Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New track day car
yozza

posted on 27/3/12 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
New track day car

After trying for 18 months to get my locost finished and fighting a losing battle in a garage with no power or light I couldn't wait any longer to have a go at a track day. I looked into the cost of hiring a track car for say 5 or 6 track days over the summer and the cost would have been over £3000 plus indemnities. So, in a brave move I have bought a track prepared Pug 205 1.9Gti plus a load of spares, 2 extra sets of wheels/tyres and a towing dolly. Car, spares, wheels and dolly £1800, insurance £155 and tax £118. So for a little over £2000 I am able to go to a trackday. Providing I dont stuff it, lose it or bottle it I am off to Silverstone this Friday. The car is road legal but hopefully plod wont mind me towing it with the dolly (recovery only!) then I might just get the boost I need to finish the locost. Any tips on track day etiquette very welcome. Joe
Coopz

posted on 27/3/12 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
I got a soft spot for 205 GTI'S wish I never got rid of mine any pics
bi22le

posted on 27/3/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
You lie, we need pics!!!

I love retro cars of all types and pug 205 are weapons.

Advice for track days:
Give your self lots of time to prep for the day, travelling and getting ready before each session.
Take an extra Jerry can, you will need it.
Take food and water. You wont want to eat but you will need to.

Depending on how novice you are or how well you know the track, get an instructor to go out with you, oftern they are free.

Good luck, chek out my footnote. I like track days!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

yozza

posted on 27/3/12 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I will get some pictures uploaded tomorrow, certainly not a show car but looks the part being lowered, roll cage and stripped out. Took it for blast locally, nearly deafened myself without a helmet! Bought it on ebay, seems to be a few going cheap lately.The towing dolly worried me a little but it seemed fine on the way home (100 miles) no trouble from the police etc. Whats the worst that can happen? its worth a few quid in parts at least. The hire cars required a £2500 card charge in case you scratched or bent them, not the sort of thing you want to worry about when trying to push it a little I would have thought.
Thanks for the advise on the track days. I will report back on my first (proper) track day.
Joe

PAUL FISHER

posted on 27/3/12 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Good choice, after driving one of those on track, you will wonder why you go to all the trouble of building a locost race car, it will be just as quick, for alot less money
dhutch

posted on 27/3/12 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent work!
FASTdan

posted on 28/3/12 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
Good choice, after driving one of those on track, you will wonder why you go to all the trouble of building a locost race car, it will be just as quick, for alot less money

LOL really?! Must be one badly set-up underpowered locost!!

205 sounds great though, I was looking at one of these on ebay the other day just out of interest (sounds like it might be the same one). Everyone raves about them so they must be good

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
yozza

posted on 28/3/12 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Photos of the car as promised. If any keen track day people see me out there please come and say hello/ give advise or lend a hand. With weather like this i cant wait to get going. Thanks for all the helpfull advise.
Joe

HowardB

posted on 28/3/12 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I had a 1.6GTi, it was great fun, and it was after that I decided that I needed the Fury,.. the 205 was more practical though as it had 4 seats and a massive opening tailgate.

Mine had no sunroof and I sold it to a bloke in Fife,.. I hope that he had fun with it,.... he was going to do track days at Knockhill

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

bi22le

posted on 28/3/12 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I would say that my Striker is underpowered (150bhp) and has not been set up and I skin 205 GTI.

In terms of tin tops they are fast but kit cars are just another level.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

PAUL FISHER

posted on 28/3/12 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
quote:

I would say that my Striker is underpowered (150bhp) and has not been set up and I skin 205 GTI.

As Joe is building a "locost to race in the 750" I was comparing that to the 205gti he has just bought for just £2000, so I will still stand by my statement it will be just as quick for alot less money.

daniel mason

posted on 28/3/12 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
And the locost race cars are not running 150 bhp so you'll not be far off!

Fizzer

posted on 28/3/12 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
track day tips:

Get to the track in good time, try to bag a garage if available
Get your car and stuff (helmet, noise test etc.) ready before the briefing so you're ready to go asap after it
Pay attention at the briefing, if they offer additional 'n00b' advice session after all the seasoned pro's have snuck off, take it.
Book an instructor if available, usually a few tens of pounds for a 20 min session, you'll learn more in that session than you will in the rest of the day.
There will probably be a mandatory guided drive around the circuit before you're allowed out on your own. Try to get near the front of this, the leader will drive the racing line round the circuit, cars further back often drive different lines which can be wrong wrong wrong
Take a tyre pressure gauge and pump, check your pressures before and after each session, they will change massively during the day
If it's open pit lane, make sure you take regular breaks and don't stay out too long (your car and brain will overheat, trust me)
Take some time to wonder round and look at other people's cars, it can be REALLY interesting.
At least once in the day check your fluid levels
DON't run out of fuel on track!
and finally, whatever you do, DON'T worry about faster people/plonkers/arses etc. there will be at least one! just keep an half an eye on what's catching up with you and let them past in the places that they told you in the briefing (usually on the straights)

ummm, I think that's it. I'm sure there's lots of other great advice out there. Hope you have a great day, that car looks like a LOT of fun

Steve Hignett

posted on 29/3/12 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
quote:

As Joe is building a "locost to race in the 750" I was comparing that to the 205gti he has just bought for just £2000, so I will still stand by my statement it will be just as quick for alot less money.

The people on here month-in-month out saying that a Locost, an MK/MAC1/MNR?Westy etc, BEC or CEC that will Wee all over the next 205 GTi or 106 or MR2 all Track Prepared cars are talking a bit of Plopsy in my opinion.

I believe that Track Driving and Lap Times has more to do with the driver than the car in my humble opinion...

yozza

posted on 30/3/12 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the valuable information. I never made Silverstone today but I am booked at Blyton with Javelin on Wednesday 4th April. Looking at the list of attendees and cars I will have to learn quickly and drive well. Should be good as there are wide run-off areas etc. Anybody on here going?
Joe

yozza

posted on 6/4/12 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all
had a fantastic day at Blyton with the 205. Richard who owns the place kindly let me leave the car on site for a few days prior to the event, saving me towing it hundreds of miles. Possibly the worst weather on the day, snowed heavily in Derbyshire and I just managed to get to the M1. My brother was stuck on the top of the pennines and only made the afternoon session. Javelin were fantastic, very helpfull throughout. Dried up a bit in the afternoon and got a chance to really have a go. The trip home was spoiled by the tyre on the dolly shredding and damaging the rim. Recovered and new tyre and rim fitted next day and safely back home again. Thoroughly enjoyed myself but absolutely exhausted by the time I got home. I will be selling the dolly and buying a proper trailer as soon as I can. I have (hopefully) attached a picture showing the amount of water!
Joe
[img][/img]

morcus

posted on 6/4/12 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
~Sounds like you really had fun. I miss my regular 1.6 auto 205 (Which was alot quicker through traffic calming than a jag, they built the road before the houses and before the houses were there me and my Dad used to push our cars abit).

Do you have any advice as someone who is still new to the game to give to other novices? If things work out right I'm hoping to have my first go on track this summer but it would be in a road car.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 6/4/12 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Its on days like that, your so glad your in a tin top
phelpsa

posted on 6/4/12 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I miss my little 205. Only a 1.4 so not fast, but the most agile thing i've ever been in.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
yozza

posted on 7/4/12 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Morcus
A road car will be fine just have a good check over it before and after the day. Bring as much 'stuff' as you can, tools etc. If I am doing any days down south I will let you know and you can have a go of the 205.
Good luck
Joe

morcus

posted on 7/4/12 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks that would be awesome.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.