Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine For Racing - Advice
Visco

posted on 11/6/02 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Engine For Racing - Advice

I've taken the leap of faith and decide to build a Locost to race. I'm going to build the engine,gearbox & Trans etc etc first.

I've just got myself an engine which I'd like some advice on: -

1. The Cylinder head is a Type 37 not a Type 33 which says is the Ident for the 1300cc unit. I've measured the valves and there correct at 1.5 Inlet & 1.24 Exhaust. Is this head ok as I'm wanting to get in cleaned up and get new seats put in for Unleaded.

2. I think my block is a Low compression unit as it has T17 on stamped on it on the exhaust side. I take it this doesn't matter as the compression is done by the pistons, which again I've checked and they measure correct diameter and depth as stated in the rules.
Regards
Visco

JohnFol

posted on 27/8/02 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Are you saying it's a type 37 which you believe is from a 1300?
I have a 1300 that has a type 37 head, which is wrong as per Haynes, but matches valves sizes.

also, the block should be something like J1x J2x or J3x, whereas I too have a T stamp, T19 to be exact .. .

I am in the same position as you, wanting to race but want to make sure I am 'legitimate'.

JohnFol

posted on 5/9/02 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
I've now measured up my valves and confirm what you have found. (Pictures avaliable)

Also researching the unleaded bit. Amazing how many garages you contact who can't be bothered to call back ..

martin s

posted on 5/2/03 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
T numbers

The T number is the casting number, 20 casts were done from each mould, the higher the number the thicker the block (very important for overboring as only high T numbers can take a +0.90 bore)
As for the other numbers I cant remeber off the top of my head but 711 refers to the later stronger block I think there was a 689 and 68? which werent as strong

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.