Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New or Not?
Daddylonglegs

posted on 21/1/11 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
New or Not?

I am starting my wiring loom (yes I know about PWS etc. but want to give it a go myself).

I have a fair bit of wire I've salvaged from the old donor loom which I have stripped out to single wires, and am not sure whether to use what I can from there or just bite the bullet and buy thinwall throughout?

Also, if I use thinwall, what size crimps will I need for the cables 11A, 17A and 25A?

All info welcome

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

blakep82

posted on 21/1/11 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
i'd go for new myself. if you're going through the whole process of stripping the old one, and reusing, you'd hate to find a broken wire at some point soon. if you buy new, you know its all new

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

designer

posted on 21/1/11 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Buy new thinwall as you might end up being short of some colours.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GMPMotorsport

posted on 21/1/11 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Buy new, just not worth the risk for the cost of new cable and you can make your own colour scheme.

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 21/1/11 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
I bought some trailer wire for doing the tunnel to rear of the car,
all very neat, cheap, and delivered!!

This type of thing, but thereare loads on ebay

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=trailer+wire&_sacat=See-All-Categories#

Peteff

posted on 21/1/11 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I stripped the Sierra loom and made my own using the Ford colours for everything where possible so it would be easy to follow. Check your continuity as yo go and you can't go far wrong.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 21/1/11 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
OK, you've convinced me to use thin wall , so what size crimps?

I have designed the wiring diagram and intend to cable up from that. I need to work out what current is going to be drawn where but I am thinking that the majority of cable I will be using will be 11A & 17A which I think (tell me if I'm wrong) can use red crimps (up to 1.5sq mm). And I guess blue (up to 2.5sq mm).

Comments guys please

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

jacko

posted on 21/1/11 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Get 12 core cable that way you have extra wires for thinks like fuel gauges / fuel pump etc
austin man

posted on 21/1/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
trailer cable is the way to go

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.