Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Changing tyres yourself
bi22le

posted on 26/1/11 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Changing tyres yourself

Hi,

Anyone changed a set of tyres without taking them to a tyre fitter?

How easy is it to get the tyres off (Hard I bet as Kart tyres were bad enough!)?

How can you balance a wheel at home?

Thoughts anyone?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

GMPMotorsport

posted on 26/1/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
It's not worth the bother and you would struggle getting the tyre off the rim with out the special tools, not a cost effective idea IMO.

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 26/1/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've done motorbike tyres before, which are bad enoughn(really bad on a cold day).

All I can say is it's worth the fiver or so per wheel to get it done at a tyre place in about 15 mins.

I don't think a modern car tyre could be done easily DIY, if it can it would take a long time and you'd probably make a mess of the rims.

daviep

posted on 26/1/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
I do mine on a tyre post all the time, takes a bit of care when doing alloys. Balancing I don't bother with usually, put them on try it, if there's no vibration then fine if there is then I get them balanced. I would guess at less than 20% get balanced.

I'm sure somebody will be along soon to tell me that I'm doing untold damage to my wheel bearings and balljoints but my van and car have probably done around 100,000 miles combined in the last 3 years and neither has needed wheel bearings or ball joints.

Davie

[Edited on 26/1/11 by daviep]

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

scootz

posted on 26/1/11 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Davie, you'll be doing untold damage to your wheel bearings and ball-joints!

It's Evolution Baby!

femster87

posted on 26/1/11 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
did mine myself when i got charged 15+ vat per wheel last time
The Baron

posted on 26/1/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
This is how i do it (thats me in the photos)

http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=204.0

will121

posted on 26/1/11 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
ive just taken 4 tyres off the rims to just take to the scrap yard and yes it is hard work and would fear damaging rims, if you only planning on fitting one set time you buy tyre levers etc might not be worth it.
to try get a good price phone round first and might get cheaper if you can leave the rims with them to fill a quiet time during the day

SteveWalker

posted on 26/1/11 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
In an emergency in the past (split spare tyre on my trailer and just about to set off on a 250 mile drive for a ferry, which I didn't want to chance without a spare) I've removed one the old fashioned way - put the wheel on the floor, have an assistant stand on one edge and drive a car onto the other edge. With the assistant bouncing the car wing up and down, the bead breaks free. As they were scruffy steel wheels and the tyre was no good, I wasn't worried about possible damage.

A passerby did comment that he hadn't seen anyone do that for a very long time.

T66

posted on 26/1/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Ive done Land Rover 750x16s before.....

I wouldnt even to think about doing to an alloy what I did to a steely. Breaking the bead takes several goes to get it all.

Then 2 tyre levers and a heavy Lada adjuster, pop lever under broken bead and hit lots with heavy Lada adjuster, after 15 minutes the first one will be off - only three more alloys to trash....

Ok in an emergency in the outback (we dont have any) , otherwise get a machine to do it

scootz

posted on 26/1/11 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Tried it once on a 13" minilite... nearly gave myself a hernia (oh, and failed!).

It's Evolution Baby!

Peteff

posted on 26/1/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
We laid a plank on the tyre up to the bead and drove a car onto the plank to break the bead then out with the levers. It was a long time ago and I wouldn't fancy it on new low profile tyres.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

martyn1137

posted on 26/1/11 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
When I was a boy I helped my Dad repair puntures in car and van tyres at his garage in the late 1960's . I learnt a lot of new words I hadn't heard before. All carried out by hand then, I even have some wacky looking tool for breaking the bead about here somewhere still.

That was on crossply tyres with aspect ratio of about 90 I suspect.

There is no way I would want to attempt to get modern low profile tyres off the rims, steel or alloy.

Like someone esle has said if you can leave them with an independent tyre fitter over a day it shouldn't cost much. Remember disposal of the old tyre is relatively costly now either for the fitter or personally.

JoelP

posted on 26/1/11 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
tyre disposal is free in leeds, along with all other domestic waste

On a similar theme of ridiculously difficult task, i managed to change a 180kg lintel over a window with one ladder, one prop, and no lifting equiptment! Damn. Took 4 hours to get it up to the right height!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

T66

posted on 26/1/11 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
tyre disposal is free in leeds, along with all other domestic waste

On a similar theme of ridiculously difficult task, i managed to change a 180kg lintel over a window with one ladder, one prop, and no lifting equiptment! Damn. Took 4 hours to get it up to the right height!

Hats off !

Mega Kahunas

Ninehigh

posted on 27/1/11 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen people doing wagon ones by hand.. With levers the length of a short person..

cliftyhanger

posted on 27/1/11 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a manual tyre changer and bar as I was getting through tyres on autosolos.
Some tyres are a real sod to get off, and the changer has a bead breaker attachment (manual, not hydraulic) which bent and I have since reinforced. Needs straightening again now though.
The manual bar looks as if it could easily cause damage to alloy wheels, but I think tyre levers would do the trick, especially if wrapped in gaffer tape or similar. Hard work though!
My changer has paid for itself through savings on tyres for thecars I run, plus a few mates have used it to swap tyres around and so on. I also bought one of the spirit level balancers, but as noted some tyres seem to need no weights at all, others I can never get right. They go on the back.....

Hot tip is to get some tyre paste, makes it much easier

rusty nuts

posted on 27/1/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Can I watch while you do them , I could do with a good laugh. I wouldn't even attempt to remove a tyre yhese days without a decent tyre changer .

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.