Board logo

Altinator and battery questions
J666AYP - 6/4/18 at 10:56 PM

Hi gents,

Just trying to work out some electrical problems...

1. What is the smallest car altinator available as a off the shelf item? I'm thinking that a smart car or or a lupo would be a good place to start looking?

2. Will a bike battery be sufficient to run a car engined locost? Mine will have the bare minimum of electric devices possible.

3. What is the minimum guage power cable that can be used for the battery to altinator/starter motor?

Any input appreciated.

Jay

[Edited on 6/4/18 by J666AYP]

Ian2812 - 7/4/18 at 12:04 AM

Regarding the battery, a racing battery would be best suited...

Quote: "Racing batteries are designed to give higher outputs than standard batteries, and withstand the shock and vibration that can be found in the harsh environment of motorsport. JJC Race and Rally have the best brands available from stock in Varley and Odyssey, who provide a wide range of batteries to choose from including racing batteries suitable for vehicles from saloon cars to single seater cars, offering lightweight and optimum performance in their Red Top and Extreme ranges."

A couple of good offers on there at the minute as well.

Cable depends on the current.
Starting current really - this will be the highest, (not running gear, i.e. lights...)
Not sure where you'd find this info out, engine data may be?

Rough guide for cable:
16mmsq = 110A max. Price p/m = £5
25mmsq = 170A max. Price p/m = £7
50mmsq = 350A max. Price p/m = £12
70mmsq = 480A max. Price p/m = £15

40inches - 7/4/18 at 09:30 AM

I think this is the smallest alternator available https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/compact-lightweight-40-amp-alternator
May be cheaper on ebay?
I used the 70amp version, around 125mm diameter. Some good info here: https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/5/viewthread.php?tid=198850
Description
Description

[Edited on 7-4-18 by 40inches]

J666AYP - 7/4/18 at 04:21 PM

Thanks gents, Much appreciated.

My shopping list has just grown more

Jay

[Edited on 7/4/18 by J666AYP]

J666AYP - 7/4/18 at 04:43 PM

That 10kg monster is what came with the engine!

starterman - 7/4/18 at 06:16 PM

If you want a 40 amp denso alternator give me a shout and as per my continuing offer you can have one at cost price. Off the top of my head that's £61 including VAT and delivery.

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 7/4/18 by starterman]

40inches - 7/4/18 at 07:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by starterman
If you want a 40 amp denso alternator give me a shout and as per my continuing offer you can have one at cost price. Off the top of my head that's £61 including VAT and delivery.

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 7/4/18 by starterman]

There's an offer you can't refuse

nick205 - 9/4/18 at 08:47 AM

I used a Denso alternator on my 2.0 Pinto MK Indy (the standard Sierra alternator fouled the Indy chassis). Don't recall the specific alternator part number, but it never had any difficulty with the engine or similarly minimal electrics in the car. I made my own mounting bracket from 50x50mm angle iron to fit it to the existing Pinto block alternator mounts and re-used the standard Pinto arched belt tensioner.

J666AYP - 10/4/18 at 09:04 PM

Starterman, thanks for the offer but im going to have to decline... wedding dresses have cleared me out for this month

Jay

J666AYP - 10/4/18 at 09:05 PM

Thanks for the input lads

Jay

starterman - 11/4/18 at 06:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by J666AYP
Starterman, thanks for the offer but im going to have to decline... wedding dresses have cleared me out for this month

Jay

Don't panic, the offer goes on for as long as I do !!!!

J666AYP - 11/4/18 at 02:00 PM

Fantastic, will give you a shout on payday then mate.

Jay