Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Can I make an engine mount rubber?
millenniumtree

posted on 16/5/07 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Can I make an engine mount rubber?

Is it possible to carve my own chunk of rubber for an engine mount, or would it just be easier to buy one made for the job?

If anyone _has_ made one, what type of rubber did you use? Can I use anything other than rubber?

The mounts on my pickup are shot, and I just need something for a while before I Locosterize it in a year or two.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 16/5/07 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
why on earth wouldn't you just buy one (or two) surely there not that dear, plus - they probably aren't just a block of rubber and most likely have a couple of studs/plate fitted internally?

Steve

[Edited on 16/5/07 by worX]

millenniumtree

posted on 16/5/07 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Frankly, I don't know what they are exactly! I know there's rubber in them and guess I thought you could just replace the rubbers.

If you're familiar with 22R engine mounts, do tell. I'll have a closer look at them later.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
millenniumtree

posted on 16/5/07 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Oh good lord.

They're complicated AND expensive.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Truck-Pickup-Motor-Engine-Mounts-81-95-NEW_W0QQitemZ7994484997QQcmdZViewItem

Any chance of doing this bodgerly and cheap??

Couple bits of wood? (Only half joking)

Not keen on spending $75 on a $280 donor. Unless I'll be using the mounts in the Locost as well?

blakep82

posted on 16/5/07 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Flexane?

http://www.namrick.co.uk/browse.asp?PCID=17

don't know how easy it is to get hold of, or how good the results are though...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Peteff

posted on 16/5/07 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Drill a hole straight through the lot and put a bolt through it, old Renault remedy

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

millenniumtree

posted on 17/5/07 at 04:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
Flexane?

http://www.namrick.co.uk/browse.asp?PCID=17

don't know how easy it is to get hold of, or how good the results are though...

Looks like cool stuff, but expensive!!
Maybe I could get some thick vulcanized rubber and laminate it together with some flexible adhesive... As long as I can get the job done for less than $20, I'll be happy.
Possibly a small bag of shredded tire rubber mulch and mold it using a flexible cement adhesive/crack filler... That should hold together for quite some time - may even last longer than a new rubber!

Any more neat ideas? What can I make out of.....
Breakfast cereal and wingnuts?? Go!!

Kissy

posted on 17/5/07 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
The whole point of the mount is to isolate the engine; proper mounts are bonded in the manufacturing process so the only connection between engine and chassis is rubber. If you bolt through in some way expect as a minimum a bit more vibration, at worst something having to give (chassis!) - if the engine is pretty smooth and you drive smoothly then you may get away with a rigid mechanical mount.
marc n

posted on 17/5/07 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
made some custom mounts a few years ago using some belzona liquid rubber cant remeber which one one i used, just told their technical department i do remember though that it was messy as hell and involved making a mould but did work very
http://www.belzona.co.uk/

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Bluemoon

posted on 17/5/07 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Can't you find one in the scrap yard? Cheap and simple fix?

Dan

02GF74

posted on 17/5/07 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kissy
The whole point of the mount is to isolate the engine; proper mounts are bonded in the manufacturing process so the only connection between engine and chassis is rubber.

funnily enough I've considered the DI@Y approach.

I rec,on of one was stuck, one could use car tyre - nice and cheap.

You couldn't/shouldn't bolt it straight through as that defeats the object but use two or more bolts offset to hold the sandwich together, lilke below.

can't see why that wouldn't work, you would need peeny washer or plates to stop the bolt heads from pulling through.

[img][/img]

Humbug

posted on 17/5/07 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Could you use Land Rover mounts with the bottom plate off the Toyota mounts? I saw this on Yankee eBay for less than the Toyota ones:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAND-ROVER-ENGINE-MOUNT_W0QQitemZ7968655769QQihZ019QQcategoryZ46098QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Also here: http://www.roversdownsouth.com/trans.htm

Not as cheap as here, though (I used these for my engine and for my exhaust)

Johnmor

posted on 17/5/07 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Land rover V8 mount are simple and effective and can be used in conjunction with any plate or mounting you care to make.

I used two and they cost £3.00 each.

You aint going to make something for that price!!!!

02GF74

posted on 17/5/07 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I could; plenty of dumped tyres ..... but would you want to? No.!!
millenniumtree

posted on 17/5/07 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, these are slick.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/product.php?productid=2570

Cost about $80 more than the car did though!

The cheapest I can find these for all 3 original mounts (2 fronts and a rear, which is different), is $99 + shipping.

Some bits of wood are looking quite attractive right now.

I _DO_ have an old tyre in the back of the truck, and bolts are cheap...
I don't think I'd be very fond of cutting chunks out of a tire though.
I'll ring up the scrapyard to see how much they want for 'em before I do something foolish.

Not sure about the land rover option - may be worth considering though.

In any case, it'll have to wait for at least a few weeks because my wife won't let me touch the truck until we get some of our bathroom constructed.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.