can get a magnet which is clamped onto the cables usually with one turn of cable around it which will upset the unwanted RF. I used to be a radio ham and they were in common use for just this sort of thing, probably still available on Radio ham suppliers sites and maybe ebay

This sort of thing https://hamradiostore.co.uk/amateur-radio/antennas/antenna-accessories/baluns/pro-audio-ferrite-snao-on-core.html

[Edited on 31/12/19 by ianhurley20]

number-1

posted on 31/12/19 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies chaps.

Well, every day is a school day!!!!

I will put the old cable back on and see if it still does it.

HowardB

posted on 31/12/19 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
Lots of things emit RF - radio frequencies - on all sorts of frequencies and interfere with various bit of equipment. It would appear that your central herating is emitting RF and your new HDMI cable is a better aerial than the old one so picks up the unwanted signal better which upsets your Virgin box. Part of the problem is also your Virgin boxes ability to reject RF. I would put the old cable back. You can get a magnet which is clamped onto the cables usually with one turn of cable around it which will upset the unwanted RF. I used to be a radio ham and they were in common use for just this sort of thing, probably still available on Radio ham suppliers sites and maybe ebay

This sort of thing https://hamradiostore.co.uk/amateur-radio/antennas/antenna-accessories/baluns/pro-audio-ferrite-snao-on-core.html

[Edited on 31/12/19 by ianhurley20]

What he said - and once a Ham, always a Ham!

I noticed that the screwfix ones have built in ferrites - and they are half the price of conventional shop ones,..

HNY

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

overdriver

posted on 1/1/20 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Can't really add a solution but I can share the experience. Central heating, blender being operated from a wall socket, kitchen lights being switched on or off and for absolutely no discernible reason we will get the 'No signal' screen. Usually this is for a few seconds but on occasions the channel is totally lost for a considerable time; exactly how long I'm not sure but long enough for me to lose patience and find something else to watch!

Almost invariably this loss of signal is restricted to HD channels. I have checked all aerial connections and tried different 'fly leads'. I've also got the set plugged into the mains via a surge protector socket. The set is a Panasonic Viera with the only connected device being a Panasonic sound bar which is connected via HDMI cable. Further to the previous postings I'll try playing around with the HDMI lead/magnet/Screwfix alternatives etc.

Finally, I notice that the current high barometric pressure is being blamed for loss of Freeview reception. So, although this doesn't explain the historical occurrences, perhaps I'll put off trying to rectify matters for now.......... at least until the weather changes...... and all the mince pies have gone.

Michael.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.