Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Drive around at Donny
Avoneer

posted on 23/8/04 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Drive around at Donny

Hi Guys,
Being a track virgin, what's the crack with insurance and driving around a track (donny) for the very first time.
Cheers,
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
shortie

posted on 23/8/04 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I came across the question of insurnace on trackdays when I had the Lotus and it was a big subject for debate!

Technically you will find your policy will probably excude timing, racing, rallying, etc. On the face of it this would suggest that as you are not doing any of these on a trackday and technically just driving round a track you should be covered, but it is not as simple as that!

The likelyhood is that if you had an accident and tried to claim then your insurance company would reject it straight away as they will deduce that if it happened on a racetrack then you must have been racing. You could then argue this and eventually if they still said no then you could go to the Insurance Ombudsman and then it could go either way, you may or maynot win your case. In any event it will take ages.

Basically the only way to be sure you would get paid out in the event of an accident is to take out a specific policy for the day (a company called Competition Car Insurance do these, but cover is not cheap) or have normal insurance that explicitly covers you for trackdays (I used to be covered by Lotus Esteem but they only do Lotus).

To be honest I have always found the driving on trackdays to be fine and never had a problem, but I suppose it depends how far you push it and there is always a certain amount of risk.

If it was me (and this is ONLY my personal view) I would go and enjoy it and not worry, I love being on track and there is nothing like it as far as I am concerned!

Sorry it's a bit long but it's worth knowing what the score is before the event!

HTH,
Rich.

Avoneer

posted on 23/8/04 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply Rich.
Nice to know all these things and have the opportunity to collect opinions and experiences before hand to educate me!
Any tips or ideas for first ever drive on a track?
Cheers,
Pat....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
shortie

posted on 24/8/04 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
At least you know what the score is now, I do have a bit of inside info as my brother is an Insurance Ombudsman so I asked him.

As far as tips go I just made sure I took it slow to start with and as the day went on and I got more confident I started to find I was passing some people. Main thing is just not to worry about other people passing you, remember they had to start somewhere and you'll soon be going faster.

I think the most important thing is to make sure you enjoy it and I found I often spent alot of time just chattting to other drivers and looking at their cars in the pits and learning from them.

I'm sure you'll have a great day, I am there on the Saturday (although not on the track as the car is not finished yet!) so if I can I'll come and say hello.

Best of luck,
Rich.

Avoneer

posted on 24/8/04 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers mate.
Pat...

stevebubs

posted on 12/1/05 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Donington or Doncaster? Presumably the former?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.