Board logo

Roll cages
sammundo - 2/7/15 at 02:12 PM

So I've decided to take the project towards the track rather than the road. I bought a ready made chassis as an abandoned project. Unfortunately the previous owner also bought it as a project so I know very little of the makers other than to say it's mm perfect to the book, perfectly square and the welding looks very professional. It already has a roll bar fitted with rear stays. Is it possible to add the rest of a roll cage to this to make it race compliant. Will add pictures shortly but I've just realised I don't know how to on the iPad.

kj - 2/7/15 at 02:51 PM

Think you need to re-size the picture.

sammundo - 2/7/15 at 03:11 PM

i'll try that again

loggyboy - 2/7/15 at 03:43 PM

Providing its designed to MSA blue book regs, (pic appears to be ok, so just the bar material needs to be 45x2.5 CDS (or 50x2)). Most events will accept a roll bar and back stays. (I think backstays can be 38mm)
Would be advisable to go for full cage tho, and again would need to be to blue book.

sammundo - 2/7/15 at 04:48 PM

oh dear. without measuring id say the bar is only 40mm dia and the stays 30ish.
does anyone do a kit you can buy to weld and fit yourself?

[Edited on 2/7/15 by sammundo]

mark chandler - 2/7/15 at 04:55 PM

Google a copy of the MSA yearbook which will provide tube sizes, then look in yellow pages for someone who can bend up a flat pack cage.

Costs between £5-£15 per mandrel bend.

I did this locally for my rear hoop, for the front there is a chap on eBay called tube bender I think

Blueosis1 - 2/7/15 at 05:02 PM

Cages do come up for sale on the bay now and again,but there not always up to the right specs .

Mark

loggyboy - 2/7/15 at 05:50 PM

Theres a company on ebay that do custom rolled hoop for under 100 I think. More if you want more than 2bends or larger widths.

EDIT
less than 70 if its under 1m wide.
Custom Roll Cage Hoop CDS Cold Drawn Seamless Steel MSA FIA Approved

[Edited on 2-7-15 by loggyboy]

Rosco86 - 2/7/15 at 09:13 PM

Yeah i used tubebender, hes a good lad, does a good job at the right price!

Badger_McLetcher - 3/7/15 at 08:38 AM

Yep, also used tubebender and he did a good job.

sammundo - 5/7/15 at 08:55 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. Think I'm coming to Anglesey to have a look around and try and get a chat with a scrutineer as the blue book isn't making total sense to me.