Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Old machinery, oil requirements
pigeondave

posted on 9/12/20 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Old machinery, oil requirements

Hi all,

I got a mate that has a bakery and they have some old mixers in it. He asked me the other day if he knew what the numbers 357 meant which are stamped on the oil fill cap, and what type of oil he should be using.

Does anyone have any ideas what 357 could refer to in an oil ?
It's a gear box and bevel gear filler port, but my guess is that the machine is from the 40's maybe earlier.

What sort of oil would people use in a gear box? Obviously food grade, I see there's a 320 gear oil which has its name based on the viscosity. Could the 357 be related to that?

Any help appreciated.
I can get more details if needed.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 9/12/20 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
If you find out the name of the machinery maker and if they're still around they may be able to advise.

Failing that you could try a company that supplies oil for that type of machine advice.

steve m

posted on 9/12/20 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ive only ever come across lio stamped on engine filler, could that be the same ?

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/12/20 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
If its from the 40s I'd ignore any oil grades they recommend, god knows what horrors would have been in it, made from lead or puppies no doubt. I'd look up a similar modern machine and use the same as they use. I'd be worried the oil seals, assuming they even fitted them were perished. Anything leaking out into food would be a big no no. I'd also get the electrics checked out or replaced before it kills someone. Sounds terrifying tbh I'd only touch it with a big stick.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RedAvon

posted on 9/12/20 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Modern motor oils have a detergent in which can damage some components such as phosphor bronze bearings, so another factor to consider in addition to oil type.

Might not be important here if it's a gear oil, but my Grey Fergie (1950) uses the same oil in the engine and gearbox which doubles as hydraulic oil with a pump in the transmission.

You can buy classic oils without detergent.

Just something else to consider.

Maybe give these guys a call?

https://www.brit-lube.co.uk/products/food-grade-products

Ian

[Edited on 9/12/20 by RedAvon]

Bricoleur

David Jenkins

posted on 9/12/20 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Ive only ever come across lio stamped on engine filler, could that be the same ?

I've heard it was "710"

Theshed

posted on 9/12/20 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Olive? Worst case scenario Forcatia
steve m

posted on 9/12/20 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
"I've heard it was "710"

Your right Dave, i knew i had got it wrong, but couldnt figure out why ...

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

theconrodkid

posted on 10/12/20 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
might be worth posting on here https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/
they seem to have someone who will know about just about everything

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

nick205

posted on 10/12/20 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RedAvon
Modern motor oils have a detergent in which can damage some components such as phosphor bronze bearings, so another factor to consider in addition to oil type.

Might not be important here if it's a gear oil, but my Grey Fergie (1950) uses the same oil in the engine and gearbox which doubles as hydraulic oil with a pump in the transmission.

You can buy classic oils without detergent.

Just something else to consider.

Maybe give these guys a call?

https://www.brit-lube.co.uk/products/food-grade-products

Ian

[Edited on 9/12/20 by RedAvon]

Peugeot (and others probably) certainly used to have engines and transmissions which shared the same oil. I'd guess it was quite a volume of oil to change at service time. I guess the benefit is regular transmissions oil changes, but then I've never bothered changing tin top transmisson oil in vehicles I've owned. I read DSG transmissions are reliant on oil services to keep them functioning correctly, but have never had one so it's not been a consideration for me.

pigeondave

posted on 10/12/20 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of an update,
Its a:
Bristol Steam Oven Wks Ltd
Jones Ovens and Machinery
20quart bowl

I'll do some more googling I think

Thanks for all the comments so far

paulf

posted on 11/12/20 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
I work in the food industry and going on experience with similiar machinery a 220 grade food lube would be ok, have a look for Rocol foodlube 220 gear oil or similiar.It is difficult to know what the orginal spec would have been but a modern oil would exceed the original spec and suspect it will just be a basic spur type gearbox .
Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.