Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice on engine
Steve Bird

posted on 15/10/02 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Advice on engine

Hi all.
I have been reading with interest other threads about 1300 GT engines.
My situation is that I hope to race but have a very small budget. The engine from my donor is a 1.3lc (and a pretty knackered one at that!) Can it be uprated to GT spec if so what is involved?
Or would it be more cost effective to buy a GT engine? If so where do I look and what sort of money should I expect to pay?

JohnFol

posted on 16/10/02 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
There are a few posts about the differences, however the main ones are . .

Cam, inlet manifold + carb, compression ratio.

However if your current engine is pretty knackered, then you may have no option.

Price wise, it depends how lucky you get. You hear of engines from £50 to one recently posted for £1500. If you want a race tuned engine, there are people on this forum who prepare engines.

I paid < £50 for inlet manifold and carb which were in excellent condition. I too need a GT cam, and saw a genuine ford one on eBay that went for £37. They can be bought new directly from Kent Cams for around £70 + £26 ish for followers. They have a part (P103/4?) that is apporved for the race series.

What stage of the build are you at ?

Best of luck

Rick

posted on 16/10/02 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Jon do you have your roll cage fitted yet?

I could do with the dimensions if you have them .
I don't have a blue book to get them from.

Will you be there Sunday?

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rick

posted on 16/10/02 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Der ! sorry Jon just saw the other thread.

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve Bird

posted on 16/10/02 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I am at an early stage at the moment, I have a rolling chassis but unfortunately it isn't race legal so will have to start again. My concern about an engine is if I buy a secondhand engine I have no guarantee that it's going to be any good, I may end having to rebuild it. If that's the case I may aswell rebuild the one I have.
From what I gather I would need a set of pistons and rebore, camshaft, valve seats need doing for unleaded and new exhaust valves for GT cam.
The carb I have already. Sounds like an expensive bill already and thats presuming the bottom end is ok

JohnFol

posted on 17/10/02 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Rick, thaks for the thought, however you are right. I am currently doing the research . .

Steve, a GT cam does not require new exhaust valves. To get the most power from the engine within regulations you may have to, however according to Haynes manual (and a few posts here ie me and Dave B) the heads are identical between the 1300GT, 1300 and 1600. Only the 1600GT has larger than regs valves.

Which carb do you currently have?

JohnFol

posted on 21/10/02 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, have a look at this ad.
Click Me
He's got a pair of HC engines, boxes etc. . .

Steve Bird

posted on 24/10/02 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
thanks.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.