Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyre gunk recommendation please
HowardB

posted on 9/6/23 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Tyre gunk recommendation please

I am looking at a long journey without a spare and wonder what tyre gunk/weld people might recommend or suggest I avoid?

Thanks

Howard

adithorp

posted on 9/6/23 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
IMO they're all as good/bad as each other. They'll get you out of the poo most times and cover you in sticky poo the rest.
If the cause (nail/screw/etc) has come out they tend not to work, so best to have a repair string type kit as well.

HowardB

posted on 10/6/23 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Adi.

Much appreciated advice.

I shall have a look today

JoelP

posted on 10/6/23 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
My kit seems to be too light to flatten its tyres!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

adithorp

posted on 10/6/23 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

I've only had one puncture in the Fury. Although it didn't go flat due to lack of load and fairly stiff sidewalls on the 888r, it did wander and wallow a bit. Unfortunately the offending item had come out, so the gunk only slowed it down and what sprayed out, waterproofed one of my driving shoes before i realised what was going on. It took several stops to reinstate before I found a French KwikFit/Halford type place for a repair. Carried the repair kit since then.

red22

posted on 10/6/23 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
My vote goes to Slime. It's a preventive, as in you put in when your tyres are puncture free and forget it, any punctures you do get are instantly sealed.

nick205

posted on 12/6/23 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
In my experience they're much of a muchnes really. Most will get you out of trouble and off the side of the road.

Once used in a tyre, the puncture can't be repaired by a tyre fitter. I believe the tyre fitter has to bin the tyre and sell you a new one.

That said, calling a tyre fitter out to you at the side of the road can be £££ too + a long wait.

adithorp

posted on 12/6/23 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205 ...Once used in a tyre, the puncture can't be repaired by a tyre fitter. I believe the tyre fitter has to bin the tyre and sell you a new one...

Not quite true. You can repair them but you have to wash out all the fluid first (very messy) leave the tyre to dry (time consuming) and make a very good job of cleaning the surface prior to patching. Would I do it for my own or a mates tyre; yes. Would I do it for a random; probably not.

[Edited on 12-6-2023 by adithorp]

cliftyhanger

posted on 13/6/23 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I have an old Dunlop Reddiplug kit, but with the modern repair strings. I have repaied loads of tyres with it, the only failure was a 10mm bolt that had gone through the tyre, bit too big a hole. New versions are available, but the one I bought was rubbish, so I got the old Dunlop kit.

I also carry an aerosol tyre repair, and my kids have a couple in their cars. I have been emphatic that if they get a puncture in a dangerous place to use the foam to inflate it so they can get to safety.

HowardB

posted on 13/6/23 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
I have had lots of recommendations for "stop n go" on another forum - yes I know that is cheating but it seems well respected in the USA - any thoughts on that over here?
nick205

posted on 13/6/23 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by nick205 ...Once used in a tyre, the puncture can't be repaired by a tyre fitter. I believe the tyre fitter has to bin the tyre and sell you a new one...

Not quite true. You can repair them but you have to wash out all the fluid first (very messy) leave the tyre to dry (time consuming) and make a very good job of cleaning the surface prior to patching. Would I do it for my own or a mates tyre; yes. Would I do it for a random; probably not.

[Edited on 12-6-2023 by adithorp]

Interesting and I wasn't aware this could be done.

I was going off Kwik Fit refusing to repair, "because gunk had been used". Possibly down to their liability insurance I guess.

gingerprince

posted on 16/6/23 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

This. My MK has had 0 PSI in R888s and not noticed it visibly when getting it out of the garage. Obviously feels wrong when driving, but the sidewall is hard enough that the rims are protected so you can comfortably drive steadily to the nearest tyre shop for a repair or replacement.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.