Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Problems
yogibear1969

posted on 14/1/16 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel Problems

OK,
I have a problem with what I think is some contaminant in the fuel tank.
Despite new fuel lines, two filters ,y odel jets still clog up with a gel like substance.
I can only assume there's something in the tank; old french fuel?; that dissolves in the fule so gets past the filters then sticks to the idles jets and eventually blocks one!
Redstar on the JPSC Forum suggests ethanol in petrol?
I have taken a few pics today with an endoscope but the results aren't great, I'll try and upload here and all advice welcome.
Now, is it possible to get the tank cleaned in situ? Or will I have to remove the tank from the car?
I am now thinking I need to remove tank and get ot steamed.
Edd

40inches

posted on 14/1/16 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Possibly Silicon, that turns into a slimy gel when in contact with petrol?
nick205

posted on 14/1/16 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure what would cause that to happen!

On my Indy I used some black windscreen sealant to help bond the Sierra fuel level sender into my ally fuel tank. Small particles got into the fuel and blocked the filter starving the engine of fuel. Removing the tank, emptying it and blasting the fuel line with compressed air resolved the issue.

Removing the tank was hard work as I had to remove the rear panel to get access to the nuts and bolts!

ETA...I would also highlight that my fuel lines were Ø8mm copper pipe with rubber fuel hoses between the tank and fuel pump.

[Edited on 14/1/16 by nick205]

hizzi

posted on 14/1/16 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
fuel hose degrading?
yogibear1969

posted on 14/1/16 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Replaced all the fuel hoses and filters last year but same problem. I am not aware of how silicon would get into fuel tank!
40inches

posted on 14/1/16 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yogibear1969
Replaced all the fuel hoses and filters last year but same problem. I am not aware of how silicon would get into fuel tank!

Usually sealing the fuel level sender. However, if you are saying that the tank is heavily contaminated, Silicon is not likely a suspect.

yogibear1969

posted on 14/1/16 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't the silicon be caught by filters?
Whatever, I think the best solution is tank out!
Edd

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by yogibear1969

Usually sealing the fuel level sender. However, if you are saying that the tank is heavily contaminated, Silicon is not likely a suspect.

obfripper

posted on 14/1/16 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
By the sound of it your fuel system has bacterial contamination.
It happens more often with modern fuels due to the higher bio content, and is more likely the less the car is used.
A fuel stabiliser additive may get the bacteria under control without having to remove the tank, Fuel Stabiliser Additive - Keep Stored Petrol Fresh - Classic Car Motorbike
The jelly you've got in your fuel is detritus from the bacterial life cycle, similar to the jelly you get in your screenwash when it doesn't get used.

Dave

yogibear1969

posted on 14/1/16 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds exactly like it, I did suspect so as the last few years apart from le Mans it hasn't gone very far so has had fuel sat in it for many months as was never good at draining down as always hoped to go for a drive but life got in the way!
Do you think the stabiliser will sort the bacteria in there without removing tank?
I may remove tank anyway to be sure. I'll at least get some for future and in case tank is too hard to get out, don't think it should be too bad just need that valuable commodity time!
Thanks
Edd

quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
By the sound of it your fuel system has bacterial contamination.
It happens more often with modern fuels due to the higher bio content, and is more likely the less the car is used.
A fuel stabiliser additive may get the bacteria under control without having to remove the tank, Fuel Stabiliser Additive - Keep Stored Petrol Fresh - Classic Car Motorbike
The jelly you've got in your fuel is detritus from the bacterial life cycle, similar to the jelly you get in your screenwash when it doesn't get used.

Dave

obfripper

posted on 14/1/16 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not too sure whether the bacterial residue will breakdown/dissolve with the fuel stabilizer, but it will inhibit any further growth by allowing the condensation, bioethanol and petrol to mix as a solution so there is no interface for the bacteria to grow on.

It looks like Wynns do a biocide additive Link, its got some guidance on use and claims to kill and prevent bacteria.

Dave

[Edited on 14/1/16 by obfripper]

alfas

posted on 17/1/16 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
its impossible to clean the tank properly insitu

i guess you still have the original steel bmc-mini-tank fitted?

this tank has not a bottom drainage plug.

so tank needs to come out, flushed with water, check for internal corrosion. in case of yes, you can "restore" the inner side of the tank with a special paint. also preventative i would weld / braze a drainage plug on the bottom of the tank b4, also change the fuel sender and its seal.

steve m

posted on 17/1/16 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Personly i would not wash the tank out with water, but use thinners or white spirit

water will increase the tank to rust if its steel, no matter how you dry it

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

alfas

posted on 17/1/16 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
you need to wash it with high pressure, to get all the gunk out ...than you use such a rust converter

http://www.rostio.de/shop/rostio-tankentroster-1-liter-tankentrostung-konzentrat

http://www.rostio.de/shop/en/

this concentrate need to be mixed with water, by the way.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.