Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Been to Dales, Bailey performance
mark chandler

posted on 18/6/19 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Been to Dales, Bailey performance

Not particularly lowcost, my DB7 i6

A few years ago I fitted an emerald ECU as the factory Zytec is impossible to access without special software and has limited control, mixture and RPM limit.

The car is lightly modified, smaller pulley on the supercharger and free flowing exhaust, I originally took the car to emerald, after a few hours on the rolling road it running well with figures of 385bhp/370ftlb torques all good although has always struggled on emmisions and needed to turn a few times before starting, figured that's how it should be.

Last year I started looking at the ignition mapping, it was still on the default ,as they had loaded from a jaguar XJR6, 800cc larger capacity less boost... 16 degrees advance at WOT.. Not great so 1st January tried advancing the ignition which lifted the acceleration by around 10% but went to far and blew the head gasket.. Balls.

It's taken me 4 months to address this, I purchased a brand new fully built head, factory old stock and had ported, valve inserts opened up by ~1mm under the valves and the small exhaust ports opened right up, time for the rollers so booked up with Dale.

Upon arrival the maps were inspected, really jagged, Emerald has boost compensation table that backs off ignition and adds fuel that runs with the main tables but even so ignition and fuel look wrong on the graphs so Dale opted to start again rebuilding all the maps and removing compensation for negative pressure then off to the rollers.

6 hours later on, the car starts immediately 1st turn hot or cold, idle at 1500 rpm that drops to the correct 750rpm with no need to touch the throttle.

Driving up the road throttle responsiveness is greatly improved with a very flat torque from 1500-7000rpm, before it felt slightly flat under 3500rpm at WOT.

Ignition advance has increased, I think it's now around 21 degrees - Dale tried a little more but no gain in power so it's to the sweet spot, ignition and fuelling maps look quite a bit different to the one before, smooth and even when looking at the graphs.

Power by Dales roller is however down 349.5bhp 320lbft torque, not a concern as the only clock that counts is on the finish line, maybe Dales reads low or Emerald reads high... Thinking probably the latter.

So on the road, from idle to WOT the car is very different to drive, touch the throttle and it launches itself off any gear, jam my foot down and it's never been so fast, low and mid range much improved so I can trundle around in a higher gear and it's much smoother at all times, quieter as well!

I'm sprinting at Blyton in a couple of weeks, I expect to be a couple of seconds faster as it feels that much better.

Anyway highly recommended, travel the distance if you want to ensure attention to detail and a good result.

Cheers

Mark

bi22le

posted on 18/6/19 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
As you say, figures are just figures. The proof is in the times.

Do Bailey do OMEX?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

mark chandler

posted on 18/6/19 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Dale will do anything, okay a broad statement as he would not be able to do the Zytec original ECU on my car as it needed bespoke software and the Aston Martin Dongle so lets caveat that statement, anything provided you bring the tuning software

I did see that he has a load of different software on his laptop including OMEX, but if you think it's odd just take your laptop with the installed package and I am sure he will sort you out

You are paying for the attention to detail and you book a day of his time, but better to check with him directly of course, very nice person to deal with.

Note, I do not have an axe to grind with Emerald as the car was good when it left them and has performed faultlessly, it's easy to frig rolling road figures and Dales may read low, it's all in the driving as a car will always perform differently in free air.

Cheers Mark

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 18/6/19 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
No first hand experience but I was under the impression emeralds equipment generally read lower than most.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

rusty nuts

posted on 18/6/19 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Emerald had a new rolling road installed a while ago I believe?
mark chandler

posted on 18/6/19 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Emerald had a decent road when I was there, electric eddy current and I was lead to believe that it was an accurate one - as in not ambitious numbers provided, my car was rated by the factory at 325hp and with the driving dynamics package 385hp.

Provided the rolling road measures improvements on the day from wherever you start to wherever you finish its all relative anyway, my cars never been so fast is the bottom line from tick over to WOT.

[Edited on 18/6/19 by mark chandler]

CosKev3

posted on 19/6/19 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
I'm the same as you,not a bad word to say about Dale!

When he mapped mine last week for instance the inlet manifold was leaking,so needed to come off.
Let's you use all his tools,even helped and cleaned up the lower inlet manifold for me!
Lots of mappers would have been kicking me out of the door with issues like that,to get the next car in.
You get his workshop/tools and a whole day of his time for a really good price!

BaileyPerformance

posted on 12/7/19 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Folks,

Some how missed this post sorry.
Thanks for kind words, we do our best here at Bailey Performance and very much appreciate it when customers take the time to tell others of there experiences in our workshop!

Loved the DB7, nice motor, enjoyed working on it.

We map almost all aftermarket ECUs...

Megasquirt
Megajolt
DTA
OMEX
Emerald
Life Racing
MBE
Power Commander
ME221
Link
And more.

Fixed day rate £300 (10am-6pm) ... i dont mind getting my hands dirty if needs be!

We have just invested a load of cash in a pukka injector cleaning machine, maybe of interest. We also supply injectors.

Cheers, Dale

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 13/7/19 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
Dale,

Where are you based? I tried looking on your website, but couldn't find an address (but maybe I didn't look hard enough).

Paul_Arion

posted on 13/7/19 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Dale,
Where are you based? I tried looking on your website, but couldn't find an address (but maybe I didn't look hard enough).

Here you go - link to full contact details and map.
They’re in Broseley, near Ironbridge in Shropshire
Bailey Performance

BaileyPerformance

posted on 15/7/19 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Arion
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Dale,

Here you go - link to full contact details and map.
They’re in Broseley, near Ironbridge in Shropshire
Bailey Performance

Cheers Paul.

31 High Street,
Broseley
Telford
Shropshire
TF12 5EZ

www.facebook.com/baileyperformance
dale@baileyperformance.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.