Board logo

Coolant system flush
roadrunner - 29/12/20 at 03:41 PM

After tracking down a leak in my cooling system and finding that my ZX10R pump cover had a corroded and loose oil cooler feed pipe connection, I discovered that there is a lot of crap built up in the system.
What is the best chemical flush/additive I can chuck in to clear it out.

Regards

Brad

perksy - 29/12/20 at 03:47 PM

Used Holts Speedflush before and seemed to work well

cliftyhanger - 29/12/20 at 05:04 PM

Is it oil got in the water? (clothes) washing powder in very aggressive detergent, and can clear oil/grease better than almost anything else. Would water flush, then speedflush after.

roadrunner - 29/12/20 at 05:31 PM

Thanks fellas.
The engine has been stood a while and coolant has started ferment. ;-0

steve m - 29/12/20 at 05:41 PM

Firstly before putting any solution in, i would recommend a good flush and back flush to get the main crud out, and fresh clean water in
I then used a couple of dishwasher tablets in my old xflow system, and left it idling for 30 mins, loads more of crud came out !
Then used wynns rad cleaner etc,

Dont forget once the system is clean, to drain, and flush etc, and then fill up with a mix of 50/50 or what ever is recommended of a good Antifreeze/water

I take no responsibilities if any one else uses a dishwasher tablet, as i got that bit of advice from an old, but now gone friend, but some of his other advice, i still and always will use again

steve

jacko - 29/12/20 at 06:34 PM

With all these problems I would remove that engine and fit a good reliable PINTO 😎😎😎🤪

roadrunner - 29/12/20 at 06:38 PM

Trust you Jacko