Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mitre saw - repair or replace
smart51

posted on 9/12/19 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
mitre saw - repair or replace

I have an Evolution Rage 3-S compound mitre saw. It's been OK. I replaced the bushes earlier in the year having had the saw for 18 months. It blew up this week. Looking at the armature, a couple of the copper pads that the brushes brush against have come off. Probably the brushes broke and ripped up the armature.

The replacement part is £60, or a new saw is £120. Do I take the risk that a new armature solves the problem? The blade is great, so I could probably eBay the new blade that comes with the saw for £20. What would you do?

theconrodkid

posted on 9/12/19 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
fpr the price difference i would get a new one, there used to be places that would rewind / repair armatures, may be worth having a look round

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

gremlin1234

posted on 9/12/19 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
you have repaired it once, get a new one
I notice cpc (farnell) sell them, and they show it with a 3 year limited warranty, so maybe possible to 'claim' from that

I wonder what you can use the rest of the broken one to build...

trextr7monkey

posted on 12/12/19 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hi
From my years of running work shops I would say buy a new one with warranty and back up. Inevitably the trigger or something else will be worn and only available at huge expense and down time when you need the tool. We have replaced bearings in routers and motors in drills and angle grinders. Return springs in pillar drills etc usually means the machine has had a lot of use.
More valuable equipment where the price of a new motor or rewind is a relatively small percentage of the value makes repairs worthwhile but mig welders seem to be uneconomic unless it’s smaller components
Hth
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.