Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA with new registration
John Bonnett

posted on 21/1/20 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
IVA with new registration

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has built a new car to qualify for a current registration. I believe that at least 75% of the components used in the build have to be new for it to qualify as new. Is the 75% based on cost or the number of parts used? I'm using a Ford Sigma engine which is available new from Ford at a cost of £4500 but if everything else apart from the rear axle were new would the engine need to be new as well?

I'd be interested in your comments.

Thank you

John

loggyboy

posted on 21/1/20 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
No idea where the 75% has come from.
Its all new major parts accept 1 that can be reconditioned to an 'as new' standard.

Major parts are as follows.
*Chassis
* Engine
* Transmission
* Suspension (front and back)
* Axles (both)
* Steering assembly

Anything else can be a sourced from where ever you like but when I was considering the same route I kept receipts for everything new I had so i could present the DVLA with a huge folder of receipts to prove it was as new as it could be.

Its also nothing to do with IVA. When its IVA'd they only care about proof of the engine age.

Form needed is this:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/278783/V627X1_270913.pdf

[Edited on 21-1-20 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

John Bonnett

posted on 21/1/20 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
No idea where the 75% has come from.
Its all new major parts accept 1 that can be reconditioned to an 'as new' standard.

Major parts are as follows.
*Chassis
* Engine
* Transmission
* Suspension (front and back)
* Axles (both)
* Steering assembly

Anything else can be a sourced from where ever you like but when I was considering the same route I kept receipts for everything new I had so i could present the DVLA with a huge folder of receipts to prove it was as new as it could be.

Its also nothing to do with IVA. When its IVA'd they only care about proof of the engine age.

Form needed is this:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/278783/V627X1_270913.pdf

[Edited on 21-1-20 by loggyboy]

Many thanks for your reply which I'm sure is definitive. Thank you too for the form below which is the same one that would be used for a radically altered vehicle.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet but it's good to look at the options.

loggyboy

posted on 21/1/20 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
General route is a new ford engine (zetecs are circa £700). With a recon gearbox and diff. All other parts are fairly easy to be new as part of the kit provider.
If you want a sigma and adamant you want new reg you could register with another cheaper new engine then swap post registration.

Mistral Motorsport

John Bonnett

posted on 22/1/20 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
General route is a new ford engine (zetecs are circa £700). With a recon gearbox and diff. All other parts are fairly easy to be new as part of the kit provider.
If you want a sigma and adamant you want new reg you could register with another cheaper new engine then swap post registration.

That's a huge difference in price between the two engines and could be a viable way forward.

coyoteboy

posted on 22/1/20 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Out of interest, what's the definition of "engine"? Long block? Short block? All Ancils?

John Bonnett

posted on 22/1/20 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Out of interest, what's the definition of "engine"? Long block? Short block? All Ancils?

If they accept reconditioned parts like the diff and gearbox what about a reconditioned engine? It seems all a bit of a grey area.

loggyboy

posted on 22/1/20 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
quote:

If they accept reconditioned parts like the diff and gearbox what about a reconditioned engine? It seems all a bit of a grey area.

Its only 1 that can be reconditioned so not that really grey area. a recon engine is fine, providing the others major parts are new. A Gearbox and diff would fall under the 1 transmission category, so could both be recond.
As for the long short part of it, remember you are dealing with the hit and miss DVLA office, so no experts so its very reasonable to assume you could get way with some 'greyness' on one day, but not on another!

Also, I hadnt realised that the Sigma you mentioned could be the same as a Zetec (sigma is a general name for the xetec engines.) So if it is a Sigma/Zetec you want, the 4500 ford price is no doubt a retail price.

Check out these https://www.kitspares.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=273

They used to be even cheaper, but with some careful shopping you might find one cheaper. (ebay, also raceline, they show them at £795, but price list is dated 2018)

Mistral Motorsport

John Bonnett

posted on 22/1/20 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
quote:

Its only 1 that can be reconditioned so not that really grey area. a recon engine is fine, providing the others major parts are new. A Gearbox and diff would fall under the 1 transmission category, so could both be recond.
As for the long short part of it, remember you are dealing with the hit and miss DVLA office, so no experts so its very reasonable to assume you could get way with some 'greyness' on one day, but not on another!

Also, I hadnt realised that the Sigma you mentioned could be the same as a Zetec (sigma is a general name for the xetec engines.) So if it is a Sigma/Zetec you want, the 4500 ford price is no doubt a retail price.

Check out these https://www.kitspares.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=273

They used to be even cheaper, but with some careful shopping you might find one cheaper. (ebay, also raceline, they show them at £795, but price list is dated 2018)

The whole Zetec Duratec naming is extremely confusing but explained quite well in the Burton's catalogue. The Sigma engine is a joint development between Ford and Yamaha and is also known as the Zetec SE. This is a lightweight all alloy engine and totally different from a Zetec.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.