Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: iPad what's so bad about it?!
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/11/12 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
iPad what's so bad about it?!

Weird I keep coming across folk why sneer at the iPad, usually muttering something about apple. Been using this pad for 2 weeks now and it's the best thought out and easy to learn computer I've ever used. It's aleady replaced my mobile, laptop and car GPS

What on earth have folk got against it? Beats me

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 21/11/12 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
To me - mainly the price. The equivelent Samsung Tab is half the price and works just as well.
Secondly the apple attitude - 'its our way or the highway', 'want to do something manually - tough' 'let us do it for you, we know best' 'spare parts for a 4 year old phone?, only thru our dedicated suppliers, who will charge nearly as much as a new phone and have to fix it for you.'
thirdly - the apple 'following' - blid sheep who assume that because its has a apple logo it must be better than anything else.

Check out the 'mapple' simpson sketches on youtube!

Mistral Motorsport

balidey

posted on 21/11/12 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Cost only for me.
I'm not anti Apple.
But I hate all the Apple 'fan boys' (sorry I hate that term) who go on and on and one about how good all Apple products are.
You don't see people knocking Sony, Panasonic etc etc. but I think the reason for that is the lack of people constantly saying how much better their products are.

Would I buy an Ipad?
No.

Would I like to be given an Ipad?
Yes.

Would I buy an Ipad if it were much cheaper?
probably

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/11/12 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm well I've not used any other tablets other than this but so long as it does it job, so far I've just been discovering how many it can do. As for cost I think you get what you pay for like cars you can do my usual and just buy something that will get you from A to B but if you want an Audi you have to pay for it. So far it's already paid for itself having replaced all my separate gadgets, just my gps (which turned out to be sh!t) cost half the price of the pad alone. Have to say I'm delighted with the pad so far

[Edited on 21/11/12 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 21/11/12 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
To me - mainly the price. The equivelent Samsung Tab is half the price and works just as well.
Secondly the apple attitude - 'its our way or the highway', 'want to do something manually - tough' 'let us do it for you, we know best' 'spare parts for a 4 year old phone?, only thru our dedicated suppliers, who will charge nearly as much as a new phone and have to fix it for you.'
thirdly - the apple 'following' - blid sheep who assume that because its has a apple logo it must be better than anything else.

Check out the 'mapple' simpson sketches on youtube!

That,s interesting because I've heard loads of other people say the same thing but it does not mirror my experience.

Perhaps its a case of the wrong product for the job? Apple stuff is s reliable exactly because they discourage fiddling about with it - if you want to tinker why for goodness sake buy something that is tinker proof?

my iphone 4 had a new screen fitted for £20 my the corner shop the same day - hardly dear.

Horses for courses but don't knock it 'cos you bought the wrong bit of kit

Cheers!

PS the phone is the only bit of apple kit I've got 'cos I tinker with the rest....

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

ceebmoj

posted on 21/11/12 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I guess another way of looking at the same question would be. What is so good about the iPad? Did you look at the Nexus 10 the equivalent iPad is £80 more and the Nexus has a high-resolution screen.

Nexus 10 link

However a computer/ tablet / what ever is a tool what ever works best for you is the right device.

[Edited on 21/11/12 by ceebmoj]

steve m

posted on 21/11/12 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I would really like to comment, onthe ipad, but since getting one, wifey uses it 24/7
ceebmoj

posted on 21/11/12 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
my iphone 4 had a new screen fitted for £20 my the corner shop the same day - hardly dear.

If you ever take the phone to an apple shop they will know and will get decidedly funny about it.

D Beddows

posted on 21/11/12 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
So far it's already paid for itself having replaced all my separate gadgets, just my gps (which turned out to be sh!t) cost half the price of the pad alone.

and if it wasn't an Apple you could use Google Navigator which is really rather good indeed

I'm entirely with balidey on this otherwise tbh

splitrivet

posted on 21/11/12 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
If your happy with it who gives a monkies about what others think.
Personally I dont like itunes or Apples we've got you by the short and curlies attitude (not a problem if you jailbreak it, but you shouldnt really have to do that) which is why I went for Galaxy 10.1.
As for getting a new screen for £20 on your Iphone thats gotta be the biggest bargain this side of the black stump we fit em for £45 and we make bugger all.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

v8kid

posted on 21/11/12 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid

If you ever take the phone to an apple shop they will know and will get decidedly funny about it.

You mean they will start telling Apple jokes ?

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

mds167

posted on 21/11/12 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
I echo most of the responses so far.
I've an iPad1 through work.
The only downsides I've found are 3G signal and weight.
Perhaps the newer ones have lighter batteries.
If I was going to buy a tablet then I'd go Nexus but I like Android (have Samsung GS3).
However, my wife has a 3rd gen 32GB Ipod Touch which she loves and would have an iPad if they weren't so expensive.

"No, you can't lick the system; but you can give it a damn good fondling."

Jon Ison

posted on 21/11/12 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
we have ipad 1 & 2 in our house, both get used regularly, like them both.

Slightly off topic just received an iPhone 4S still sealed unused, whats it worth, CBA to move everything over from my iPhone 4 which I'm more than happy with ?

wombat

posted on 21/11/12 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
My employer gave out 1400 iPads earlier this year to its staff off the back of a couple of good years.
Really like mine, only use laptop at home occasionally, excel , photos etc.
Wouldn't have bought one and trying to convince wife it's not worth her having one. Lot of money for what it is really.

Anyone know if you can get pictures from iPad to this site??

mcerd1

posted on 21/11/12 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr WhippyIt's aleady replaced my.... ....car GPS

does it have that new apple maps thats on the iphone 5 yet ?

I ws shown one the other day on, search for 'waverley station', google sends you to Edinburgh - but apple send you to Sydney Australia!

[Edited on 21/11/2012 by mcerd1]

-

craig1410

posted on 21/11/12 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Hmm well I've not used any other tablets other than this but so long as it does it job, so far I've just been discovering how many it can do. As for cost I think you get what you pay for like cars you can do my usual and just buy something that will get you from A to B but if you want an Audi you have to pay for it. So far it's already paid for itself having replaced all my separate gadgets, just my gps (which turned out to be sh!t) cost half the price of the pad alone. Have to say I'm delighted with the pad so far

Well this is refreshing! I'm happy to hear you are enjoying your iPad but I had to chuckle a bit when reading what you said here because if I or any one of the growing number of "fanboys" had said something like this then a tirade of fanboy accusations would have ensued. You can get away with it as you are new to the scene...

As loggyboy has already explained, there are a number of "complaints" made by the anti-fanboys or fandroids or apple-haters or whatever you want to call them.

The price argument is common but when you consider the resale value of second hand apple gear that argument turns on its head. I sold a 4 year old, previously water damaged but working now, iPhone 3G which I had owned front new on eBay for £97 + postage a couple of months ago when I got my iPhone 5. Try that with a 4 year old android or other phone and you will get almost nothing. The same is true for iPads, laptops and other equipment. You also need to take into account the materials used and screen quality etc. That doesn't even begin to touch on the usability, ecosystem of apps and content etc. People seem to forget that when Apple released the first iPad, the price expectation was $999 but Apple shocked the competition into retreat by announcing a $499 opening price point. The only way the competition can beat the iPad is either by using cheaper materials or not making a profit on the product and trying to make up for that with content sales. This only works in a few countries though.

"Apple attitude" goes a bit like this... Apple make tough decisions on behalf of their customers! They spend a ton of cash on research and build numerous "versions" of each product before deciding which is the best overall. They then negotiate very tough contracts with suppliers and manufacturers around the world to build the product from expensive materials and parts while maintaining solid profits. They only make the profits they do (30-50% margin) BECAUSE they gain huge economies of scale through only building a few products in huge volume. If you tried to build 100,000 iPads to the same spec as the current iPad, it would cost at least twice as much as it does. Only through apples investment in factories and equipment and through huge order quantities can the price be made as low as it is. If you want to see what happens when a company can't or won't make the tough decisions for their customers then look no further than the Microsoft Surface RT device or even Windows 8. With these products Microsoft has handed the compromises to the customer to figure out for themselves...

Parts for any Apple product older than a few months are freely available, especially the glass touch screens. I've replaced the screens on numerous iPhones and iPod touches for friends and family and it is easy to do yourself using basic tools and a steady hand. Some products are easier to work o than others though to be fair. I've done the same thing with laptops, replacing batteries, screens and hard disks etc.

Apple 'Following' - hmm, this is where it gets unpleasant sometimes, not because Apple fans are unpleasant but because for some reason it is nigh on impossible to say anything without upsetting an anti-Apple person. I'm sure that will be proven shortly after I post this. Apple customers tend to be very satisfied with their products as upheld in survey after survey and of course they will tell anyone who asks that they should get an Apple product too. I've done this both directly and indirectly and is have yet to have anyone come back to me and say it was the wrong move to make. Often it seems like I've turned on a lightswitch for that persons computing enjoyment and productivity.

Anyway, I've said more than enough now to provoke a strong fandroid rebuttal so I'll better leave it at that. If you need any help then feel free to email or U2U me any time. You can also gets lots of good info on www.imore.com especially in the how to section and reviews section.

Enjoy!
Craig.

ps. I was a PC geek for over 25 years before I got my first Mac in 2007 so I'm only really a fanboy-apprentice...

D Beddows

posted on 21/11/12 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
How much are Apple paying you Craig? because if

""Apple attitude" goes a bit like this... Apple make tough decisions on behalf of their customers! They spend a ton of cash on research and build numerous "versions" of each product before deciding which is the best overall. They then negotiate very tough contracts with suppliers and manufacturers around the world to build the product from expensive materials and parts while maintaining solid profits. They only make the profits they do (30-50% margin) BECAUSE they gain huge economies of scale through only building a few products in huge volume. If you tried to build 100,000 iPads to the same spec as the current iPad, it would cost at least twice as much as it does. Only through apples investment in factories and equipment and through huge order quantities can the price be made as low as it is."

isn't 'company speak' I don't know what is.....

[Edited on 21/11/12 by D Beddows]

craig1410

posted on 21/11/12 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
How much are Apple paying you Craig..........

[Edited on 21/11/12 by D Beddows]

Sadly nothing...

I must say I was tempted recently to buy some shares (actually at $500+ per share probably just one or two...) but they've already jumped up in price in the last few days.

I also had to pay THEM a couple of weeks ago to get my wife's MacBook Air screen replaced after she dropped it on the corner of the bedside table and smashed the LCD. It was only 2.5 months old so spare parts not so easy to find yet but Apple repaired it for £220 all in which I thought wasn't too bad. Probably £50-£75 labour plus £150ish for the entire top half of the laptop. Not cheap but was handed in to the Apple store on the Saturday and fixed on the Monday so good service.

Cheers,
Craig.

silky16v

posted on 21/11/12 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
since turning to the Apple some years ago i can honestly say i've not had 1 issue with any of there hardware and every device does exactly what it says on the box

i normally trade up every 3yrs or sooner and the resell value is normally half or more which for electronic goods is a superb rate of return

i now have:

Macbook Air mid 2012 model (by far the best laptop i've ever had) 10 secs from switch on and i'm using it
iPad 3
iPhone 4s
Apple TV

I love the apple products for what they are yes i agree they are expensive but you get that return back when you sell on
i'm thinking about a 27" iMac for my office as i use a 27" thunderbolt display@work and it's truly an awesome screen

There will always be Apple haters, but each to there own for people who can afford them they buy them, that is the market Apple thrive on for most users there is no compromise it just has to be Apple Products.

whitestu

posted on 21/11/12 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
I genuinely can't make my mind up!

I have mixed opinions from my experience of Apple devices and software my Iphone 3 is fairly crap and Itunes is bloody awful, conversely my kids have Ipod touchs and an Ipad 3 and these seem pretty good.

I generally find Apple software very unintuitive and struggle to get it to do what I want, but maybe that's from years of using Windows, and little exposure to the Apple OS.

I'd like to have a play with a decent Android tablet to see how it compares with the Ipad.

Stu

mcerd1

posted on 21/11/12 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I don't mind the old fashoned ipod's (although I don't have one) and i do sometimes use the PC version of itunes to rip my CD's to mp3 (just because its free, avalible and can do a few other useful things to the mp3's)
but I'm not an apple fan in general - mostly just because I just don't like dumbed down way that most of their products work
I like to tinker and run alot of games and CAD most of which run perfectly on my PC
and I've run Winamp for most of my mp3 needs for more than 13 years and I'm still loving it

so you think I'd be an android fan... I've tried quite a few different ones but I just don't like it either !
(maybe I'd like it if they did an non-touch version)

and from what I've seen of windows 8 so far I don't think I'm going to like that much either....

...In fact the thing I hate more than anything is touch screens !

I'm just going to hide away in a cave with my old nokia

[Edited on 21/11/2012 by mcerd1]

-

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/11/12 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm about to use the maps navigator to get all the way from Southampton to Aberdeen and I have no idea of the roads so really going to put it to the test...last time I did a journey like this my gps put me through every back road in Wales, little b2stard

As for fiddling with apps, so far I have no need everything I wanted was ready to go and does its job perfectly, liked the video phone thing worked a dream when abroad so I could chat to the missis how amazing

I can see it now, when I was a lad we didn't even see who we were speaking to, we had to speak in to this thing in our hands oh the good old days...

UncleFista

posted on 21/11/12 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Bit off-topic, but why do Apple phone owners call their phones "iphone" I don't call mine "HTC" I just call it a phone..

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

craig1410

posted on 21/11/12 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
Bit off-topic, but why do Apple phone owners call their phones "iphone" I don't call mine "HTC" I just call it a phone..

Well, HTC is the brand just like Apple is the brand for iPhone. I don't call my phone my "Apple"

I sometimes call it my iPhone or if it is a more specific conversation and I need to clarify then I might call it an iPhone 3 or 4 or 5 or whatever. Android owners also refer to their S3 or S2 in the same way.

I think it comes down to whether the manufacturer has chosen a memorable product name or not. iPhone is a single product name with a number to reflect generation. The brand awareness is therefore very strong. Talking about an "evo 4G lte" isn't quite so easy to roll off the tongue in the case of HTC. Other manufacturers are even worse sometimes.

You can even create your own android product names here: http://androidphonenamegenerator.com

mark chandler

posted on 21/11/12 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno, Mines great, lap top consigned to under the sofa.

We were going to upgrade our sat nav, the maps function is up to date and works really well, IPAD 3.

It's also locked into my iPhone so all music and apps are carried across.

What do I not like, it is not a PC so have to copy music across on USB lead.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.