Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pinto breather set up
john_p_b

posted on 12/9/16 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
pinto breather set up

thought i'd take things back to the old school and ask a pinto related question!

on my Indy i have a oil catch tank, cheap ebay thing. got a hose coming from the block where the old kidney box once was but i've replaced that with a straight adapter that goes to one inlet on the catch tank. the other is blanked off then there's a drain on the bottom of it and a filter on the top to let it breathe.

other than around the filler cap there's no way for the head to breathe, when giving it big beans it's been known to spew a bit of oil out around the cap which ends up on the exhaust and causes me to have a twitchy bum. i can't fit a taller filler cap with breather hose as there's no room under the bonnet, i'm wondering if anyone has put a fitting in the cam cover and ran a breather pipe that way? i'm also thinking if i can let it breathe better it might stop constantly leaking oil around the cam cover too.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

chris

posted on 12/9/16 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
you can buy a oil filler cap with a breather port on it
I think burton sell them
or you might find a cheaper version on ebay

[Edited on 12/9/16 by chris]

mcerd1

posted on 12/9/16 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen it done before, a fitting welded / brazed into the end of the cam cover, with something inside to act as a splash guard

others have moved the filler altogether - like this:
Rescued attachment mk_P1010020.jpg
Rescued attachment mk_P1010020.jpg

-

john_p_b

posted on 12/9/16 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
chris,

yeah i've seen them like this .......cap with breather

but the one i currently have is like this ..... cap without breather

there's only a few mm clearance between the top of the current cap and the bonnet so the taller one with the breather outlet will be too high.

i don't really want to relocate the filler to the rear of the cover as i've had it painted to go with my engine bay and want to avoid that cost again if i can, that's why i was questioning just drilling a hole for something like a -10 fitting straight out of the cover.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

mcerd1

posted on 12/9/16 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by john_p_b
i don't really want to relocate the filler to the rear of the cover as i've had it painted to go with my engine bay and want to avoid that cost again if i can, that's why i was questioning just drilling a hole for something like a -10 fitting straight out of the cover.

I don't see why you couldn't do that as long as your careful were you fit it (you don't want the cam throwing all the oil strait into it )

-

jacko

posted on 12/9/16 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
I blocked the top rocker breather off and had no problems
you have removed the one way valve from the sump breather haven't you ?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FuryRebuild

posted on 12/9/16 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
My experience is that pintos really need to breathe. I sealed off the top of my (burton) cam cover to reduce the height of it, and then had a 1" diameter piece take-off point welded on to the front of the cover. I also replaced the breather valve with a Burton valve (which basically is a very low pressure valve). The outlets were t'd together and put to a catch-tank. I would spew oil into the tank if over-filled, but certainly made a difference.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

chris

posted on 12/9/16 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like you are going to have to drill a hole then as suggested
I would look at a 10mm brass plumbing fitting
But I would being a plumber

snapper

posted on 13/9/16 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote
There are several ways of doing this
Easy way is to cut a hole in the rocker and put a fitting in
The bigger the better for the block I run 16mm from the block
You can run block to cam cover and a separate one from cam cover to catch tank
Catch tank must be vented and the best ones are baffled and have wire wool to desperate the oil and condensates from the gasses

Pinto breathing was a real problem on one of mine and took the fitting of a proper vented tank and large pipes to calm it down

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

john_p_b

posted on 13/9/16 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild
My experience is that pintos really need to breathe. I sealed off the top of my (burton) cam cover to reduce the height of it, and then had a 1" diameter piece take-off point welded on to the front of the cover. I also replaced the breather valve with a Burton valve (which basically is a very low pressure valve). The outlets were t'd together and put to a catch-tank. I would spew oil into the tank if over-filled, but certainly made a difference.

i fitted one of THESE when i did a bit of a overhaul on it a couple of years back, i blew through it both ways before fitting so presumed it had no valve inside it?

i'm thinking of putting the fitting at the back of the cover as there's no direct oil being thrown at it in that position and there appears to be a bit of clearance at the back of the cam?

FuryRebuild

posted on 13/9/16 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by john_p_b
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild

i fitted one of THESE when i did a bit of a overhaul on it a couple of years back, i blew through it both ways before fitting so presumed it had no valve inside it?

i'm thinking of putting the fitting at the back of the cover as there's no direct oil being thrown at it in that position and there appears to be a bit of clearance at the back of the cam?

I had something similar. You also need to fettle the top end as well. If you're looking at the engine from flywheel to front, mine was near the front on the right hand side. I do'nt think it matters too much - there's no air baffling in there, so it's just letting the air pressure out.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.