Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: first ever track day!!
daz928sb

posted on 17/7/15 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
first ever track day!!

hi guys,

i am pondering on doing my first ever track day in my mac1 zx10r?

i have had the car for about 4 months now trying to get used to my 1st bike engined car

can anybody tell me what i should take or look out for as in ; do i need to take a set of tyres? fuel ? or any tips would be appreciated!?

also i live in taunton somerset, and wondered where and when would be a good place to start??

adithorp

posted on 17/7/15 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, get it on track! It's the best place to learn whart the car is really capable of... and BECs reallycome into their own on track, especially tight circuits.

I take a couple of Jerry cans of fuel as most circuits either do't have a supply or chargever the odds if they do. Dont forget a funnel or pump to transfer it.
Helmet, long slieved top and long trousers are required and your driving licence. Don't forget those or you'll have a wasted trip.
Spare oil/fluids. Some tools, particularly anything that is needed on your car thats unusual... It doesn't have to be comprehensive list as most track dayers are friendly and willing to help out if someone is stuck. Zip-ties, gaffer tape.

As long as you have a decent amount of tread on the tyres you won't need spares as you're unlikely to wear them too much on your first time. If you're driving there you'll need enough tread left to drive home safely.

Give the car a good check over defore the day. Check you're tyres presures after you've been on track as they'll rise significantly when hot and wheel nuts torques and fluids during the day.

I find it's use full to miss the big rush to get out, first 20mins in the morning and go out as they all start coming back in. Don't be a hero and keep sessions down to 15-20mins. Give the car a n easy lap before coming back into the pits and leave the handbrake off when you do come back in. Try and book some instruction (usually £20 for 2min and well worth it).

Llandow isn't bad for a first track and not too far.

Most of all... ENJOY!

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

welderman

posted on 17/7/15 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
+1 to Ady

If you have a few scary bits don't let them put you off. Just laugh it off and have fun

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Jenko

posted on 17/7/15 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Do it.....

A few things the often catch people out....

Exhaust and induction noise - make sure these are both within the limits of the track day.
Instruction will probably bee the best £20 spent as mentioned
Tool kit
build yourself up over the day - last lap should be fastest :-)
Enjoy it :-)

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

Digimon

posted on 17/7/15 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I always take spanners and a small socket set just in case anything works loose on the day

Full tank in the car + 20L's of spare fuel or though I've never used more than 10L of that on a day.

Tyre pressure gauge and pump

Engine Oil, brake fluid and a 5L water bottle ( for me and the car lol )

cable ties and gaffer tape always come in handy

Trolley jack

Wooden tyre wedge so I don't need to use the hand brake in the pits after each session

[Edited on 17/7/15 by Digimon]

TimC

posted on 17/7/15 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Given your location, I'd say Llandow is a great place to start. It's fairly short and therefore easy to learn, friendly and has no noise limits (your BEC is unlikely to be suitable for, say, Castle Combe.)

SJ

posted on 17/7/15 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Plenty of fuel - I've used a tank plus 30l in the past.

Also go prepared for the weather.

Jon Ison

posted on 17/7/15 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Shame your not closer to Blyton, Franks track day would be perfect for you, almost everyone who goes knows each other, great friendly helpful bunch so any car issues would be molested by the mob plus the circuit whilst quick and technical in places is very safe and perfect for somone to cut their track day teeth.

Would you be trailering the car? If so I would seriously consider traveling to Blyton and camp out the night before, perfect introduction to track days and you would be made most welcome.

Pizza, I wasn't meat feast pizza

Matt21

posted on 17/7/15 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I find taking a full tank of fuel, plus 20 litres in a jerry can is enough for the morning, then I nip out at the lunch break, fill the car and top the jerry can up if needed for the afternoon.

No spare tyres needed, unless you are planning on using slicks and have different tyres for if it rains

One thing that I think is worth highlighting, is keep an eye on your mirrors. If someone is approaching make it easy for them to pass, ie, not full throttle on the straights. I have been stuck behind 'faster cars' lap after lap because they have more umph on the straights, get to the corners and they're holding me up big style.
You can only overtake on one side too, they will explain that at the briefing though.
Camping the night before is brilliant, means you can get up and have a chill out whilst everyone else is frantic unpacking after travelling to the track

You'll really enjoy trackdays, prepared to end up spending a fortune on them after your first!

twybrow

posted on 17/7/15 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
I would recommend Hullavington and Keevil. Your closest is likely to be Castle Coombe but you might find it tricky to pass the noise test.

Enjoy!

HappyFather

posted on 17/7/15 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Install racechrono on your phone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.racechrono.pro

There is a free and a pro version. If you don't have a gopro-like camera to mix video with speed and g-force, probably the free version is enough.

Just turn it on, select the track and press "Start" before going on the track. Put the phone on your pocket. It will store your laps, times, optimal time, etc. I love it. And using the data overlaid on a video is great!

bi22le

posted on 17/7/15 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
A large bottle of water (for you when you get out, or your car in an emergency)
A fold up seat to relax in when out of the car
Some Sunglasses that you can wear inside you crash helmet

Plenty of money (fuel, food, emergency spares!)

On the Fuel front. I use approx 50L on an open pit track day. If all goes well though, Im out a lot.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

jmad

posted on 18/7/15 at 05:18 AM Reply With Quote
First track day

Hi, I'm also in Taunton and a track day Virgin. I was looking at hullavington or one of the other airfields, just because there is less to hit first time out if it goes wrong. Drop me a pm as I'd love to see the car. I used to have a BEC but have a CEC now. There are a couple of local groups about, some of which do track days.
mark chandler

posted on 18/7/15 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Think about installing a large red light on your dashboard connected to the oil light, as your cornering speeds increase you want clear warning if the oil is sloshing away from the pickup, not sure on a zx10 but for blade engines 20ml overfill is recommended. Have you a baffle fitted, if not sort this out first.
daniel mason

posted on 18/7/15 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with adi and Jon ison!
Get it on track,enjoy yourself,look after the car and keep safe! Blyton park would be a great starting point if your towing it and can. Are the time to camp over and meet the guys! I miss them days

[Edited on 18/7/15 by daniel mason]

bigfoot4616

posted on 18/7/15 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
for blade engines 20ml overfill is recommended.

a bit more than that might help

Hakuraa

posted on 18/7/15 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Good advice by all respondents above especially about preparations and meeting the criteria for your planned track day

Taking in to account all of our cars tend to be individual:

my ZX10 Worx records 99dba as a static test (Cadwell Park testers figure) @ 9000prm, with MAC1 airbox and supplied silencer, now 4 years old without an repack etc others may be different
MAC1 factory recommendations are - oil should be top of the sight glass with the engine off if you have a standard sump, say you do not have to have a modified sump as it is so deep as standard, just be aware how low it is. Check the crankcase breather under the air box is routed somewhere safe as mine was just left and blew oil all over the engine bay - now in to a catch tank, which lets me visually check if the engine has used any oil during a session without resorting to the mirror and torch routine
As everyone else says - go on a track day and just enjoy it, start slow and build up from there, drive your own pace you have paid exactly the same as others for the experience.

daz928sb

posted on 26/7/15 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys id just like to say thanks very much to all of you for all the fantastic advice you have given.
im sure that covers all.
i am so looking forward to my first day.. probably trailor it..
thanks again, when it happens i will post my experience

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.