Board logo

Starter motor for ST170 engine on type9 box
t3nay - 17/5/20 at 12:58 PM

Hi all, I’m after some advise.
I’ve fitted an st170 engine on a type 9 box and I’m struggling getting a starter to fit I was under the impression a pinto motor would do the job.
I’ve got a standard 1.8 flywheel and have kept the standard st sump but obviously cut all the alloy casting away where the started goes.
I think I just need a starter with a smaller diameter motor body?
Anyone got any ideas? Part numbers?

Thanks in advance
Tim

big_wasa - 17/5/20 at 01:12 PM

The pinto starter only works with a spacer on a standard zetec flywheel then only if it's not to fat.

The one you want is known as a Lucas Lrs707. These where fitted to the 1.8cvh and type9 and the 2.0 Dohc and Mt75.

Again no two starters are the same with some manufactures making them short and fat thin and long and somthing inbetween.

A lot of people have problems with these old starters doing the business on a hot zetec.

Much better is a gear reduction starter from three likes of powerlite and others. These are a proper zetec starter with the T9 flange.

tims31 - 17/5/20 at 01:13 PM

I have a standard 2.0ltr Blacktop with a type 9 fitted, 1.8 flywheel and have used a LUCAS LRS707 Starter motor.

Works fine and had no problems. I'm sure big_wasa will be along soon and he'll know as he has a ST170

tims31 - 17/5/20 at 01:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
The pinto starter only works with a spacer on a standard zetec flywheel then only if it's not to fat.

The one you want is known as a Lucas Lrs707. These where fitted to the 1.8cvh and type9 and the 2.0 Dohc and Mt75.

Again no two starters are the same with some manufactures making them short and fat thin and long and somthing inbetween.

A lot of people have problems with these old starters doing the business on a hot zetec.

Much better is a gear reduction starter from three likes of powerlite and others. These are a proper zetec starter with the T9 flange.

See I was right, but don't know how you posted beofre I had replied :-)

starterman - 17/5/20 at 04:25 PM

If you want an LRS707 at cost they are £48.66 delivered.

Cheers
Mike

SJ - 17/5/20 at 09:39 PM

Mike, do you supply a hi-torque version that will overcome some of the hot starting issues often seen with this starter on a Zetec?

Thanks, Stu

t3nay - 18/5/20 at 09:38 AM

Thanks guys for the advice.
And thanks Mike for the offer of the starter. I have ordered one through my local motor factors And should be with me tomorrow
Fingers crossed it will be swinging over tomorrow night.

starterman - 18/5/20 at 06:32 PM

Why didn't you just come to Callington and you could have picked one up from me

t3nay - 18/5/20 at 08:42 PM

Oh bugger, I didn’t realise you were in Callington.