Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cable or Hydraulic Clutch??
woodsy144

posted on 29/7/19 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
Cable or Hydraulic Clutch??

As per subject, what do people do?

Maintain cable clutch? or convert to hydraulic?

I am starting to spec pedal box so some feedback about what people do, pro's con's etc would be great.

cliftyhanger

posted on 29/7/19 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
I am currently changing from cable to hydraulic.
Because the cable keeps breaking, despite my best efforts etc and it appears to be aligned. BUT I am using a conventional pedal, is adapted to accept a clevis and fork. If I could have used (eh) a Sierra pedal it would probably be ok.
I am using a genuine ford Mondeo csc, on the basis I want the best/least hassle long term..
I think my clutch setup is a bit odd,? Believed to be a funnel flywheel and pinto clutch. Certainly I use a Sierra clutch bearing at present. But be aware careful measurement is essential with the csc. There is little room for error

nick205

posted on 29/7/19 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
For my Sierra based MK Indy I used a cable clutch on the Type 9 gearbox (had been cable on the donor car). It worked and the cable never broke, but I always wondered if a hydraulic clutch might have been better. If building again I'm pretty sure I'd go for a hydraulic clutch and spec a clutch pedal to suit.

To expand a little...I used a Pinto engine so the exhaust came off the drivers (RHD) side of the engine. The clutch cable looped fairly close to the exhaust manifold so there was potential for the exhaust heat to dry out any lubrication in the cable and there make it heavier/stiffer to operate. This didn't seem to happen in the 3 years I had the car on the road before selling it on. Hydraulic pipe could have been routed further away from the exhaust manifold reducing the chance of any ill effect from the heat.

[Edited on 29/7/19 by nick205]

macc man

posted on 29/7/19 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
When I built my locost I found a simple solution using an adjustable pull rod connected to a swivel crank. I had an OBP adjustable pedal box with floor mounted pedals. It gave a good leverage with little to go wrong.
Oddified

posted on 29/7/19 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hydraulic, it's just better, smoother, no issues with cable bends or breaking etc (even more so if the clutch is uprated/heavier than standard).

When i first built my Kitten i had a cable clutch onto the type 9 box, soon changed that to hydraulic many years ago.

Ian

woodsy144

posted on 29/7/19 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
I am mainly asking with respect to bike engined cars,
Specifically R1 engined. I have seen hydraulic kits for R1 clutches but I am thinking there would be a fair bit of work involved in getting matching master cylinder.

Or is it not worth it, run with the cable clutch.

This will determine what sort of pedal box I go for.
I am currently looking at the RPB range of boxes

https://racingpedalboxes.com/pedal-boxes/pedalbox-kit-car-cable-clutch/#configuration
https://racingpedalboxes.com/pedal-boxes/pedalbox-eco-class/#configuration

or the Tilton 600 range, noting if I am going to run cable clutch I will have to make mods

jeffw

posted on 30/7/19 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
The Tilton 600 range is very nice bits of kit.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.