Board logo

Boxford Lathe
b14wrc - 18/9/17 at 11:34 AM

Anyone know how to remove the linked belt from a boxford lathe?

Looking into it I can't really find a definitive answer, I think the rivets rotate to allow the belt to be split...

Had a go on Friday and failed to do it. Any advice much appreciated.

Rob

40inches - 18/9/17 at 11:49 AM

The ones I used (many years ago) had a slit, going from the hole,a bit like a button hole, that allowed the belt to release. You twisted it upwards.
This was in the 60's though.

HowardB - 18/9/17 at 12:25 PM

same - push the belt together and then open the split with a blunt flat bladed screw driver - at least that's the case on mine

HTH

daviep - 18/9/17 at 12:29 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track, obviously you need the tension off, then rotate two consecutive rivets 90 degrees, use a screw driver to pry the belt over the rivets. Google "nut link belt" and I'm sure you'll get a youtube video.

Cheers
Davie

rj - 18/9/17 at 05:41 PM

Its a bit awkward to do , I recall it is easier to connect than disconnect, you will stab yourself several times with the small screwdriver before you get the hang of it ! Once its off practice it a few times, you will soon be able to do it in seconds

b14wrc - 20/9/17 at 11:28 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am going to have another attempt to retrieve my lathe from my mates garage at the weekend.

b14wrc - 26/9/17 at 11:18 AM

Got the Boxford neatly stored in my new workshop, happy days.

The belt was quite easy once I worked it out. Now I need an inverter and I can get it fired up.

Rob