Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fibreglass release wax
madteg

posted on 1/12/13 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Fibreglass release wax

What sort of wax is it or what can i use for a large area. Thanks.
corrado vr6

posted on 1/12/13 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've always had great results as a beginner using pva release agent loads quicker too!

Apply using a foam brush leve 20mins then spply gelcoat

http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/p-2191-blue-gloss-pva-release-agent.aspx

http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/c-1011-foam-brushes-jenny-brushes.aspx

You can get simular on eBay too

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

twybrow

posted on 1/12/13 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Google is your friend!

I always go for Meguiars waxes - they are the standard. How big is your 'large area'? I have applied wax to a mould for a 150' yacht hull mould before, but it really is a horrible job on something that size! Otherwise, you could look at chemical (semi-permanent) release agents - e.g. Freekote, Chemtrend etc.

bi22le

posted on 1/12/13 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I have always used duck tape over my mould. It seems to work ok for me.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

computid

posted on 1/12/13 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to do it properly, you want beeswax. The product is actually called beeswax and it's brilliant. Don't use PVA Release Agent if you care at all about the quality of your gelcoat.

Remember to buff on - buff off quite a few times before you actually try anything.

jabs

posted on 2/12/13 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
Yep as said beeswax. you can get it from either toolstation or screwfix
loony

posted on 2/12/13 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
One of the polish GRP manufacturers use - Neutral Kiwi Shoes Polish It contains Carnauba Wax like other premium waxes...

I know it's funny, but he's making GRP mainly for german market (bike fairings etc.) so can't be that bad...

Lucas

FuryRebuild

posted on 2/12/13 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
What application are you thinking of?

If you have a relatively smooth non absorbent surface you want to take a part from, then a chemical release agent is great - it's dead easy to apply and i've had fantastic releases with it. I use EasyLease from Easy Composites. They sell it in small quantities as well. You wipe on, leave for a second or two and then just buff a little to remove the high spots.

PVA (poly vinyl ALCOHOL) can be ordered in shiny blue or matt finishes. If you spray it on (clean air and a cheap air paint gun) you will still get a reasonable finish. If your surface is a good quality you can wipe it on with a rag and that'll do. It's not for showroom-quality epoxy-CF finishes but it's still excellent. Put enough down and you could pull a part from a block of concrete. It also forms a physical barrier (you can peel it off) and it is water soluable. When pulling parts from difficult moulds using it, you can start the separation and pour water in to dissolve the PVA. you can sometimes actually hear the sounds as the part and mould separate.

I would use wax last of all - lots of effort and easy to miss a spot. With EasyLease it's on quick and sets quick. With PVA it's on blue so you know where you are. Things have moved along a lot since wax.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

owelly

posted on 2/12/13 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
For me, and I'm not saying this is the correct way, but it works, if I have a less than perfect mould/buck, I use wax. Usually whatever I have on the shelf. I made a buck for a dashboard out of MDF and filler. It got some random 'brushing wax' applied with a cloth. Several coats and left to dry between each one. The two parts practically fell apart. I knew I would have to spend some time finishing the components so the finish from the buck wasn't too critical. After I'd spent time finishing the mould and given it a couple of coats of paint to help me with the guide coat, it got a couple of fine mist coats of PVA release from a water squirty bottle. It took a bit more separating but came out with an excellent finish. Then I changed the clocks and chucked the lot in the bin, but that's a different story...

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FuryRebuild

posted on 2/12/13 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
The key is always in the mould quality; the quality there is amplified to the eye when you look at the finished part. If you're only making one part then time is best invested in fettling the part after the mould. If you're intending to pull more than one part then the time is best spent on the mould quality.

I'm learning (thanks to CarbonMan) just how much of a slog it is getting a good mould made from scratch. It's A LOT easier if you're copying a part.

I hadn't thought of misting PVA on with a plant squirter - I'd set up my spray gun ... the more I use PVA for some parts, the more respect I have for it. For instance with my fuel tank I don't need a cosmetic finish so it's going to be a CSM/poly mould, PVA and then aramid for the tank.

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
For me, and I'm not saying this is the correct way, but it works, if I have a less than perfect mould/buck, I use wax. Usually whatever I have on the shelf. I made a buck for a dashboard out of MDF and filler. It got some random 'brushing wax' applied with a cloth. Several coats and left to dry between each one. The two parts practically fell apart. I knew I would have to spend some time finishing the components so the finish from the buck wasn't too critical. After I'd spent time finishing the mould and given it a couple of coats of paint to help me with the guide coat, it got a couple of fine mist coats of PVA release from a water squirty bottle. It took a bit more separating but came out with an excellent finish. Then I changed the clocks and chucked the lot in the bin, but that's a different story...

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.