Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: Any tilers out there?
Markymark

posted on 16/8/12 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
OT: Any tilers out there?

Hi

Not posted on here for a while due to doing the house up and building a bigger garage

Want to tile our hall way, through our old kitchen and into the new kitchen extention.

The Hall is overlaid ply, old kitchen is quarry tiles and new is sand/cement scread.

Spoke to a guy in Topps Tiles and BAL tech help, both said Rapidflex adhesive and prime the old tiles and not the ply

Every body else I have spoken to, says prime the ply, some with PVA and some with special primer

Don't want to get this wrong as it's not a cheap exercise.

Here's hoping someone on here can put my mind at rest

Many thanks in advance

Mark

whitestu

posted on 16/8/12 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
When I tiled our bathroom over ply I dind't prime it but did use adhesive specifically for tiling on wood.

I had no issues and they were in for several years before we moved.

Stu

cliftyhanger

posted on 16/8/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I would take the advice of whatever adhesive maker you use. If using BAL, and they say don't prime the ply, then best to assume they know what they are talking about.

Too many tradesmen think they know better than the manufacturers, but often get away with it.

Markymark

posted on 16/8/12 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

That was my thinking, do "whatever it says on the tin" so to speak

Just thought i'd get some other points of view from "The Collective Brain"

Mark

Stott

posted on 16/8/12 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Never use pva to prime for tiling though, this is covered in depth on all the tile forums, use proper primer like bal apd.

Also look the job up properly to make sure you use the right stuff for the tile in question.

The colour of the adhesive matters too as it can bleed through certain tiles and stain them during setting, which is also why sometimes it's vital to use a rapidset as it goes off before there's chance of staining.

I used bal rapidset flex White for my last tiling job, mixed up in workable quantities as the pot life is around 25 mins and then it sets very very quickly. It means cleaning up a lot in between mixes but it's the way to go. 4kg max at a time for me with potchy areas needing 1kg a time as they took so long.

I can recommend tile fix direct for buying adhesive, grout etc, very cheap for the stuff and free next day over £50 iirc, don't buy at topps unless you can get trade or don't like money.

Same applies for the grout when it comes to rapid or normal set, do some reading before you splash out, as you know it ain't cheap, my addy, grout and tanking was about £450 no joke.

Disclaimer: I'm not a tiler but have recently done a big job for myself and it's all still up

Markymark

posted on 16/8/12 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Stott

Grey porcelain tiles so grey adhesive will be ok. Yea read about PVA but loads of people still saying to use it!

Will check out tile fix direct for prices though Topps did say they would set me up as trade.

I thought the tiles were dear enough, b the time you add the adhisive, grout and primer it's frightening, that's why I want to get it right first time.

Mark

JoelP

posted on 16/8/12 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Topps tried to rip me off the other day. I went in for a bag of adhesive for porcelain tiles, they said £27! Specifically said they only had the one type. I said b&q was only £20, and he without hesitation said he'd do it for £20. I told him i hadnt bought it at b&q because that was too expensive anyway, said i would pay no more than £15 - he umms and ahs for a moment, then gets out a bag of 'trade' adhesive, normally only for account holders, which he can do for £15. And as i walk out, he says its only £11 if you have an account. So the price fell from £27 with no alternatives, to £11.

Main thing id say about tiling is make sure the concrete floor is perfectly flat and level - even a few mm can leave you with uneven tiles, if if you try to correct it with adhesive, its easy to end up with voids underneath that sound hollow and break easily.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

macc man

posted on 16/8/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have used both methods with primer and without. Not had any bad feedback from customers so either method seems fine.
Be carefull if you are going from one substate to another as the difference in expansion can cause tiles to crack. You can get a mesh to go over the join area to stop this problem. I use tile giant a lot for adhesive and not had any issues. If you get a trade account the difference in price is substantial. Good luck.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.