Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Solid engine mounts
JacksAvon

posted on 27/10/14 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Solid engine mounts

Dear collective brain......

I have used solid engine mounts (steel) on previous formula cars.

Has anyone any experience of using them on 7 type race cars please.

Regards
Jack

tegwin

posted on 27/10/14 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
This is going to depend heavily on what engine you intend to use.... BEC boys are usually solid mounted as per a bike... but a vibrating car engine isn't really the best of things to be mounted solidly... I think a chap on here tried it with a big engine and couldn't touch the gearstick due to the vibrations...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

loggyboy

posted on 27/10/14 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Even the properly mounted BECs use polybushes IMO.
Would shake your typical 7 chassis to pieces, unless you want to add more weight reinforcing the chassis, which would likely negate any performance gained from solid mountings.
if you are going big power, 2 engine, one gearbox and an engine brace at high level should suffice.

Mistral Motorsport

theprisioner

posted on 28/10/14 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I have both, that is a Westfield Megabusa and a Sylva J15/Sigma.

The J15 kit came with more or less solid mounts and it was a nightmare when I first drove it, I thought the chassis was going to disintegrate and me with it. Apparently fitted with a road cam'd Ford Sigma engine and solid mounts is the worst combination possible. I had to retrofit flexible engine mounts.

On the Westfield BEC the mounts are solid. This is relatively normal for a BEC track car. However if I were using it on the road I would probably fit mounts. The transfer of vibration is considerable but as the frequency 12K max revs (lower mass flywheel) appears to makes the problem less urgent, also I am usually wearing a helmet. I suspect if I tuned the Hayabusa like I did the Sigma the problem may get far worse. Tuned engines tend to vibrate more I am told.

Hope this helps

[Edited on 28/10/14 by theprisioner]

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

JacksAvon

posted on 28/10/14 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input chaps.

Rubber mounts for me then

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.