Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Classic Beetle heating
Simon

posted on 18/1/21 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Classic Beetle heating

Ok, my 1303 has very rotten heat exchangers and as they are very expensive to replace so I have bought a couple of J tubes.

Now, obviously, I lose the heating and demisting so am thinking about either a couple of 12v electric heaters from Amazon/Ebay (car has alternator rather than dynamo) and recommendations for such, or the 2kw diesel type heaters or, making a water/exhaust heat exchanger plumbed into front for windscreen demist and heating

I quite fancy making the j tubes into exhaust to water heat exchangers so will need a water pump (electric Davies Craig), a fan, heater matrix (maybe two, one for waste heat?), pipework, water divert (from classic mini?).

Thoughts

Cheers

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/1/21 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
Having completely rebuilt two beetles. I recommend you bite the bullet and replace the sills/heater channels with good quality replacements. I know they are kind of expensive at about £200 a pair but with rusty ones the car is literally a deathtrap, it will fold in a crash.

As for the standard alternator is weedy and won't support an electric heater worth fitting. Although many EV cars like first gen Leafs have them.

But tbh it's just skirting round a much more serious issue. Good heat exchangers and good non leaky heater channels are actually quite good even in winter.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.