Board logo

Battery Impact Wrench
ReMan - 22/9/19 at 03:34 PM

It that time of year again , so looking for a new toy, that will make whipping wheels off a joy!
Sierra Rear axel nuts too if possible ;-)
Anybody got any recent recommendations for a decent one?
Thinking 1/2" but wouldn't rule out 3/8 if comparable performance
Up to about £200 but flexible either way if a show stopper, else more beer funds

Cheers


40inches - 22/9/19 at 04:03 PM

Got A Ryobi One a few weeks ago on Amazon for £85. It's a cracker
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0177CI5J6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FLYJ682/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

[Edited on 22-9-19 by 40inches]


motorcycle_mayhem - 22/9/19 at 04:13 PM

I'm waiting for the Lidl one to appear in the shop on Thursday.


theconrodkid - 22/9/19 at 04:33 PM

another vote for Lidl (i am a member of the Lidl fanboy club), usually a 3 year warranty, batteries always in stock and the tools are pretty good quality


britishtrident - 22/9/19 at 04:45 PM

The Lidl Parkside one is utterly useless the new the Lidl that open a month go in my area had them in when it opened . Blurb on the box makes big claims about torque on the box even shows it undoing wheel nuts but the torque claims aren't realistic

[Edited on 22/9/19 by britishtrident]


ReMan - 22/9/19 at 05:43 PM

Thanks so far

The Ryobi looks good, but some mixed reviews and the price creeps up when you add in batteries
I think the point of the one range would be wasted oil me too as theres not many tools I dont have already
Thanks though a possibility

Conrod , I've got a ton of Lidl/Aldi tools and I rate them.
But! I'm wary for an impact wrench as I dont want to be disappointed. Some of the big names dont fare well either!


If I cant get one for <£500 thats any good, I'll stick to my 3ft breaker bar!

Cheers


theconrodkid - 22/9/19 at 05:48 PM

Reman, if it dont do what it says on the box, take it back for a refund, they dont argue


rusty nuts - 22/9/19 at 07:00 PM

I have a Dewalt that I brought as a bare unit at Stoneleigh for £140 thatís pretty impressive , I already had several batteries ,if I hadnít I would have looked at Milwaukee which get very good revues


StrikerChris - 22/9/19 at 07:17 PM

If you're going to get any use out of it, milwaukee is the only thing I'd spend my money on these days, easily better in every way than the dewalt, bosch, makitas these days. That's in heavy industry, getting abused 24/7 tho.
My old man had ryobi stuff which seem OK for a home garage, if a little gutless, but the price far outweighs the shortcomings for the amount of use his get.
Chris


And they've just brought out an inch drive one, can't wait to snap some bolts, (or my wrists) with that mother f****r !

[Edited on 22/9/19 by StrikerChris]


RussH - 22/9/19 at 08:52 PM

Dewalt here, awesome kit.


Oddified - 22/9/19 at 10:55 PM

Ryobi for me, works very well. I'm a hobbyist so not used all day everyday but as i have a few of their tools it made sense (one charger/2 batteries).

Ian


Duncan Grier - 23/9/19 at 06:14 AM

I got a load of AEG 18v items at a really good price when homebase were discontinuing stocking them. Have to say so far both the 1" impact wrench & impact driver done well and upto the job on most things tried

I have air tools also and old school big bar so was not expecting them to be able to tackle problem stuff but fine with wheel bolts, suspension items etc while stripping my old renault 5, 6Ah battery holds up for ages


ReMan - 23/9/19 at 08:10 AM

Thanks all.
What youíve described is exactly where I am.
Biggest fear is buying one that ends up an expensive nut spinner, after youíve already done the hard work with a breaker etc.
I,m only a hobbyist, / home mechanic but I want it to be a go to tool and I do need it to do suspension brakes and other rusty old kit in my old age!
Looks like £200 is a bit shy, so happy to up the budget, a bit , but as a hobbyist donít think I can justify £500


40inches - 23/9/19 at 09:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Thanks all.
What youíve described is exactly where I am.
Biggest fear is buying one that ends up an expensive nut spinner, after youíve already done the hard work with a breaker etc.
I,m only a hobbyist, / home mechanic but I want it to be a go to tool and I do need it to do suspension brakes and other rusty old kit in my old age!
Looks like £200 is a bit shy, so happy to up the budget, a bit , but as a hobbyist donít think I can justify £500


I was going to say that you could have a hands on with the Ryobi, but you are a bit far away.
Unless you pass M1 Junction 30 at anytime?
I changed a drive shaft and it tightened the shaft nut beyond my 220ftlb torque wrench


coyoteboy - 23/9/19 at 10:08 AM

I've tried a few of these, electric and some pneumatic ones, and never had them able to break a nut that I then subsequently get off with a normal 250mm wrench. No idea what I'm doing wrong but I've always been very skeptical.


DavidW - 23/9/19 at 12:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Got A Ryobi One a few weeks ago on Amazon for £85. It's a cracker
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0177CI5J6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FLYJ682/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

[Edited on 22-9-19 by 40inches]


I also have this and wish I'd bought one years ago.

David


RichardB123 - 23/9/19 at 12:25 PM

Lidl end of this week £60!


lsdweb - 23/9/19 at 12:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RichardB123
Lidl end of this week £60!


Is there a link to the Lidl one anywhere?
Ta


RussH - 23/9/19 at 01:24 PM

Aldi too - impact wrench and drill driver set for £99


obfripper - 23/9/19 at 06:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
quote:
Originally posted by RichardB123
Lidl end of this week £60!


Is there a link to the Lidl one anywhere?
Ta


https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/car-essentials/parkside-20v-cordless-vehicle-impact-wrench/p25478

Dave


Dingz - 24/9/19 at 07:33 AM

Looking at that Lidl link I noticed there is a mains one too which will undo up to 500Nm but only do up to 100Nm. Is this the same with the battery ones?


40inches - 24/9/19 at 07:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
Looking at that Lidl link I noticed there is a mains one too which will undo up to 500Nm but only do up to 100Nm. Is this the same with the battery ones?

The Ryobi has 3 torque settings, the highest being 400Nm. I can confirm that this is also tightening torque.
It also has an impact driver attachment.


ReMan - 24/9/19 at 11:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Thanks all.
What youíve described is exactly where I am.
Biggest fear is buying one that ends up an expensive nut spinner, after youíve already done the hard work with a breaker etc.
I,m only a hobbyist, / home mechanic but I want it to be a go to tool and I do need it to do suspension brakes and other rusty old kit in my old age!
Looks like £200 is a bit shy, so happy to up the budget, a bit , but as a hobbyist donít think I can justify £500


I was going to say that you could have a hands on with the Ryobi, but you are a bit far away.
Unless you pass M1 Junction 30 at anytime?
I changed a drive shaft and it tightened the shaft nut beyond my 220ftlb torque wrench

Thanks for the offer Mr 40Ē
Have you used it on any challenging parts yet? Wheels, brake calliper mounts , suspension or anything?

Iíd convinced myself that I needed one of these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcf899n-xj-18v-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-impact-wrench-bare

And one of these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd778m2t-sfgb-18v-4-0ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/979hf

As my current driver is very tired too
Very good reviews on one of the mechanics forums, my only concern really is itís over 2.6 kg and on the bigger side which could make it unwieldy!

Which then brings us back to Lidl, super cheap if it does 90% and if it doesnít it,s £60, or the Ryobi, which looks a good contender, or the DeWalt, or something else!!


RichardB123 - 24/9/19 at 09:35 PM

The mains ones work in a different way.
I wouldnt bother.

I dont think there is anything on a kit car the lidl one wouldnt undo.

Rusty land rover on the other hand...


lsdweb - 24/9/19 at 10:01 PM

I called into the local Lidl this evening. No impact wrenches but they did have some mini air powered die grinders on sale :-)


ken555 - 25/9/19 at 05:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
I called into the local Lidl this evening. No impact wrenches but they did have some mini air powered die grinders on sale :-)


Doesn't it start on Thursday ?


ReMan - 25/9/19 at 06:30 PM

Ys it does.
I've decided I'm going to be there ar=t 8.00 and try an get one!

Figured ig it does 90% of what i want them its a bargain, if its crap its going back!


lsdweb - 25/9/19 at 06:42 PM

Ah. Didn't realise it was a special thing on Thursday. I'll try and get down there in the morning!


chris - 26/9/19 at 06:30 PM

i have the makita 18v 3/4 drive wrench i just use a 3/4 to 1/2 inch reducer as a truck mechanic i use it all the time i already had the batteries and charger so just brought the impact wrench bare for £220


ReMan - 26/9/19 at 06:48 PM

UPDATE!
Picked the Lidl one up at 8.00 this morning.
The good news is its a great kit for the money.
The bad news is its a useless
It wouldn't undo my Porsche wheel nuts, so its going back in the morning!

ATEOTHD If I have to break everything by hand first, then I can do that now with my battery drill and a Ĺ" adaptor, so I'm gaining nothing.
Sorry for the bad review!!

[Edited on 26/9/19 by ReMan]


procomp - 28/9/19 at 01:42 PM

Having had most of the impact wrenches on the market over the last 20 Years the only one i would highley recommend is the Ryobi.
Admittedly i have 4 batteries and 2 chargers as i have other Ryobi kit but the impact wrench and drill are in constant use both in workshop and race meetings. The one thing that does impress me is the battery life and the performance. with the lithium battery fully charge it achieves 82LbFt torque tightening up and doesn't drop until battery drops to fully empty. Happily undo nuts that i know are at 100LbFt but not paid much attention to any higher figures as i usually use manual equipment for things like sierra hub nuts Etc

Matt


miskit - 29/9/19 at 09:56 AM

pfff I expect your Porsche alloy lugs are tightened to around the 100Nm mark so if it will not pull that off then it is useless - thanks for the info as I had been debating getting one myself.


ReMan - 29/9/19 at 12:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by miskit
pfff I expect your Porsche alloy lugs are tightened to around the 100Nm mark so if it will not pull that off then it is useless - thanks for the info as I had been debating getting one myself.


That was my feeling.
They are alloy nuts! , spec is 130 Nm.
I was the last one to do them up over a year or so ago so even if i gave it a little bit more for luck, then add in corrosion and say 200.
If it cant fetch them off then its pointless.
I undid them with a 12" bar without standing on it!

I'm looking for something thats going to do that work for me!


skydivepaul - 9/10/19 at 11:10 AM

I'm also looking for a battery impact wrench as my weedy compressor can only manage a few second bursts on my air wrench before it has to recharge the tank.
I have plenty of dewalt batteries so a dewalt wrench would be an obvious choice. or do i upgrade my compressor (i have a trusty lidl compressor that has been good for the last 8 years or so)
dont want to get a wrench that isnt as powerful as my air wrench as it does undo crank bolts etc


obfripper - 9/10/19 at 12:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul
I'm also looking for a battery impact wrench as my weedy compressor can only manage a few second bursts on my air wrench before it has to recharge the tank.
I have plenty of dewalt batteries so a dewalt wrench would be an obvious choice. or do i upgrade my compressor (i have a trusty lidl compressor that has been good for the last 8 years or so)
dont want to get a wrench that isnt as powerful as my air wrench as it does undo crank bolts etc


I use a DCF889HN at work, and it is the hands down best vs any 1/2 air wrench i've used and is more powerful than my 3/4 bluepoint air wrench.
It's also a load more powerful than the snap on battery wrench (which tbh is not much better than the lidl one), the milwaukee and ingersoll are about equal matches but in a different price league.
It does require 5Ah+ batteries to give full output, it will power up on the smaller batteries but is significantly weaker.
There are also pin retention versions, but they're more for site work, you need to push in the pin to swap sockets which gets tedious pretty quick.

I have used the lidl wrench, and it seems very good for the money, but anything over m16 is likely to trouble it, wheras the dewalt will shift m24 hub nuts without much effort.

Dave


skydivepaul - 9/10/19 at 03:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul
I'm also looking for a battery impact wrench as my weedy compressor can only manage a few second bursts on my air wrench before it has to recharge the tank.
I have plenty of dewalt batteries so a dewalt wrench would be an obvious choice. or do i upgrade my compressor (i have a trusty lidl compressor that has been good for the last 8 years or so)
dont want to get a wrench that isnt as powerful as my air wrench as it does undo crank bolts etc


I use a DCF889HN at work, and it is the hands down best vs any 1/2 air wrench i've used and is more powerful than my 3/4 bluepoint air wrench.
It's also a load more powerful than the snap on battery wrench (which tbh is not much better than the lidl one), the milwaukee and ingersoll are about equal matches but in a different price league.
It does require 5Ah+ batteries to give full output, it will power up on the smaller batteries but is significantly weaker.
There are also pin retention versions, but they're more for site work, you need to push in the pin to swap sockets which gets tedious pretty quick.

I have used the lidl wrench, and it seems very good for the money, but anything over m16 is likely to trouble it, wheras the dewalt will shift m24 hub nuts without much effort.

Dave


Cheers Dave, I'll have a look to see where the best place is to get one


ReMan - 9/10/19 at 08:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul
I'm also looking for a battery impact wrench as my weedy compressor can only manage a few second bursts on my air wrench before it has to recharge the tank.
I have plenty of dewalt batteries so a dewalt wrench would be an obvious choice. or do i upgrade my compressor (i have a trusty lidl compressor that has been good for the last 8 years or so)
dont want to get a wrench that isnt as powerful as my air wrench as it does undo crank bolts etc


I use a DCF889HN at work, and it is the hands down best vs any 1/2 air wrench i've used and is more powerful than my 3/4 bluepoint air wrench.
It's also a load more powerful than the snap on battery wrench (which tbh is not much better than the lidl one), the milwaukee and ingersoll are about equal matches but in a different price league.
It does require 5Ah+ batteries to give full output, it will power up on the smaller batteries but is significantly weaker.
There are also pin retention versions, but they're more for site work, you need to push in the pin to swap sockets which gets tedious pretty quick.

I have used the lidl wrench, and it seems very good for the money, but anything over m16 is likely to trouble it, wheras the dewalt will shift m24 hub nuts without much effort.

Dave


Cheers Dave, I'll have a look to see where the best place is to get one


See my earlier post. Screwfix are a good price and the DeWalt is VERY powerful on paper, but it is anbiggish beasty.
I hope to pick one up next week


skydivepaul - 9/10/19 at 10:57 PM

Just ordered one form screwfix £159.99
Coming on Friday so will be trying to unbolt everything in my garage !!


Paul_Arion - 10/10/19 at 06:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan

Thanks for the offer Mr 40Ē
Have you used it on any challenging parts yet? Wheels, brake calliper mounts , suspension or anything?

Iíd convinced myself that I needed one of these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcf899n-xj-18v-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-impact-wrench-bare

And one of these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd778m2t-sfgb-18v-4-0ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/979hf

As my current driver is very tired too
Very good reviews on one of the mechanics forums, my only concern really is itís over 2.6 kg and on the bigger side which could make it unwieldy!

Which then brings us back to Lidl, super cheap if it does 90% and if it doesnít it,s £60, or the Ryobi, which looks a good contender, or the DeWalt, or something else!!


I have both DeWalt items as above myself. Both great bits of kit and highly recommended. I have used the impact driver to undo plenty of rusty bolts on a 20+ year old MX5 - including driveshaft hub nuts.

[Edited on 10/10/19 by Paul_Arion]


motorcycle_mayhem - 10/10/19 at 08:35 AM

I bought the Lidl one too, finally. I went in to pick up the die-grinder (some weld intrusions into various threaded bushes - now removed).

It's a good bit of kit. I don't have a Porsche, so it's not an issue that it's only dealing with 40 lb 7/16" wheel nuts on the race car (removed with ease). It's also going to be thrown around in the paddock, along with my other fine (Titan and Workzone) tools. No-one (as yet) has wanted to steal all of them.

It's basically (as we know) what your your personal circumstances are. I have a sodding great compressor in the garage, which drives tools capable of dealing with the Landrover (52 years young, not a Velar) and the wife's crusty car.

Horses for courses, your mileage may vary, objects in the rear view mirror may appear larger than they are, may contain nuts.




quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
UPDATE!
Picked the Lidl one up at 8.00 this morning.
The good news is its a great kit for the money.
The bad news is its a useless
It wouldn't undo my Porsche wheel nuts, so its going back in the morning!

ATEOTHD If I have to break everything by hand first, then I can do that now with my battery drill and a Ĺ" adaptor, so I'm gaining nothing.
Sorry for the bad review!!

[Edited on 26/9/19 by ReMan]


coyoteboy - 10/10/19 at 09:38 AM

Almost all wheel nuts are 100Nm+. Even the 18v makita Pro ones are only manufacturer rated to 175Nm breaking torque in ideal conditions. They just don't ever seem to do the jobs I want them for. IE shifting stuck fasteners.


skydivepaul - 11/10/19 at 09:51 PM

Screwfix delivered my presents today. First impressions, the dewalt is a big beastie as said before. ''Tis also a heavy beastie, you may need a few weeks in the gym before trying to use it.
I'll be undoing most any bolts and nuts that I find tomorrow so will report back

Well a quick try out on my truck wheel nuts and the dewalt took them off with ease. Checked with a torque wrench and they were at 120lbs.

[Edited on 12/10/19 by skydivepaul]


Shooter63 - 13/10/19 at 03:03 PM

A little storey about the above, my company bought 40K yup 40k worth of the above company rattle guns, within 2 weeks the guys were bringing them back non working, at first they honoured the warranty but after a while refused to saying we were using then wrong, eh? Obviously a sh#t storm ensued , i wont bore you with the details but we are now using Makita, so far no problems

Shooter


steve m - 14/10/19 at 07:36 AM

I had thought for years to buy a battery impact gun, but after using one on a friends race car, it only had the power to undo
all 16 nuts, and do them up ONCE, and the nuts had to be done up with a bar afterwards

I have no idea what make it was, so never bought one

Now, I crack the seal with a socket and bar, use my cordless Stanley max drill with a home made adapter with a 17mm and 19mm socket to undo and do up the nuts, and use the bar to torque up when finished

The benefit of doing it this way, is a cordless drill has many many purposes than a one use buzz gun

steve


cliftyhanger - 14/10/19 at 10:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I had thought for years to buy a battery impact gun, but after using one on a friends race car, it only had the power to undo
all 16 nuts, and do them up ONCE, and the nuts had to be done up with a bar afterwards

I have no idea what make it was, so never bought one

Now, I crack the seal with a socket and bar, use my cordless Stanley max drill with a home made adapter with a 17mm and 19mm socket to undo and do up the nuts, and use the bar to torque up when finished

The benefit of doing it this way, is a cordless drill has many many purposes than a one use buzz gun

steve


Sort of the same here. But you can buy, as I did , a set of adaptors for 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" adaptors. Got mine from screwfix as they had a torque rating, most don't.
Anyway, I use a 1/4" drive impact driver for screws, and apart from initial loosening/final tightening on bigger nuts/bolts, it does everything. And is very compact. Plus total was about £6 for teh adaptors. I really like the 1/4 drive sockets with it, which mine go up to 13mm, as so easy to get in places. But will happily do several sets of wheel nuts (apart from the initial half turn with the breaker bar, and torque up at the end) And it has a satisfying rattle, which is OK in the garage up screwing boards up for hours on ends gets irritating.


tweek - 15/10/19 at 09:27 AM

I also have a Ryobi one and a 5Ah battery, it hasn't let me down... yet!


tom225 - 13/11/19 at 03:55 PM

I've been using the 20v Sealey unit for a little while after picking up an eBay bargain.

Must say great but of kit. Wheel nuts not a problem and even managed to undo a the hub nuts on an MX5 i was stripping for parts which really surprised me.


luke2152 - 14/11/19 at 10:19 AM

I've got the ryobi one+ and its useful but a bit underwelming. Still great for doing m6/m8 stuff but runs out of steam trying to crack wheelnuts. Battery life is awesome though.


miskit - 14/11/19 at 09:58 PM

Take a look at the cordless impact Kielder stuff the Binky boys are using on The Escargo Ep. 4, pretty impressive, Machine Mart have them and price seems good too.#


ReMan - 6/1/20 at 08:09 PM

....hurridly updates thread, having see the new one on the front page!

I bought the De-Walt as planned.
The only reason I've not reported back is that other than testing it on wheel nuts I've not used it in anger yet.
Basically I bought the unit from screwfix, a genuine charger from Amazon and a pattern 4.0A battery from Amazon all for about £200.00
So far so good as mentioned its heavy, but I like that


steve m - 7/1/20 at 07:48 PM

But that's an awful lot of money, for a one use tool ???

I still prefer my way of

" Now, I crack the seal with a socket and bar, use my cordless Stanley max drill with a home made adapter with a 17mm and 19mm socket to undo and do up the nuts, and use the bar to torque up when finished "

The benefit of doing it this way, is a cordless drill has many many purposes than a one use buzz gun

steve


skydivepaul - 7/3/20 at 02:11 PM

Another recommendation for the dewalt, used it today to get the stubborn brake caliper bolts off the jag.
I couldn't shift them the socket bar even when using a bit of force with the hammer as well. got the impact driver out and it took them off without breaking a sweat