Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air filters socks vs sausage filter
adam1985

posted on 27/7/18 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Air filters socks vs sausage filter

Hi all whats the best type of filter to use individual socks or sausage filter?
Ive got a itg sausage on at the moment but its looking a little tatty, doing a search on the net it says the socks seem to loose power but i think alot of it may be down to heatsoak under a bonnet. Mines a 4age with jenvey throttle bodies so sticking out the side.
Reason i ask sausage filter is ~£100, socks are ~£40
I dont think it should make any difference but if it does I would buy the better part.

cliftyhanger

posted on 27/7/18 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
A sock has a fraction of the surface area of a sausage filter, and that restricts airflow. That is why they lose power. The price difference is probably the cheapest bhp/£ possible
adam1985

posted on 27/7/18 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Filter it is then, is there much difference between a sausage filter and plenum/cone setup?
Thanks for the reply

ttalps2000

posted on 27/7/18 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
when i had my zetec on the rolling road, it made no difference to the power when the socks were on or off!
steve m

posted on 27/7/18 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
I know people will disagree, but ive never had a filter in 20 years on my locost,

just saying !!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

CosKev3

posted on 29/7/18 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I know people will disagree, but ive never had a filter in 20 years on my locost,

just saying !!

steve

Possibly because it's a xflow the inner machining/tolerances will be so slack it could suck in small stones and still run ok!!!!!

CosKev3

posted on 29/7/18 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ttalps2000
when i had my zetec on the rolling road, it made no difference to the power when the socks were on or off!

I struggle to understand why they would restrict a intake tbh,the only time I could see it is if people push them down too far so there is no space between trumpet and filter?

Another thing to be careful of with socks is back fires threw the inlet,if the socks are too close to the trumpet they catch fire easily

cliftyhanger

posted on 29/7/18 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
As above, it is all about surface area. Socks have a small area to filter the air, a proper filter, cone or sausage, is many times larger. Exactly the reason OEM car filters are not flat but creased.

One issue with sausage/foam filters is the thickness. I have restricted space, so made a huge filter that is like a long K+N. Uses ali as front and back, and the filter is a round K+N filter from some american V8, rated at 450bhp. It squashed from round to oval easily. However, when I get time/CBA I hope to make a plenium and change to a cone filter to get a cold air supply, and hopefully reduce induction noise.

snapper

posted on 29/7/18 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Filters are restrictive
Larger filters are less restrictive than small ones
The bigger the filter you can fit the less restriction the engine feels

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.