Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Oh Come off it!!! F1 spoilers on front page
James

posted on 25/5/14 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Oh Come off it!!! F1 spoilers on front page

I've tried very hard all afternoon to not see/hear the F1 result as, let's face it, knowing the result completely ruins the race.

I've just seen someone's posted Lewis Hamilton = Disappointing on the Front Page! Now I've not read the thread of course but I think its fair to say that I probably now know the result! (Or at least who didn't win).

I'm fairly furious about this so well done and thanks to whoever has posted it.

I believe its forum protocol that we don't post spoilers in the title anymore!!!

So please have some consideration for others and just put F1 and the race name in the title!

If that not what that thread is about then apologies- I will read it once I've seen the race on iPlayer tomorrow.

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Texan

posted on 25/5/14 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
AMEN! I saw the Hamilton = disappointed just as I was sitting down to watch the race and while it didn't totally spoil it, it really took a lot of the anticipation out of it. I haven't gone to the other thread and probably won't because after seeing the race I don't understand WHY that was even warranted a thread title.

I drive therefore I am.

adithorp

posted on 26/5/14 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
The result is not the subject being discused.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

JoelP

posted on 26/5/14 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Still very bad form by the person who started the thread.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

daviep

posted on 26/5/14 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
I would suggest that if you are trying to avoid finding out the result of an F1 race a forum dedicated to car enthusiasts probably isn't the cleverest place to browse.

This is a good forum which is friendly and allows everyone to express their opinion, the moderation is very subtle and usually limited to times when things get personal and offensive. It doesn't suffer from the hard core clique who think the forum belongs to them and continually feel the need to remind other members of the rules (which often don't exist).

Lets keep this place as it is please.

Regards
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

joneh

posted on 26/5/14 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Bad form?

Ok let's not discus racing events on a car enthusiast forum incase you've not caught up on your Sky +!

Avoid the place as Daviep says above until you've watched it.

adithorp

posted on 26/5/14 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Spoilers aren't a question of not discussing the subject. It's about not giving away results in the title.

That way if you've not seen the event you won't have it spoiled. If the title is "F1" or "Monaco" you know not to open the thread but if the title was "Chiltern wins!" it's been given away just by looking at the front page. If you want to write about F1 or it's results you can but just avoid giving away the result in the title then every one is happy.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

JoelP

posted on 26/5/14 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Exactly adi, discuss at will in a thread but keep the title clean. There's no reason to put a spoiler in the title, so to me it just looks thoughtless or rude. It's not like it hasn't been discussed countless times before.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

loggyboy

posted on 26/5/14 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
I would suggest that if you are trying to avoid finding out the result of an F1 race a forum dedicated to car enthusiasts probably isn't the cleverest place to browse.

This is a good forum which is friendly and allows everyone to express their opinion, the moderation is very subtle and usually limited to times when things get personal and offensive. It doesn't suffer from the hard core clique who think the forum belongs to them and continually feel the need to remind other members of the rules (which often don't exist).

Regards
Davie

^^^This +1000000

I watched the race a few hours after broadcast, and not only did I avoid using the internet full stop, I even turned my sky box on before the TV and selected a kids tv channel so I knew when the tv came on it didnt come on staight in to news or similar. IF YOUR THAT BOTHERED USE NOGGING!

Mistral Motorsport

steve m

posted on 26/5/14 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
+1

I try and watch most races live, but if i havnt and want to watch it slightley later, i avoid all media, ie dont switch a thing on TV Radio, or Tinternet

its the only way

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

corrado vr6

posted on 26/5/14 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
My homepage is yahoo.com now they post up things like this all the time, maybe I should write to them, stating I haven't watched the race?
Sorry but In defence of the op on the other thread maybe avoid car forums before watching??

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

Surrey Dave

posted on 26/5/14 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
I've tried very hard all afternoon to not see/hear the F1 result as, let's face it, knowing the result completely ruins the race.

I've just seen someone's posted Lewis Hamilton = Disappointing on the Front Page! Now I've not read the thread of course but I think its fair to say that I probably now know the result! (Or at least who didn't win).

I'm fairly furious about this so well done and thanks to whoever has posted it.

I believe its forum protocol that we don't post spoilers in the title anymore!!!

So please have some consideration for others and just put F1 and the race name in the title!

If that not what that thread is about then apologies- I will read it once I've seen the race on iPlayer tomorrow.

James

I don't watch the race live and do my best not to see the result, although it will be a miracle if its not a Mercedes!

The topic was nothing to do with the race result (as you will have now found out) ,sounds like you jumped to some incorrect conclusions James.

And you know exactly who posted it!!

If this is all you have to be 'fairly furious about' , you are a lucky man!!

This website gets more 'girly' everyday!!

coyoteboy

posted on 26/5/14 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

This. If it bothers you that much don't browse a car forum until you seen it. How long do you expect people to hold off in case you havent caughtup on your tv yet? 6 hours? A day? A week? If a car race result is so important that its going to spoil your day seeing it, take full responsibility for avoiding it yourself!

bi22le

posted on 26/5/14 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I think it should be discussed as it happens to keep people opinions fresh. Especially as the actual topic related to the driver and not his very respectable finishing position

I feel stronger though that the title of the thread could of been a bit more luring and less direct.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

scootz

posted on 26/5/14 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Regards
Davie

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 26/5/14 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
... and the 'disappointing' thread had nothing to do with the outcome of the race! It's a discussion about the drivers attitude!

It's Evolution Baby!

Alfa145

posted on 26/5/14 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I would suggest that if you are trying to avoid finding out the result of an F1 race a forum dedicated to car enthusiasts probably isn't the cleverest place to browse

Common sense if you ask me....don't want to know the result go browse a knitting forum. Or stay away from tv, internet until you get round to watching it. It's your choice not to watch it live so if those that have want to discuss they don't have to wait 3 weeks just in case someone else hasn't watched it yet....

James

posted on 26/5/14 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly, as I said in my initial post I would apologise if this wasn't the topic of the post.

Sorry Dave.

quote:

------

quote:
Originally posted by joneh
Bad form?

Ok let's not discus racing events on a car enthusiast forum incase you've not caught up on your Sky +!

Avoid the place as Daviep says above until you've watched it.

-----
quote:
Originally posted by corrado vr6
My homepage is yahoo.com now they post up things like this all the time, maybe I should write to them, stating I haven't watched the race?
Sorry but In defence of the op on the other thread maybe avoid car forums before watching??

-----

quote:
This. If it bothers you that much don't browse a car forum until you seen it. How long do you expect people to hold off in case you havent caughtup on your tv yet? 6 hours? A day? A week? If a car race result is so important that its going to spoil your day seeing it, take full responsibility for avoiding it yourself!

-----

No, of course I don't think we shouldn't discuss F1 results!!!!!

I feel quite the reverse and I'm happy to encourage it- before, during and after!!! I'm fairly sure I said nothing to suggest that in my initial post.

What I'm saying is don't give clues in the title of the thread. There's no need for it, no-one gains from it and it *could* spoil things for others.

In this case, of course, it wasn't what was being said anyway and I've apologised to Dave.

I just think it should be possible to view this website and, with care, avoid having something spoiled.

As every year, Monaco was a crap race anyway!

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 26/5/14 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Surrey Dave

posted on 26/5/14 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
No Probs.

Hey this thread has so much interest , I might as well remind everyone that my car is for sale £4250 for package or £4000 car only taxed ready to go......

Next time I advertise it I'll put something relating to Lewis Hamilton in the title

Smoking Frog

posted on 26/5/14 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I would suggest that if you are trying to avoid finding out the result of an F1 race a forum dedicated to car enthusiasts probably isn't the cleverest place to browse

Leaving any details out of the title is not a big ask.

James

posted on 26/5/14 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
Hey this thread has so much interest , I might as well remind everyone that my car is for sale £4250 for package or £4000 car only taxed ready to go......

Next time I advertise it I'll put something relating to Lewis Hamilton in the title

A lovely car it is too! Please buy it folks!

bob

posted on 26/5/14 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Just finished watching the race on BBC i player, amazingly i did not know the result but then again i did not switch on any news media or net for the last 24hrs + as i planned to do this.

Anyway the important part.

Dave's car is a fantastic buy,extremely well put together with the added benefit of full weather gear and tonneau.
I have known Dave for some 10+ years and this car is another that gave me and a lot of others inspiration to build, it is a top car and deserves a good home.

I actually do not think anyone would looses money on this car at this price.

[Edited on 26/5/14 by bob]

coyoteboy

posted on 26/5/14 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Leaving any details out of the title is not a big ask.

Neither is choosing not to view the forum until you have seen it if you particularly don't want to know, and that leaves everyone else able to discuss as normal while the late watcher lives their life with suspense intact and everyone is happy with no restrictions imposed by others. Simple common sense instead of imposing rules on others, no?

craig1410

posted on 27/5/14 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
As I think has been said already, the topic isn't actually talking about the result, it's talking about Hamilton's "disappointing" attitude. I'm sure the OP didn't intend to convey the results of the race in the title.

Besides, given that the pole sitter almost always wins in Monaco, I don't think the outcome was much of a surprise.

I know how you feel by the way - I've had race results spoiled for me a few times, most recently while on a shopping trip with my wife we passed through John Lewis and I glanced at the TV section only to see the podium celebration from the race I was hoping to watch when I went home. I've also had my father in law spoil results for me by blurting the winner out on the phone before I could stop him. Best bet is to lock yourself away in a faraday cage with no windows or wires leading in. I definitely wouldn't go to a car-related website or even BBC News and definitely not Twitter if I wanted to avoid seeing a result prematurely.

More of a soap opera than a race anyway...

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.