Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Credit Card Question
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 15/9/20 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Credit Card Question

Had a COVID related holiday refund to a credit card which is now in credit by quite a lot.

I know I can request a refund through the bank but I was wondering what would happen if I took cash out of the wall with a credit card which was in the black?

My guess would be they would charge a cash advance fee but not interest on the withdrawal, anyone know??

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 16/9/20 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
It depends on the credit there may be a one off fee or some charge interest as soon as you withdraw the money best to contact the credit card
loggyboy

posted on 16/9/20 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
i suspect they would still be classed as cash advance.

UK Finance, said: “Customers should not withdraw any cash from their credit card before checking the terms and conditions of their credit card first, as an additional fee might apply. If they wish to receive a credit balance from the account, their card provider will let them know how to do this.”

https://www.yourmoney.com/credit-cards-loans/cancelled-holiday-or-event-the-credit-card-refund-mistake-you-must-avoid/

[Edited on 16-9-20 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 16/9/20 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
i suspect they would still be classed as cash advance.

UK Finance, said: “Customers should not withdraw any cash from their credit card before checking the terms and conditions of their credit card first, as an additional fee might apply. If they wish to receive a credit balance from the account, their card provider will let them know how to do this.”

https://www.yourmoney.com/credit-cards-loans/cancelled-holiday-or-event-the-credit-card-refund-mistake-you-must-avoid/

[Edited on 16-9-20 by loggyboy]

Sound advice and worth going this way.

Drawing cash out on a credit card invariably attracts fees. I'd not draw the cash with reading the card Ts & Cs in detail and speaking to the card issuer.

David Jenkins

posted on 16/9/20 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Would paying for groceries and petrol with that card for a few weeks burn up that amount? Or are we talking about a lot more?

[Edited on 16/9/20 by David Jenkins]

steve m

posted on 16/9/20 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the same David,

Also, my thinking is that your in credit, so the money is yours to do what you like with it ?
If that isint right you should be charging the credit card company interest for holding on to YOUR MONEY

The only other way i can see, is draw out £50, and see if you have been charged anything, on the online bill, if not draw the lot out
Otherwise just use it as your debit card for a few weeks/months, that way your normal accounts wont be drawing down, so effectually its cash
but in your bank account and not in your pocket,

Another point, is your pretty lucky to get your money back, as my Sister in law, is owed around £500, im not sure what airline, but it was a Gatwick Greek flight X 2, the best offer they got was to transfer the flights to June next year, at no cost, but no refund was available, and if they still cant fly in June, they will either lose the money, or maybe transfer it again to later in the year

From what ive been told, if it was a package holiday, and cancelled, because of Covid, they could of got back 95% of the costs, but because it was flights only, theres no refund policy

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Gord

posted on 19/9/20 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Just link it to PayPal and send it to a family member as a payment, then transfer it to your bank.
britishtrident

posted on 19/9/20 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
On your credit card statement you will find instruction on the number to phone to return it to the original account really simple to do.
You can't keep money on the card beause it breaks the T & C and could result in the account being frozen ---

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.