Board logo

Powder coating in south London / Surrey - recommendations
softfeet - 14/3/16 at 11:46 AM

Can anybody recommend a powder coaters in the south London / Surrey area?

I need some small things like alternator brackets coated.

Has anybody any experience of these, for example:

Willow Powder Coating
Adept Industrial Finishers

Thanks

loggyboy - 14/3/16 at 11:53 AM

Maybe buy DIY kit for small bits?
Electrostatic Magic and an use old oven or similar to bake?

nick205 - 14/3/16 at 12:37 PM

Interesting question.

I don't know either of the companies you've found.

I have been looking recently in and around Hampshire to find someone who can strip a powder coated steel mountain bike frame and re-coat it in a different colour. There appear to be lots of coaters around, but fewer who can tackle removing old coatings. The MTB frame is a few years old now, but good and solid and rust free. The purple coating on it is bullet proof and I don't want to end up with a worse finish than I started with, but finding someone to do it is taking longer than I thought it would.

ETA...with small parts like you mention I had very good results with spray can primer and top coats on my MK Indy a few years back. One top tip is to build yourself a small spray booth out of cardboard (stops too much mess). The other tip is to warm the paint in the can in a sink of hot water before spraying - it really helps get a good flow and coverage. The last thing I found was hanging the sprayed part over an electric heater helped to bake the paint to a good strong finish.

[Edited on 14/3/16 by nick205]

softfeet - 15/3/16 at 10:40 AM

Thanks for the advice and ideas.

I will let you know if I use one of those or another powder coaters and how they do.