Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MSA regulations
JohnFol

posted on 15/10/02 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
MSA regulations

I am at the stage where I need to cost out the components needed for racing. I know about battery cut off switches, fire extinguishers etc, but can find no details relating roll cages (and probably other things). I have heard people talk about the "Blue book", but don't know what it is.

Can someone tell me which MSA / 750mc book I should get to tell me what the requirements are?

More immediately I want to get a roll cage whilst at the chassis stage. Does anyone know of a source for the race series? Dave?

D Beddows

posted on 15/10/02 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
You get an MSA blue book included when you buy an ARDS pack and after that every year when you renew your competition licence you get the new edition sent to you. I'd imagine if you phone the MSA up they'll be able to supply you with one. To be absolutley honest there isn't realy anything in there that is vital to know while you're finishing building the car (apart from the roll cage if you're building your own)- nice to have though

Roll cages - if you have a blue book you can build your own obviously.... otherwise it's the usual suspects eg. Stuart Taylor, MK, Procomp etc - they all tend to be pretty similar as they all copy each others designs to a certain degree (allegedly) and they all cost about the same (£300-£400ish fitted?).Personaly, after watching Ian Grey able to walk away after barrel rolling his car down the hill at Cadwell this year, I'd suggest that unless your're super confident you know exactly what you're doing get one built and fitted by someone who does!

Fozzie

posted on 15/10/02 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

Yep as from this year a full roll cage is required.MK Engineering did me proud at a reasonable rate too! Safety shouldn't come at a price anyway even if its supposed to be 'locost'.
I've been around racing for four seasons now, but with the HSCC lot, not me racing, (not long got my licence), but 'pit crew' side. The 50's jags (XK's)have opened topped models, and as they are so old they don't have to comply with roll cages, they are so heavy any way they are less likely to roll than a locost. Having been round quite a few tracks at breakneck speed, please don't scrimp on the roll cage. Again, having been round the circuits, most recently at the Le mans 24 hours Classic in September (pit crewing) looking at the various roll cages, I know MK will do you proud! There is also a firm called Safety Devices, and I have seen some of theirs in the XK's, they are more expensive than MK and in my opinion not as solid. Fozzie

JohnFol

posted on 15/10/02 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments. I have found that Stuart Taylor / MK etc do cages from £300 - £350 + VAT + delivery + fitting +cuddly toy. . .

I have heard the phrase "blue book" before. What is it?

Fozzie

posted on 15/10/02 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
'The Blue Book' is the racers and all things motor sports Bible!
Everything regs (FIA +MSA) is in there. When you do your ARDS (racing licence) you have to apply for an ARDS pack from the MSA.Address is in Conlbrook but look on the website at www.msauk.org it will tell you all about it there and you can probably order online!
In your ARDS pack you get a video loads of booklets, driving application form (racing) and the very important Blue Book. You will need to study this especially the flags as the theory part of the ARDS test. Toward the back of the 'Bible' you will find a section with loads of various roll cage configurations! In the Locost regs it quotes the diagram number that we must comply with.
Hope it helps, if you're not yet ready to apply for the pack (I don't think its time limited), I'll scan it for you -the picture/diagram that is! Hope this helps, Fozzie

JohnFol

posted on 15/10/02 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
That would be good. My immediate concern is finishing the chassis without allowing for the mandatory fixtures.

Also I have deliberately not finished the boot area. Makes sense to use the lower mounting point of an apporoved cage as a guide for the boot layout!

Fozzie

posted on 15/10/02 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi JohnFol,
Done that but......I can't find an email address for you! u2u is no good as I can't send attachments!
Fozzie

Fozzie

posted on 15/10/02 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi JohnFol,
Just sent that through, thought I'd better warn you its a long email!!!!?
I assume that you have a copy of the locost regs.Otherwise its Q1,Q5,Q6,Q12 and Q10 you need to take note of.
Cheers, Fozzie

Rick

posted on 16/10/02 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone have the dimensions of a Roll cage?

There are a few of us on here that need it but don't have a blue book.

Who is going this weekend to Mallory?

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.