Board logo

Bonnet wanted
craigdiver - 2/9/18 at 10:43 AM

Hi all,

Looking for a seven style glassfibre bonnet in any condition that I can butcher to make a mold / buck to have a bonnet made to fit my chassis?

What have you got? / how much? / where can it be collected from?

thanks

Craig

SPYDER - 2/9/18 at 03:12 PM

Hi Craig. Have you considered making an ally bonnet? I have little "tin-bashing" skill but learned my way as it went along.
The strengthening ribs were shaped around plywood formers followed by a holesaw and a home made swage tool. They are bonded to the main panel along with a single rivet at each end. The 1.2mm thick main panel started off as a cardboard template which I bent to shape around a length of large diameter guttering. Final cutting to size took a while. Testing, trimming, testing, trimming... More holesawing down the sides and louvres in the top. The louvres were the only bit that I didn't do myself, apart from the final coat of red paint. I did the priming and finish colour inside.
If I can do it, you can.

craigdiver - 2/9/18 at 06:25 PM

that looks amazing- not sure I have the patience though

quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
Hi Craig. Have you considered making an ally bonnet? I have little "tin-bashing" skill but learned my way as it went along.
The strengthening ribs were shaped around plywood formers followed by a holesaw and a home made swage tool. They are bonded to the main panel along with a single rivet at each end. The 1.2mm thick main panel started off as a cardboard template which I bent to shape around a length of large diameter guttering. Final cutting to size took a while. Testing, trimming, testing, trimming... More holesawing down the sides and louvres in the top. The louvres were the only bit that I didn't do myself, apart from the final coat of red paint. I did the priming and finish colour inside.
If I can do it, you can.