Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis Paint Choice ??? HELP
sammini7

posted on 13/5/20 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis Paint Choice ??? HELP

Hu Guys,

What chassis paint is everyone using? I sprayed my chassis and the paint is awful dispute following the manufacturers instructions and undertaking lots of preparation works

Kind Regards

[url=https://imgur.com/9izDvz5]

perksy

posted on 13/5/20 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair its worth doing a search as this has been covered many times

Some vote for machinery paint, Some POR 15, Some for two pack brush paint, Some just for good old Gloss paint

jps

posted on 13/5/20 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
To be fair its worth doing a search as this has been covered many times

Some vote for machinery paint, Some POR 15, Some for two pack brush paint, Some just for good old Gloss paint

This sums it up well. No clear answer, each solution has its proponents and some detractors.

What did you use that did not go well?

J666AYP

posted on 13/5/20 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'm having the same issue atm. I used some E-tch gunmetal grey stuff that turned out like light matt silver and looked awful. I then went for the trusty black hammerite smooth black (I didn't know that they had changed the formula so it's now rubbish).

Been looking at por15 but from what I'm told it's not UV stable and I hate dull paint with a passion. Now looking at various tractor and plant paints, will let you know if I find something that works.

J

sammini7

posted on 13/5/20 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I have used Simoniz tough black, super tough coating and chip resistant apparently. I have found it not to be very tough and definitely not chip resistant

I am currently looking at marine paint as an option, more research required though

[url=https://imgur.com/9izDvz5]

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 13/5/20 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
BuzzWeld is a company that has made a great name for itself (in terms of products and knowledge/assistance) in the Land Rover world. Craig, the guy that runs it, is incredibly helpful with advice on products, prep, application etc..

I've used both Buzzweld and POR15 products in the past with good results, but have to agree that Hammerite "ain't what it used to be"....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

steve m

posted on 14/5/20 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
Ive said it many many times, and have prove the following works, on an Austin 7 I helped rebuild in about 1974

A good rust preventative primer, and a good household black gloss, dulux etc

The Austin 7 is still on the road, and used and still looks as good now as it did in 1974

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

JonBowden

posted on 14/5/20 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I have used quite a lot of POR15.
It is nice to use and brushes well.
It does go mat if exposed to sunlight for a long time but I don't think that this will be a big issue for a chassis.
There is a POR15 top coat available if you are really worried about UV

Jon

nick205

posted on 14/5/20 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I brush painted my MK Indy chassis with red oxide primer (Johnstones IIRC) and made sure to get in all the nooks and crannies. It sticks like poo to a blanket and satisfied me in terms of primary protection. I then gave it a top coat of Halfords chassis black paint. The Halfords stuff wasn't expensive and TBH was quite runny. Again I made an effort to get it in all the nooks and crannies. Overall the chassis looked fine when painted and the majority of it was covered with bodywork when the car was finished.

On the MK Indy chassis I had the only open tube ends were the outer chassis rails that ended in front of the rear wheels. I got some square plastic plugs and PU sealed them in place to plug these tube openings.

One final step I took was to rivet some ally strip along to top edge of a chassis running across the floor in front of the seats (see photo) to prevent it getting shoe scrapes.

[Edited on 14/5/20 by nick205]

MadMaxx

posted on 15/5/20 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
The primer for POR 15 gives a “rusty” surface. Is it necessary to clean up before to apply the POR 15, or I have to leave it as it is?

My re-building diary:

http://www.llcc.it/YetAnotherForum.NET/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13448

jps

posted on 15/5/20 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MadMaxx
The primer for POR 15 gives a “rusty” surface. Is it necessary to clean up before to apply the POR 15, or I have to leave it as it is?

The POR primer I used (Metal Ready - see infosheet here http://qr.por15.com/QR-assets/downloads/POR15/MetalReadyInfo.pdf) didn't leave a rusty surface, it left a sort of white powdery reside. From memory I think I left it there, it certainly didn't seem to harm adhesion. I did have bits that didn't stick, despite very careful prep - but not linked to where there was the residue.

nick205

posted on 15/5/20 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I should add that I ran over my MK Indy chassis prior to painting with a wire brush cup in an angle grinder and a normal wire brush to remove any taces of rust. I also protected the threads of the harness mounts. As above the red oxide primer stuck very well.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.