Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Formula 27 Reviews
ianleon

posted on 23/8/11 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Formula 27 Reviews

Hello all,

I'm new to whole kit car scene and currently in the market to buy a BEC as a weekend toy.

I have come across a Formula 27 not far from me and within my price range but would like some reviews on the cars as a whole as i can't find any info on them, I have searched on here but failed.

I obviously know they won't compare to caterhams and westfields but how do they fare with the other kit cars available ?

Thanks

ali f27

posted on 23/8/11 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hi dont fall into the westfield hype f27 will out handle anything go and try it see what you think a lot more f27,s about than you think i have driven lot,s of other cars so not just bias mark and i have 4 cars only one of them is an f 27.
Cherrs Ali

procomp

posted on 23/8/11 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

For general road / fun track day they are good fun. But to say it will out handle anything is a little optimistic when the front end is notoriously poor design. Have a look at posts from PEWE who has one and uses it for auto solo he took the opportunity to mod his to improve the grip levels. As said good fun but not in the same league as Westfield Striker Etc Etc.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianleon

posted on 23/8/11 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, in your opinions are the factory built cars, well built ?
ali f27

posted on 23/8/11 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
sorry if i jangled the westfield nerves a bit but they should be ok becuase they will have bought carbon fibre ones
Minicooper

posted on 23/8/11 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

For general road / fun track day they are good fun. But to say it will out handle anything is a little optimistic when the front end is notoriously poor design. Have a look at posts from PEWE who has one and uses it for auto solo he took the opportunity to mod his to improve the grip levels. As said good fun but not in the same league as Westfield Striker Etc Etc.

Cheers Matt

Matt,
What is a good or even an excellent front end, any of the free designs by any chance? There seems to be an almost universal criticism of aspects of every design out there. Which off the free ones, tiger avon, ron chapman locost, haynes roadster, etc is the best? or maybe the least worst

Cheers
David

joolsmi16

posted on 23/8/11 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
f27

I have a F27 will designed car I little over engineered in places however I've been trying to get hold of image sportscars the makers of the F27 for over a month now they don't answer the phone or respond to emails..

If your after a kit you'll get a excellent service from the likes of MNR...

ianleon

posted on 23/8/11 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joolsmi16
I have a F27 will designed car I little over engineered in places however I've been trying to get hold of image sportscars the makers of the F27 for over a month now they don't answer the phone or respond to emails..

If your after a kit you'll get a excellent service from the likes of MNR...

Oh right, that doesn't sound great !

No i'm after one that is built, tried and tested as i don't have the time to put one together.

f27

posted on 23/8/11 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I recently acquired a Forumla 27 with Honda Blackbird 1100 engine. I love it, it handles great but mine didn't have a baffled fuel tank so cut out on hard left corners. I'm about to fit a swirl pot to help, but haven't managed to get it on a track yet to fully explore the handling limits.

I have also had big problems trying to get replies from calls and emails to Formula 27- Image Sports Cars now own the rights. Really disapointed with their customer service but the car was fantastic when it was drivable - see my other thread running at the moment in this forum

SOLD - F27 Blackbird, F27 ZZR1400, MK Indy Hayabusa, 3 750MC Crossflow Locosts, Ultima GTR - currently got a MX5 powered Locost racing car

grazo

posted on 14/5/13 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
formula 27

Image sports cars and the Formula 27 car will soon be back in business i will post the contact details as soon as i have them.
Proby

posted on 14/5/13 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting, I await with a deep breath!

Visit GraphicMonster

Valtra

posted on 15/5/13 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I don't get what may be wrong with the front end ? it may not look pretty but the inboard shocks provide a very smooth consistent linear action, smooth ride , and consistent grip . brilliant in fact for uk pot holes and broken road surfaces . The Caterham has been honed over 40 years and costs nearly 10 times what a plan built f27 does . it is not 10 times better . One thing you will notice with the 27 is a longer than average wheelbase which should make it stable a tightly controlled live axle or generic independent rear end . My own car's Achilles Heal is that the rear ride height has to be fairly high and stiffto prevent the diff flange hitting the tunnel . but it does not induce roll. I'd like to have an LSD to give it more chuck-ability. Another advantage of the long wheelbase is the engine can be well back from the front axle to give a true front mid engine layout to the benefit of balance and stability.

"If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

Kong

posted on 15/5/13 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
I did a lot of research before I bought my Luego and a Formula 27 bec was near the top of my list. Seems well designed and plenty of spares

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.