Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are Zetecs as good as I think they are.
emwmarine

posted on 28/3/13 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Are Zetecs as good as I think they are.

Stripping down my Blacktop at the moment and soon to send my sump off to Strontium Dog on here.

However the reason for the strip down and replacement of bearings, water pump etc, was that I bought the engine from an ebay scrappy with'76k' miles on it. Given they are still selling 2.0l zetecs with 76k miles and the same photo as mine meant that I have put little credence in the mileage.

The rusty outside appearance and the black sludge oil did little to make the think anything other than the engine would be worn out.

However last week looking at the camshafts, I couldn't see any wear on the cams.

This evening I started stripping down the bottom end and I can't see any wear on either the crank journals or the bearings.

So assuming the engine has probably see 100k miles - and judging by the oil, without much maintenance towards the end, these zetecs must be pretty good to look like new when stripped down after that.

My old pinto looked shagged out after 30k hard miles.

p.s. Is this right for fitting standard con rod bolts?

BEARING BOLTS / CONROD BOLTS

Stage 1: 25 Nm
Stage 2: 60 degrees

Building a Dax Rush.

daniel mason

posted on 28/3/13 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
they are very good.nice and compact too! my uncles running circa 160bhp on dellortos and has had no issues whatsoever in over 5 years of abuse!

SCAR

posted on 28/3/13 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Modern engine design and manufacturing tollerances and modern oils = 250k plus engines
big_wasa

posted on 28/3/13 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
They are a great all round lump
ashg

posted on 28/3/13 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
have you checked it with feeler gagues, micrometers, dial gauges, and plasti gauges? there is no way a 70-100k engine wont have any wear.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

john_p_b

posted on 28/3/13 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
have you checked it with feeler gagues, micrometers, dial gauges, and plasti gauges? there is no way a 70-100k engine wont have any wear.

of course it will have wear but i've stripped zetecs down with 150k on them and they have only given up due to lack of servicing etc, bores were fine and had it not been for the lack of oil the shells would have been pretty good too!

cracking engines really.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

Autoflock Motorsport

posted on 29/3/13 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
They are great engines, im currently building a N/A 2.0 zetec aiming for early 200's, cams are fine for that power, only real issue is the oil pump, especially when boosted, anything over 7300rpm then be weary, not heard any problems with n/a though but on the boosted side they always fail when cammed and reving towards the glorious 8000 mark

Kind regards

Raj

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=183445

bi22le

posted on 29/3/13 at 01:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Autoflock Motorsport
They are great engines, im currently building a N/A 2.0 zetec aiming for early 200's, cams are fine for that power, only real issue is the oil pump, especially when boosted, anything over 7300rpm then be weary, not heard any problems with n/a though but on the boosted side they always fail when cammed and reving towards the glorious 8000 mark

ah, and Thats when you wished you had a 4age ( ducks and runs for cover)!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

emwmarine

posted on 29/3/13 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg

I didn't say it didn't have any wear, I just thought that compared to other obviously shagged engines I have stripped there was no visible wear.

Building a Dax Rush.

rusty nuts

posted on 29/3/13 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think I would bother stripping a Zetec to rebuild unless I was going to modify it , they are costly to rebuild but available very cheaply second hand probably due to lack of demand as they are so reliable?
emwmarine

posted on 29/3/13 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
I don't think I would bother stripping a Zetec to rebuild unless I was going to modify it , they are costly to rebuild but available very cheaply second hand probably due to lack of demand as they are so reliable?

All I am doing is putting new shells in as I want to replace the con rod bolts anyway. Just surprised at the condition of it.

Building a Dax Rush.

britishtrident

posted on 29/3/13 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Modern engines last almost forever mainly due to synthetic oils that don't don't sludge and are less viscous at cold starts.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.