Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Track Day Car Lighting
mcg

posted on 1/1/11 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Track Day Car Lighting

Hi - I'm building a trackday only F27 (wont be used on the road at all) and wondered what I need to have in the way of lighting? (Front lights, brake lights, indicators)

Then the question would be, can anyone recomend the cheapest way (and simplest) of achieving the necessary lighting?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

matt_gsxr

posted on 1/1/11 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
I would guess brake lights and indicators, but its only a guess.

Paddock Spares will sell you Land Rover ones each at £2.35+Vat. So about £20 in total.

loggyboy

posted on 1/1/11 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on the trackday, some are for road legal cars only, meaning you wouldnt be able to race even with lights if it wasnt road registered. Some take track/race cars, meaning you wouldnt need them (i doubt you would even need fia rain/fog light as they would probly stop the track if weather was that bad.
RazMan

posted on 1/1/11 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Is a rain light compulsory on trackday cars?

*edit* you beat me to it

[Edited on 1-1-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JimSpencer

posted on 1/1/11 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Normally if it's not road legal then it's worded something like 'must be capable of passing scruitineering' so a rain light would be required.

But 'required' or not a Rain Light is a damn good idea, as is indicators (but with a dash mounted switch, not a stalk) IMHO.

speedyxjs

posted on 2/1/11 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
I would say some form of front lighting may be a good idea if there is any possibility you will drive it on a wet track.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

GMPMotorsport

posted on 2/1/11 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimSpencer
Hi

Normally if it's not road legal then it's worded something like 'must be capable of passing scruitineering' so a rain light would be required.

But 'required' or not a Rain Light is a damn good idea, as is indicators (but with a dash mounted switch, not a stalk) IMHO.

Most track days that we are involved with state that for "closed Wheel" cars they must have the usual lighting ie indicators, brake lights etc. It's a good idea to make sure that the car is able to pass scruitineering then there is no doubt of you be able to take part in the track day, one thing that has been high on the "not being allowed on track" is noise, always check with the organiser what the noise limits are, they will be clamping down more this year.

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 2/1/11 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
I try and keep an eye out for other cars waiting to pass at Track days. This usually happens when it is wet.

When it is wet and you want to pass other cars (like me) I would have your lights on on the front as it makes it much easier to be seen (I have no windscreen).
As for following cars, I guess rear lights are not that necessary unless it's dark, but brake lights are a must.

I have had a Morgan keeping up with me along a straight, and he did not realise how late I could brake. I had to take evasive action to stop a crash (I went straight thru the curve). Now I have a high level brake light too!

Indicators are also useful to tell other cars you are letting them past, and to signal that you are pulling into the pits.

My local track would probably let anything on to the track, but I have seen enough prangs and crap driving to not want to save weight or money by ditching any of the lights lights.

chris666

posted on 2/1/11 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
At Silverston when i did a motorsport vision track day, the only check i remember was a sound check.
I dont think lights are compulsory?

Chris

indykid

posted on 2/1/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
the book a track bat cats (hire and drive) at elvington had no lights and were an absolute nuisance because of it.

brake lights, head lights and indicators are a must imo. if you do winter track days, often, you'll have to have headlights for later in the day as the light fades

SeanStone

posted on 2/1/11 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
At a lot of tracks it is asked of your to indicate right to let the following car know that you're aware of them and it's safe for them to overtake. I presume hand signals aren't sufficient or encouraged in that instance so I would go for adding lights!
mcg

posted on 2/1/11 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Okeydokie - thanks for all the replies. I'll go on safe side and bang em all on there!

Cheers again

Matt

bigfoot4616

posted on 3/1/11 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
i wouldn't bother with indicators on an open car, never use mine on trackdays as hand signals are much better and you don't forget to stop signalling.
i would also leave the headlights of, again i've never needed to use mine. if visibility is that bad i'm coming of track

brake lights are a good idea though

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.