Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone a money expert.!
roadrunner

posted on 27/6/17 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone a money expert.!

I'm looking into buying my mother in-law's house at a vastly reduced price. There is a mortgage and equity release loan to pay off so we can put the house into our name.

My mother in law will then pay us rent to help offset the extra mortgage costs.

What I would like to know is, what are the basic costs of purchasing a home. I don't need any surveys doing or the like. Just a solicitor to finalize the deal.

Any help would be great.
Regards

Brad.

matt5964

posted on 27/6/17 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
If you are purchasing with a mortgage you may still have to have a base level survey to satisfy the lender

A solicitors for a sale only should be around £400 depending on the sale value.

You may also need to get searches done to satisfy the lender.

You could use the online convayency forms that would be around £250 but in most cases they are more hassle that the saving is worth.

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

stevebubs

posted on 27/6/17 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Conveyancing & Stamp Duty are the 2 costs to be borne in your case... plus (if you're taking a mortgage out) any costs associated with that - likely to include a survey

[Edited on 27/6/17 by stevebubs]

Barksavon

posted on 27/6/17 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Stamp duty on a buy to let mortgage is 3% of purchase price, apparently buying a 2nd house and then renting it to a family member is a big no no, you will have to pay tax on your rental income, the rate depends on how much your total income (salary etc) is. Couple of weeks ago I was told by a mortgage advisor that the approximate cost of buying a house (for £80-90,000)nowadays is around £4500..... I would say do your homework and speak to a mortgage advisor.
roadrunner

posted on 27/6/17 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info fellas.
I will look into it a bit more.

obfripper

posted on 27/6/17 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
One thing to consider is any discount from the market value could be liable for inheritance tax as a gift under the 7 year rule.
Any discount would however help in stamp duty terms, as that is calculated on purchase price not market value where a gift element exists, but may be affected also by the outstanding balances of the current mortgage and equity release loan.
The house needs to be her current primary residence (and used as such since first ownership), or it will also attract capital gains tax at her end upon sale, and this is calculated using market value and not the purchase price.
A good solicitor and accountant will help to make things as favourable as possible, but will cost as always.

Dave

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 28/6/17 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
There is also another thing that could come and sting you if it was not bought at market rate

http://www.payingforcare.org/deprivation-of-assets

Nathsx

posted on 28/6/17 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
We were about £1200 on solicitors fees,

£395 for the product fee which is something you cannot avoid when taking out a mortgage

and the price of the home valuation which again is required by the lender, you may not need a full building survey

This was in scotland not england so laws could be different

Bluemoon

posted on 28/6/17 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
You will end up paying a higher rate of stamp if you move...

Dan

roadrunner

posted on 28/6/17 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Would it be simpler to give my mother in law the money to pay off the debts and then just pay a solicitor to transfer the deeds over.
bozla

posted on 28/6/17 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Yes. If you don't you will need to get a buy to let mortgage and the amount that you can borrow will be related to the rental income. You will also need to show that the rent will cover mortgage interest at a rate of 5.5% plus 40%.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.