Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Golf Mk4 Rear brakes
pewe

posted on 23/7/06 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Golf Mk4 Rear brakes

Not really specifically kit cars but thought someone could advise. A mate is re-newing the rear pads on his Golf and despite Haynes instructions to "wind the piston clockwise whilst pressing inwards" the blo**y things won't go in. They'll rotate but not go back in. Any suggestions gratefully received.
Cheers, Pewe

smart51

posted on 23/7/06 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
If its anything like doing the sierra's then its a pain but it will go in. You have to push in really hard whilst turning. Really hard. They will go eventually.
DIY Si

posted on 23/7/06 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the self adjusting thingy. On most cars, they turn quickly, but go in on a fine (or seems to be) thread. On the missus car, I found turning them for 2-3 full turns and then applying some pressure with a g clamp worked well.
pathfinder

posted on 23/7/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
I did the same job the other day!

The piston has a set of friction plates in it, that need to be loaded up before the tread will screw in. I gave up trying to do it with a set of needle nose pliers and went and borrowed the proper tool from the local garage. 2 minute job with the proper tool

pathfinder

posted on 23/7/06 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BERGEN-11pc-BRAKE-CALIPER-PISTON-WIND-BACK-TOOL-KIT_W0QQitemZ190008585050QQihZ009QQcategoryZ30928QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
andybod

posted on 23/7/06 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
as said before apply some pressure and wind calipers back can sometimes be tight would reccomend getting a wind back tool, and when you fit the new pads pump the brake pedal don't touch hand brake until you have pumped the pads out as you can unwind the handbrake mechanism off the piston if you try adjusting the pads with hand brake where in the country are you i have a kit and live near burton on trent you are welcome to borrow it if local
pewe

posted on 23/7/06 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, especially for the offer of one on loan. We've given up for tonight!!!!
Will try to borrow the proper tool tomorrow or maybe cobble one up - if I've managed to build a kit it can't be that difficult to knock one up - now can it? Cheers, Pewe.

Tricky Dave

posted on 23/7/06 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
I did it with a clamp and I think a hammer was involved as well.
My localGSF sais they had a kit for £15, but I foolishly didn't invest. Would have done if I'd known how irritating it was going to be.

pewe

posted on 24/7/06 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Sorted it! Knocked up a tool by making a butterfly out of 3mm plate, welded at 180 degrees into a slot on the end of some studding, then a thick plate to bear on the caliper outer lug with a nut welded on the back, nut welded on the opposite end to the butterfly - proper job and 30 seconds to wind the piston back!!! Anyone want a sketch drop me a U2U. Cheers, Pewe.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.