Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fury chassis for Alfa V6
Markymark

posted on 4/9/11 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Fury chassis for Alfa V6

Have not posted any progress on my car for a while, as Steve at Fury Sports Cars is pretty busy but it is starting to take shape now.

As some of you may remember it's and Alfa V6 going into a Fury.

With a few chassis mods and pulling the pedal box back it just about fits

Chassis 1
Chassis 1

Chassis 2
Chassis 2

Gearbox mount
Gearbox mount

Engine in chassis
Engine in chassis

Alfa V6 in Fury Chassis
Alfa V6 in Fury Chassis

I'm not a fan of the Sierra steering column, so Steve is trying to use the Alfa 164 unit

Alfa steering column
Alfa steering column

Alfa steering column 2
Alfa steering column 2

I have to say the quality of steve's work is fab and I can't wait to get the chassis in the garage and start the build, but first it's got to be hot zinc sprayed and powder coated.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome!

Mark

clairetoo

posted on 4/9/11 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thats gonna be amazing when its finished
What gearbox is it ? I looked at using the Alfa V6 , but found shortening the pedalbox on a completed car a bit daunting !

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Markymark

posted on 4/9/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Gearbox is from a 5 speed Mazda RX8, mating it to the engine was pretty straight forward, just have to wait and see what the clutch is like!

Mark

ashg

posted on 4/9/11 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
very nice. love the alfa v6 it makes a fab noise. is the box a straight bolt on job or needs an adaptor plate?

[Edited on 4/9/2011 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Markymark

posted on 4/9/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Needs an adaptor plate (home made), this can be seen in the last engine picture

Mark

tims31

posted on 4/9/11 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I saw this chassis in production when I went to the factory at the end of July. As you say, the craftmanship and quality of Steves work is great and he is very knowledgeable at what he does.

Be very interested to see this as it continues through the build. Will be placing my order with Steve very soon (just waiting for Steve to send me the new price list).

Please continue to post images

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

dickie b

posted on 4/9/11 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to see this project ! - I also toyed with the idea of the 12V Alfa V6 into my (live axle) Fury.. a decision purely driven by the fabulous sound of the engine on what would be fairly short run exhaust pipes.

In the end I took the easy option and went for all Caterham 1.8 k-series running gear (engine, box, bellhousing, electrics etc..) - but still have the hankering idea to (one day) drop in the alfa engine, post IVA etc.

Keep us posted on the build - it will be great to see (and hear !) when finished.

snapper

posted on 5/9/11 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
Are there any bonnet clearance issues?
Does look good and the sound will be amazing

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Markymark

posted on 5/9/11 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Might need a small bonnet bulge over the inlet manifold, depends on how low Steve has managed to get it with reasonable ground clearance

Mark

The Black Flash

posted on 12/9/11 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Mark - are you using the stock flywheel ?
I had a custom one made for my alfa v6, (easy way of getting a clutch to fit), but then found out that the engine is externally balanced - ie the flywheel is out-of-balance. So the whole short engine has to be balanced together, which is more £££. Just so you know...

Bare

posted on 13/9/11 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
2 valve?

So that's the 150 hp 2 valve Early version?
Haven't seen one of those for years.

clairetoo

posted on 13/9/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
So that's the 150 hp 2 valve Early version?
Haven't seen one of those for years.

I thought they were 196BHP.................? The 2.0 L twin spark were 150 , and felt totally gutless after driving a 3.0 (I two V6's , swapped down to a twin-spark to try and save some petrol money , and I hated it )

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

ashg

posted on 13/9/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
why have a bonnet bulge just have a hole to show off the inlet pipes in all their chrome goodness.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

The Black Flash

posted on 13/9/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
why have a bonnet bulge just have a hole to show off the inlet pipes in all their chrome goodness.

Funny you should say that, here's what I did last week:

Might be a bit too subtle though

I think that the 12v has a more sensible central plenum, rather than the offset one I've got. So a central scoop or bulge would work.

locobladeracer

posted on 25/9/11 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
The Alfa V6 is an amazing engine. its only draw back could be said its a little heavy coming in near enough the same as a rover V8.

I have owned and run cars with these engines in for years and in all states of tune. I have even rebuilt one in a pit garage at silverstone for a stratos kit running in the british GT's back in the late 90's.

The 12 valve has a great flat torque curve producing max torque at just over 1500 Rpm all the way to 6500/7000.

The best power mods are:

raise the compression to about 10.5 to 1.

Gas flow the heads.

a good set of cams, not autodelta ones you wont be impressed, if you need info get intouch.

An aftermarket ECU will see an instant 20 Bhp rise (so a touch over 200 Bhp on a standard motor) from getting rid of the airflow meter. Dont bother with throttle bodies on a 12V it does not have the gas speed to use them. A 24V though responds well to them and you can see upto 280 Bhp just by fitting them and an ECU (220 Bhp as standard).

My last tuned 12V made 260 Bhp and was only a touch lumpy in traffic. This also ran standard exhaust manifolds.

as for sorting out a clutch use the 164 flywheel and you wont need to balance it.

Gearboxes I have a modified cosworth T5 i had a few extra nugets welded on to match the block, then used a saab release bearing/slave inside the bellhousing.

If you need to know anything else give me a shout.

Matt

[Edited on 25/9/11 by locobladeracer]

[Edited on 25/9/11 by locobladeracer]

Bare

posted on 1/10/11 at 01:49 AM Reply With Quote
Ok... V6 Honda motor is 275 hp, likely Lighter and For Sure A helluva lot more reliable.
MikeRJ

posted on 1/10/11 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Ok... V6 Honda motor is 275 hp, likely Lighter and For Sure A helluva lot more reliable.

Which Honda has the 275bhp V6? And more importantly, can it be bought as easily and for similar money to the Alfa?

Hopefully we aren't talking about the NSX...

[Edited on 1/10/11 by MikeRJ]

mrwibble

posted on 1/10/11 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

but its an ALFA v6!

locobladeracer

posted on 1/10/11 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Bare. what reliability issues do you refer to as I know of only 2 that inflict the Alfa V6 and one is the engine/ecu/fuel pump relay and the valve guide oil seals going at about 125000 miles.

They sound better and generally produce more torque than any other V6 of the same capacity.

its also very simple.

[Edited on 1/10/11 by locobladeracer]

owelly

posted on 1/10/11 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
The newest Honda Accord has a 275bhp V6 but I doubt you'll find one of those complete with ancilliaries for £70....
I still have an Alfa V6 with a munched top end if anyone wants it for scrap price? I sold the other engine complete with the V6 to Type9 bellhousing, shortened sump and pickup, modified alternator, altered low plenum and rocker covers, hydraulic concentric slave cylinder,etc for about £25 on Ebay a few months ago.

ETA linky.. http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=152796&page=2

[Edited on 1/10/11 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Markymark

posted on 1/10/11 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All

BlackFlash: yes stock 164 fly wheel, with a machined bearing holder for the spigot shaft, that aligns in the end of the crankshaft. Will all be lightened and balanced anyway.
I'm using a 164 plenum which is the same as yours. 75 V6 plenums are central but a lot higher!

I have been following your build sight with great interest, keep up the good work.

I've owned several Alfas and allways wanted a V6. To be honest I started out with the engine and thought "what can I put that in "

Locobladeracer: Thanks for the info, have just been reading the Alfa V6 tunung manual that just came out. Not going to go too mad, but will run aftermarket ECU, up the compresion ratio, good exhaust system, lighten and balanced bottom end.
Then if it still feels slow when it's built I've god another engine I can build up to a bigger spec.

ETA What's the top rpm with a standard bottom end?

Mark

[Edited on 1/10/11 by Markymark]

locobladeracer

posted on 2/10/11 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
i have run 12V to 7500 Rpm with no problems and had a 24V to 8000 Rpm. The bottom ends are very good. The only failures I have seen are on racing cars. I have had one spin a big end bearing and one major blow up, but this engine had been raced hard for 4 seasons with out a rebuild.

hope this helps.

Markymark

posted on 2/10/11 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, thought that was the case, they just run out of power just under 6k in standard form, so with work mentioned above would you expect there to be any more power higher up the rev range?

Thanks for all the info, it's realy helpful

Mark

locobladeracer

posted on 2/10/11 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
As with all engine tuning you put cams in and head work. It will make more power and torque but it will all move up the rev range. If you need any work doing I will put you in touch with the right guy.
Markymark

posted on 2/10/11 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks I keep that in mind

Mark

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.