Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 7/11/08 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
Lost the charger for my cycle lights :(

I'm just getting back into the biking scene and have dug out my old lights

CLICKY

Only thing is the charger has gone awol!! Obviously the instructions for the lights says dont use any other adapter than the one supplied - but i dont have it anymore!

The spec for the 'lost' adapter is Input: 230v/110v - Output: 7.5V 500MA

This is the battery: CLICKY

Is it worth contacting the company to see if the can send me a new charger?

Though I have a couple of chargers for other items but not with that exact spec -

1. input 240v at 50Hz - output: 7.5v 300ma - this one also has a polarity switch - what does that do??

2. input 240v at 50Hz - output 7.5v 1200ma

would either of the above work? If i found one with correlating figures to the original spec would that work?

or would need to purchase something like this? would it work?!?!

CLICKY

to add;

It seems that the battery may be useless after reading about not letting lead acid batteries sit doing nothing - which is exactly what mine has been doing for about 4 years!! Though i switch it on and its very bright, though that may not last??

Obviously i will see how these lights go first and see what you guys reckon about the chargers!! if its a case of buying the new cheap charger thats fine! see how it goes. Though if the light does not last long;

Perhaps i may have to look into buying a new battery and charger - how about these from maplins. i think they would be suitable?

CLICKY

CLICKY

Thanks for reading all this - i'm trying to speak my mind as to avoid confusing myself!!
Not really sure if anyone will find this question easy to answer or answerable at all! but hey ho! The lights are brill and i want to still be able to use them!

Thanks!!!

[Edited on 7/11/08 by iscmatt]

blakep82

posted on 7/11/08 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
i *think* power supply 2 should be fine. its that right voltage, and the liughts should draw whatever current they need to charge.

sure someone will correct me though

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mark G

posted on 7/11/08 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
I've got the exact same lights and charger sat downstairs on the chair waiting for me to charge up for my bike (Also rescued from winter a few years ago). Small world!

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 7/11/08 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark G
I've got the exact same lights and charger sat downstairs on the chair waiting for me to charge up for my bike (Also rescued from winter a few years ago). Small world!

Indeed! can you confirm what the figures are on your charger? do they match the spec i gave?

cheers!!

maartenromijn

posted on 7/11/08 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with Blakep82, however I think you can use either one of the chargers. Option 1 will charge slower, option 2 will charge quicker.

IIRC you need to divide the 4.5A by the charging current to get the charging time in hours: 4.5A/1200mA=3.75 hours.

Anyway, just try. What can go wrong with this HUGE battery?? Why not try to do it locost before spending big bucks?

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

02GF74

posted on 7/11/08 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iscmatt
The spec for the 'lost' adapter is Input: 230v/110v - Output: 7.5V 500MA

Though I have a couple of chargers for other items but not with that exact spec -

1. input 240v at 50Hz - output: 7.5v 300ma - this one also has a polarity switch - what does that do??

2. input 240v at 50Hz - output 7.5v 1200ma

would either of the above work? If i found one with correlating figures to the original spec would that work?

I've got those but mine a about 5 years old andthe silvering on the lamps is beginning to go so not as good as they used to be. At the time, they were good value but I guess LED lamps are the new black.

The battery is a 6 V lead acid cell. Small LA batteris like that are used for UPS so it may be not too upset about being left unused for a length of time. Mine is still going strong despite it not being used for aoubt 8 months of the year.

Either of those power suplies will work - the current is the max. value they can supply and will determine how lon it takes to charge the battery. As the battery charges, it will draw less current. with the higher output one, check the battery does not get too hot.

The polarity switch is to set the voltage polarity - there will be a cylindrical plug on the end of the charger, the outer is usually negatvie and the inside contact is positive; the switch will reverse that.

Ensure that the positive from the charger goes to the + terminal on the battery.

Mark G

posted on 7/11/08 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Charger spec

Ever Glow Ac Adaptor
Model : DCC080050
Input : 240v ~ 50 Hz
Output : 8Vdc 500mA

Battery Spec
PL4-6
6V 4.5Ah

Top cover reads
Battery:BP-502
Sealed lead-acid rechargeable battery 6v 4.5A
Charge time 8 - 10 hours
Fuse 5A 250V \6.3
Adapter:7.5v 500MA

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 7/11/08 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maartenromijn
I agree with Blakep82, however I think you can use either one of the chargers. Option 1 will charge slower, option 2 will charge quicker.

IIRC you need to divide the 4.5A by the charging current to get the charging time in hours: 4.5A/1200mA=3.75 hours.

Anyway, just try. What can go wrong with this HUGE battery?? Why not try to do it locost before spending big bucks?

So with the 300mA charger it would theoretically take 15hrs!!

The battery is pretty big, but delivers!!! As long as i can charge it

----

Thanks for the replies guys, most helpful as usual! I'll give it a blast with all your advice and see how it goes!

Cheers!!

MikeRJ

posted on 7/11/08 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
The current rating is the value they can supply continuously at the rated voltage, not the maximum amount of current they can supply! A 300mA adapter would overheat if asked to supply 500mA for any length of time.

Does the lamp include the charging circuit? If the original charging circuit was built into the adapter, don't use an alternative.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.