Board logo

Fuel Tank Size & Off the Shelf Items??
woodsy144 - 15/11/10 at 02:44 AM

Hello all,

I am in the planning stages for Warner R4 inspired vehicle.
I am planning on using a R1 power plant.

So my question to you BEC guru's

What size fuel tank do you use / recommend for a vehicle of this size?

Are there any good off the shelf items? If i have an off the shelf item it will help with registration.

Thanks

Tim

speedyxjs - 15/11/10 at 08:45 AM

WHat sort of useage are you planning with the car? Mostly track days? Long distance cruising? This may have an impact on the size of tank that will suit you

RazMan - 15/11/10 at 10:44 AM

As my car is used mostly on the road I wanted a range of about 400 miles which I find to be reasonable. Any smaller and you are always looking for petrol stations. I went for 2 x 25 litre tanks for better weight distribution - Your R1 will probably not be as thirsty as my V6 though

[Edited on 15-11-10 by RazMan]

woodsy144 - 15/11/10 at 11:04 AM

it will be a mix between road and track. The fuel effiency of the R1 will affect what size i need. but i am not really sure what is the effiency of the engine......

blakep82 - 15/11/10 at 12:23 PM

for road and track, 2 25 ltr tanks sounds good, keep a shut off tap on one of them, you fill both for long distance road, and keep one empty and shut off for the track

i've got a 35ltr tank, but i'm not on the road yet

adithorp - 15/11/10 at 01:17 PM

I've got a 6.5 gellon plastic tank and size wise I think you'll find most have about the same size. With my 06 R1 that gives me about 200 mile max on a run. There are plastic tanks available (CBS, etc) but they must have certification for IVA. Thats not required for ally tanks. You can get ally tanks made to your requirements (Welderman on here or MK Engineering, etc).

matt_gsxr - 15/11/10 at 01:33 PM

I've got 25litres, and a 1.2litre bike engine, seems plenty. Mine is an alifab tank, and is good quality, some question marks over plastic tanks (leaking at fittings).

After 3hours of driving I like stopping.

If you are working on the principle of keeping things light-weight (a la R4), then carrying less fuel would give you instant savings.

Matt