Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rivnut tool
Shooter63

posted on 15/8/20 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Rivnut tool

I'm looking to buy the above they seem to vary in price from " that looks a bit crap " to " kin hell that's a bit spendy " I won't need it a lot but would prefer it not to fall to bits after a couple of uses

Shooter

Slimy38

posted on 15/8/20 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
You can make one fairly easily, the mechanics tend to rely on using a thread to apply a pulling force rather than a turning force. The memfast rivnut tool is a good example of this. I did it with mine, although they were only m3 rivnuts so didn't need much force to set.

Have a look on youtube for diy rivnut tool to see a few examples.

snapper

posted on 15/8/20 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
The cheap ones will only do aluminium unless you you are a gym bunnie
Men fast is a good piece of kit then there are the air powered ones

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

FamilyGuy

posted on 15/8/20 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have one of the US Pro tools which does m3 to m6 rivnuts. It has been an excellent bit of kit but does require some force to properly secure m6 rivnuts. It's a well made bit of kit.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-PRO-Single-Hand-Nut-Riveter-M3-M4-M5-M6-1000N-Rivet-Gun/142491536166?ul_ref=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255 -0/1?ff3=2&pub=5575376664&toolid=10044&campid=5338268676&customid=EAIaIQobChMI0o3U4Pyd6wIVBrDtCh08fgK-EAQYAyABEgK2CPD_BwE&lgeo=1&a mp;item=142491536166&srcrot=710-53481-19255-0&rvr_id=2557235871428&rvr_ts=f3a9298b1730a9e3924356d0fff56f45&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1& ul_noapp=true&pageci=b410bffe-ff5d-4a58-bc77-f45c2fa12dd5

I had one of the cheaper tools prior to this one which was cheaply made and rubbish.

loggyboy

posted on 16/8/20 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
I've been using the Laser 0979 for years with no major issues. Only 2 down sides - m3 mandrel is weak and breaks very easily, its not a fault as its naturally a small thread and the lever system is the same for all sizes, so its down to practice to pull the rivnut the right amount, but spare mandrels are fairly cheap, so its worth having spares of the m3 or your more common used ones just in case. The 2nd is the depth of the head makes it hard to use in confined spaces (ie adding adding a rivnut to the inside edge of a narrow part of the trans tunnel.)

Mistral Motorsport

jacko

posted on 16/8/20 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Make one
All you need is a piece of tube the size of a bolt that fits the rivenut and a set of mole grips to hold the tube with
Put the bolt though the tube screw the rivnut on the bolt
The put the rivnut in a tight hole and tighten the bolt while holding the mole grips If you have a socket gun all the better
Jacko

Ps this is what we use at work a lot except we welded a Handel on the tube instead of mole grips

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 16/8/20 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I used a cheap-and-cheerful tool for most of my rivnuts, but made a special one for the M8 ones.

Rivnut setting tool

Deckman001

posted on 16/8/20 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've used a 'Lobster' one that we used to use at work, I kept it since last needed about twelve years ago and it still worked great during this last rebuild.
Where about are you? anyone near by could lend you one if needed maybe.

Jason

Shooter63

posted on 17/8/20 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the ideas, I think I'll knock some up on my lathe.

Shooter

steve m

posted on 17/8/20 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Ive only done a couple of Rivnuts, but I just used a piece of flat bar, with a hole drilled in one end smaller than the rivnut head
and ran a bolt down it, and tightened it up TIGHT

seemed to do the trick, and if the hole for the rivnut is tight, it did not spin

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

posted on 18/8/20 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Mem-Fast.

I've used the M8 stainless rivnuts and it puts them in no problem.

I even had a customer request M4 screws to attach a can end as he didn't like the idea of drilling out rivets to re-pack.
!2 off 4mm rivnuts and the job was done and dusted.

One of the features of the tool is that the mandrel is just a high tensile allen bolt so easy to keep spares at hand.

Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.