Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternative Pinto Alternator
Wadda

posted on 8/8/12 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Alternative Pinto Alternator

This is my first post so please be gentle with me!

I have just bought a Locost kit car thats got a few problems. The first one that I need to sort out is the alternator. Its overcharging. At around 2000 rpm its sending 17v to the battery. Its already fried the previous owners battery. I put another battery on the car to get it home (without testing the alternotor first) when I got home the battery was very hot and water escaping from it. As soon as I put my multimeter on the battery with the car running I knew why!

So I am looking for another alternator. My 2.0 Pinto engine looks to be running the standard alternator (I would guess Siera). Is there any other alternator thats a direct replacement thats easy to get hold of used?

britishtrident

posted on 8/8/12 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadda
This is my first post so please be gentle with me!

I have just bought a Locost kit car thats got a few problems. The first one that I need to sort out is the alternator. Its overcharging. At around 2000 rpm its sending 17v to the battery. Its already fried the previous owners battery. I put another battery on the car to get it home (without testing the alternotor first) when I got home the battery was very hot and water escaping from it. As soon as I put my multimeter on the battery with the car running I knew why!

So I am looking for another alternator. My 2.0 Pinto engine looks to be running the standard alternator (I would guess Siera). Is there any other alternator thats a direct replacement thats easy to get hold of used?

Keep it simple just stick a new regulator pack in the alternator, costs buttons no soldering involved. Cost should be less than a tenner off eBay.

If it is the Cortina era early Lucas ACR type (large black rear cover) you just to take it out undo the back cover and bolt in the new regulator in -- no soldering a couple of screws and spade conectors.

see ebay item 230835924598

The later type Lucas A127 fitted to the Sierras is even simpler the regulator and brushes are in an combied pack external to the alternator. The pack is only held on by 3 screws and can usually be cahnged without removing the the alternator from the cat.

see ebay item 290747019170

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Macbeast

posted on 8/8/12 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
I think I have an old Sierra alternator and you're welcome to it. But it's always useful to show your location. You could be round the corner from me, but there again, perhaps not

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Wadda

posted on 8/8/12 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Just taken it off the car and it looks like its not a Lucas alternator. The only markings I can see on it are

Looks like am going to have to try to find another one.

Macbeast thanks for the offer, your about 170 miles from me. I have now added my location to profile.

britishtrident

posted on 8/8/12 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Post Picture somebody will ID it

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Wadda

posted on 8/8/12 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote

Staple balls

posted on 8/8/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure that's a bosch, regulators are a tenner off the bay.
Wadda

posted on 8/8/12 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that I think your right. I think I have managed to find the right regulator and ordered it off ebay for £10.65

Hope its the right one!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.