Board logo

Exhaust heat wrap, whats the difference
martinnitram - 15/11/17 at 11:00 PM

I'm going to wrap my exhaust manifold to keep the heat down a bit as my water pipes run close to the manifold.

I see some on t'bay for about a tenner and there's some in Demon Tweeks for 40 - 50 quid, I know you get what you pay for so whats the difference, is the £10 stuff likely to burst into flames ?

Never used this stuff before so want a bit of input from those on here that have.

Thanks

coyoteboy - 15/11/17 at 11:25 PM

I used some £10 stuff on my tin top a while ago, was fine but quite loose-weave. It wrapped loosely and was very itchy. I think the more pricey stuff is tighter weave, smaller threads, wraps a bit neater. The neater weave also might hold a little less moisture when it gets rain/puddled on.

bikecarbfred - 16/11/17 at 06:30 AM

You've got to put it on right and have it wet abit so it stretches so when it dries it tightens up further.
For me good quality one lasted about 2-3 years before it started breaking up i.e bit of woven material breaking off it.

On my next build I am going to brush up the header and have it ceramic coated but I'm only willing to spend £200 max on it. I have a 4-2-1 exhaust header.

Also you said you never used the stuff before so don't be scared when you see loads of smoke coming out of the engine bay when you go for your first run. obviously stop the car and double check. It goes away after that.

neilp1 - 16/11/17 at 08:07 AM

I used some of this

https://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/dei-cycle/motorcycle-exhaust-pipe-wrap-kits/titanium-exhaust-wrap-lr-technology

Can't remember where I bought it though. Was a pain to fit and my back was knacking!!.

Been on 3+ years

Andi - 16/11/17 at 08:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by neilp1
I used some of this

https://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/dei-cycle/motorcycle-exhaust-pipe-wrap-kits/titanium-exhaust-wrap-lr-technology

Can't remember where I bought it though. Was a pain to fit and my back was knacking!!.

Been on 3+ years

I used that on my old car. The gold colour looks really well and it was definitely thicker and better quality than the cheap stuff I got from a Chinese website recently

ttalps2000 - 16/11/17 at 09:37 AM

I have the same issue, but I'm going to wrap the water pipe instead of the manifold. Might be a better option?

motivforz - 16/11/17 at 12:54 PM

magmawrap was the one I used on my car, and I used around 20m for a 4-1 manifold for a crossflow engine. Has been on for 2 years and looked pretty good in my opinion.

[Edited on 16/11/17 by motivforz]

jossey - 16/11/17 at 07:59 PM

I tried it on my manifold to reduce under bonnet temps. Oh my gosh it ichys so much as mentioned above. Wear gloves and overalls.

Also it made very little difference so I took it off.

Angel Acevedo - 16/11/17 at 08:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ttalps2000
I have the same issue, but I'm going to wrap the water pipe instead of the manifold. Might be a better option?

For hoses look for Parker Hannifin Stratoflex Fire Sleeve.
Good enough for hoses in planes...

And regarding headers, I was thinking if one could make a homemade coating using liquid glass and some kind of filler.

martinnitram - 16/11/17 at 09:05 PM

Thanks for replies.

Ill give the cheap stuff a go then, good shout bikecarbfred regarding the smoke on the first run, I can just see myself pulling over in a panic thinking my cheap wrap has gone up, ! lol

So the general idea is to glove up, wet it and stretch it.

SPYDER - 17/11/17 at 01:36 PM

I used some of the "titanium" coloured wrap off ebay for my stainless manifold despite reading various scare stories.

"Welds will crack."
"Engine temps will go up."
"You'll go blind."

Maybe that last one was to do with something else but 3 years on the wrap is still there and I'm not blind.
I also wrapped the pipe before the silencer but found that it was prone to slipping around the bend.
To combat that I put a lockwire "cage" around it to hold it in place. Works a treat.
I did struggle to wrap the collector so I gave up on that and covered that with a sleeve made from the alu heat mat
type stuff, cut to shape then stitched with brass paper rivets.

My previous mild steel manifold had developed a crack under heat wrap but I put that down to being a 30 year old piece of shit.
The manifold I mean. Not me. I'm a lot older. I do, however, admit to having a crack but I usually keep it under wraps.

David Jenkins - 17/11/17 at 02:14 PM

When my car's exhaust was wrapped I used to get one loud backfire every time I turned the engine off after a run - my wife always knew when I was home - but I never worked out why it happened. I guess there must have been some fuel vapour getting into the hot manifold after stopping, but I have no evidence either way. It stopped doing it after I took the wrap off...

I'm thinking of re-wrapping (more for safety reasons than anything else - burnt hands and legs) but it may be OK now as the car has totally different carbs.

My main worry is that the last time I did it, I cut my hands to ribbons on the stupid metal fixing straps that are traditionally supplied - they're like razors. Next time I'll get good-quality jubilee clips.

Oh - and I also got scared to death on my first drive after wrapping, with smoke pouring out from under the bonnet!

martinnitram - 4/1/18 at 09:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
I used some of the "titanium" coloured wrap off ebay for my stainless manifold despite reading various scare stories.

"Welds will crack."
"Engine temps will go up."
"You'll go blind."

Maybe that last one was to do with something else but 3 years on the wrap is still there and I'm not blind.
I also wrapped the pipe before the silencer but found that it was prone to slipping around the bend.
To combat that I put a lockwire "cage" around it to hold it in place. Works a treat.
I did struggle to wrap the collector so I gave up on that and covered that with a sleeve made from the alu heat mat
type stuff, cut to shape then stitched with brass paper rivets.

My previous mild steel manifold had developed a crack under heat wrap but I put that down to being a 30 year old piece of shit.
The manifold I mean. Not me. I'm a lot older. I do, however, admit to having a crack but I usually keep it under wraps.

Nice neat job, like the wire cage idea, would have done that on mine had I seen yours first.

coyoteboy - 4/1/18 at 09:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER

That's some beautiful wrapping there! Compliments to the chef.

martinnitram - 4/1/18 at 09:56 PM

Wrapped my manifold in the cheap ebay wrap, and I can conclude that it didn't burst into flames and after a few good runs has succeeded in keeping the heat down under the bonnet.

I took the advice and wet it before applying so it can stretch, wore gloves while fitting it but still ended up with hands as itchy as bears arse, and it does smoke a bit on the first run.

But good result for a tenner and hour of faffing about.

coyoteboy - 6/1/18 at 12:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by martinnitram
Wrapped my manifold in the cheap ebay wrap, and I can conclude that it didn't burst into flames and after a few good runs has succeeded in keeping the heat down under the bonnet.

I took the advice and wet it before applying so it can stretch, wore gloves while fitting it but still ended up with hands as itchy as bears arse, and it does smoke a bit on the first run.

But good result for a tenner and hour of faffing about.

I had worried passers by telling me I was on fire when i first fitted mine!

Ian2812 - 6/1/18 at 02:32 AM

Exhaust 1
Exhaust 1

Exhaust 5
Exhaust 5

Description
Description

Description
Description

https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/14/viewthread.php?tid=210576

I used Thermo Tec Cool It Exhaust Wrap on mine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wrap-Thermo-Tec-Cool-It-Exhaust-wrap-CHEAP-DELIVERY-WORLDWIDE-50mm-x-30-m-/272240016027?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10 />
Price seems to vary massively between sellers, I paid around £15 per 10m x 50mm. I have seen it for as much as £70 for same amount.

To echo other comments for the benefit of other people installing this, wear overalls, heavy duty rubber gloves and a dust mask as it's like the fibreglass in your loft!

Depending on how hot your exhaust gets, the colour of the tapes will fade to a white. Thermo Tec also do a heat spray paint to put on the wraps to keep the colour.

Thermo-Tec Hi-Heat Coating Black 11oz Aerosol For Exhaust Insulating Wrap

Hope this is of some help.

Ian.

snapper - 6/1/18 at 08:22 AM

I used multiple solutions to reduce heat under the bonnet and protect vulnerable items.
I double wrapped the manifold with the cheap stuff (because I’m tight) used thick aluminium heat shielding which I covered with silvered heat mat
Used silvered bubble wrap house insulation to cover bulkhead and tunnel and more heat mat inside the footwell under the carpet where the exhaust exits close to the pedal box.
Some venting solutions were also used to complete the heat managing program.