Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Alan's Test Centre in Derby - A Recommendation
bilbo

posted on 10/5/06 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Alan's Test Centre in Derby - A Recommendation

I'm just getting my old Robin Hood (yes I know ) ready to sell to fund my Locost build. Took it for an MOT at Alan's Test Centre in Derby [NTDWM by the way]. They don't do repairs there, just MOTs. You can just turn up, no appointement needed and they do it for you while you wait (and watch).

The car's never failed an MOT before in 10 years, so this time I was a bit blasé about the whole thing and didn't do my normal checks. As a result, during the test, the hazard switch didn't work, the rear drums were not balanced and the hand brake cable popped off while he was doing the test

Anyway, they all appear to be real car entusiasts there. They let me tinker for a bit with the hazard switch - just dust/dirt in it in the end. They then proceeded to fix the hand brake for me while they had the car on the ramp (bering in mind they don't do repairs ). Then they let me drive the car round the block with the hand brake on to bed the drums in (just a bit of rust over the winter I think). Result: PASS . What stars. They managed to do themselves out of a £20 retest fee.

Highly Recommended

greggors84

posted on 10/5/06 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Don't they have to give a free retest within a certain amount of time.

With the new computer based MOTs the testers have to take the full amount of time over a retest as they would for a normal test but for no money.

This maybe why the fixed it for you to save them having to retest it for nothing at cost to them.

Although it does sound they were alot more helpful then the regular MOT tester!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Hellfire

posted on 10/5/06 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Bilbo - then the alarm clock went off and you had to go to work

I'd say that was beyond the call of duty and deserve a bit of a "thank you"...

If only all Vehicle Centers worked this way (here's hoping!)

andybod

posted on 10/5/06 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
i worked for alans test centre many years ago at there burton on trent depot before they had derby always encouraged staff to help out where possible shame they didn't treat there staff the same but good to see there still looking after there customers
Mansfield

posted on 10/5/06 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I assume it the same Alan's Test Centre chain in Mansfield, they treated me real well. Whether my car should really have passed is another matter. I would recommend them.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.