Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Tank Mods
ttalps2000

posted on 26/9/19 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel Tank Mods

Has anyone successfully added a "bowl" into the bottom of a steel tank to get away from needing a swirl pot when going to injection? Seems a better way to do it and will be running a return-less fuel system anyway. Its a Midget tank i have installed
obfripper

posted on 26/9/19 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a mini van tank, with a mondeo pump and bracket installed through the top. The mondeo swirl pot was too large to put into the mini tank, initially i used it as was, but there was fuel cut below 1/2 tank, as the internal baffles were not sufficient.
To rectify, i made a smaller swirl pot out of thin steel tube with an elbow for the pickup filter at the bottom, and some fuel resistant rubber discs in cutouts to allow fuel in at the base, but not back out.
Just jiggling this about in fuel would fill the pot, and the return is also into the pot, i've not had any issues with fuel cut since.

Dave

big_wasa

posted on 26/9/19 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve welded a steel fitting to a steel tank. I can’t say it was the best decision I’ve ever made but I did it anyway. The issue is can you be sure It’s clean enough. The consequences are high if it’s not.

I would also want to Tig it. Getting away with it once is one thing. Having to try again due to pin hole is another.

[Edited on 26/9/19 by big_wasa]

Stuart15

posted on 26/9/19 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve just replaced my fuel tank with a midget tank and now am suffering fuel starvation after left hand corners. I guess the tank is just so shallow it doesn’t take much to expose the outlet. I’ve been spending more money than I’d like on it recently so hoped I could avoid additional work of a swirl pot. I was wondering about the effectiveness of the foam cubes you can use in the fuel tank.
ttalps2000

posted on 26/9/19 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
think i will stick to a swirl pot lol!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.