Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: keep your nuts tight and check them
graememk

posted on 17/8/06 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
keep your nuts tight and check them

Pre SVA I want to bed the brakes in so i trailer the car to B&Qs car park last night whilst drifting the car around and around all was going really well until the front wheel came off well the ball joint at the bottom to be exact lucky i have a spare ally as the other one is knackered

Check them nuts builders i went around my car with a spanner last night and found the rack hadn’t been tightened fully either......

glad i tested the car before i drove the 75 miles to sva

nib1980

posted on 17/8/06 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
A useful tip I've picked up from my place of work. is when you have tightened the nuts down to the correct torque, use a chalk pen to mark over the nut and mating part, that way a quick visual check will see if you've torqued it up, and if it has relaxed or slipped as well, much easier and quicker
iank

posted on 17/8/06 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
The locost alternative to a chalk pen is to knick the wifes nail varnish, or get some correction fluid from work.

I didn't tell you this if caught

bimbleuk

posted on 17/8/06 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
On my way to SVA a rear caliper bolt worked loose and fell out! Needless to say that would have been an instant fail. Except the tester took a coffee break while I shot round to the local scrappy to get a replacement

[Edited on 17/8/06 by bimbleuk]

Just

posted on 17/8/06 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, bit of Tipex on all the bolts and mountings allows you to see if anything has moved.
David Jenkins

posted on 17/8/06 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I used a broad-tipped red felt-tip pen...
...it was a bonus when I went to the SVA, as the tester asked why many nuts & bolts had a red stripe on them - when I told him that they were to mark all the fasteners I'd checked he smiled.

A bit of BS is always useful in any test!

ReMan

posted on 17/8/06 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Bright red nail varnish for me too
bigandy

posted on 17/8/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've been marking all the bolts I have torqued up during the build of my car with a Red permanent marker pen. I intended to go over the lot of them when (eventually!) the build is complete with a different coloured pen, but the idea of using nail varnish sounds better, maybe using an additional colour for a 100mile bolt check or something..

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

Stu16v

posted on 17/8/06 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigandy
I've been marking all the bolts I have torqued up during the build of my car with a Red permanent marker pen. I intended to go over the lot of them when (eventually!) the build is complete with a different coloured pen, but the idea of using nail varnish sounds better, maybe using an additional colour for a 100mile bolt check or something..

Cheers
Andy

A far better idea IMHO. A line on the fastener means that the nut/bolt hasn't moved, but it doesn't necessarily mean the item it is fastening down isn't working loose underneath...

Dont just build it.....make it!

iank

posted on 18/8/06 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
With nail varnish or tippex you put the dob on the bolt/nut and the component being bolted. So any movement breaks cracks the it.
MikeRJ

posted on 19/8/06 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
So any movement breaks cracks the it.

Done good, you have! Learn much, you will!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.