Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Email Alerts
Nickctp

posted on 1/2/13 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Email Alerts

Hi all,

I used to get email alerts when someone commented on a post that I put up - also when I received a U2U. Has something changed or have I accidently changed a setting? If so how do I change back?

Cheers

Nick

ReMan

posted on 1/2/13 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
The whole site is still limping along since
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/42/viewthread.php?tid=178240

I'm sure it's a mammoth task to get it all back

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Dick Axtell

posted on 1/2/13 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
I'm sure it's a mammoth task to get it all back

Sure will be. Still working on irritating little errors on my site. Will probably have to totally re-construct, and it doesn't have all the sophisticated features of this one.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

mcerd1

posted on 1/2/13 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
try this page to help yourself keep upto date untill the boss gets thing sorted:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/today.php

[Edited on 1/2/2013 by mcerd1]

-

Westy1994

posted on 6/3/13 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Glad I checked this thread as I was just about to post the same message, no emails on thread replies or u2u's at the moment, no biggie however.
ChrisW

posted on 10/3/13 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
If anyone has a copy of either the 'new u2u received' or the 'reply posted' emails, please forward them to me. This is one of the few things I lost when the server was stolen.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 10/3/13 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks to those that forwarded the alerts to me. I now have plenty!

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 10/3/13 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
OK, I now have this fixed. Please let me know your experiences - ie confirm it's working or not. I think I've got everything right but if you get emails with the wrong name on them, wrong subject, etc do please tell me!

Out of interest, would people appreciate SMS alerts (to mobile) for either u2u's and/or thread updates? This would probably have to be for contributors only as there is a cost involved.

Chris

[Edited on 10/3/2013 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

loggyboy

posted on 10/3/13 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Save the money for something more productive IMO!

Mistral Motorsport

ChrisW

posted on 10/3/13 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Save the money for something more productive IMO!

I'd just buy one of those unlimited text SIM cards for a fiver a month probably so not going to break the bank. They probably have some clauses about acceptable use though so I'd want to keep the numbers of texts sent down, hence the 'contributors only' suggestion.

My gaff my rules

loggyboy

posted on 10/3/13 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ahhh fair point.. wouldnt be my cup of tea, but I guess might be useful for selling or important/urgent tech questions.

Mistral Motorsport

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 10/3/13 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Now that most people have smart phones - is it really worth it?

What would be better would be a smart phone interface - have you tried using the site on a mobile device? You can do it, but it's not that easy.

I bought a forum interface from the Apple App Store (can't remember the name) but it's not compatible with this forum - the only forum I use !! - making that work (if it's not too much work) would be a real treat

ChrisW

posted on 10/3/13 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
Now that most people have smart phones - is it really worth it?

What would be better would be a smart phone interface - have you tried using the site on a mobile device? You can do it, but it's not that easy.

I bought a forum interface from the Apple App Store (can't remember the name) but it's not compatible with this forum - the only forum I use !! - making that work (if it's not too much work) would be a real treat

The problem with those apps is that although they are free to download they remove the site's advertising and force their own in. That's good for them, but not for the supporters of a site like this.

That said, if anyone is a whizz with apps and feels like building one for the site I would happily work with them.

Chris

My gaff my rules

mcerd1

posted on 20/3/13 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris, I take it you lost the bit of code that limits the e-mails to 1 per thread ?

-

ChrisW

posted on 20/3/13 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
No. You should only get 1 until you come back and read the thread. Once you read it the count is reset.

Chris

My gaff my rules

mcerd1

posted on 20/3/13 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
well I seem to be getting one e-mail per reply in the thread at the moment just like in the old days....

[Edited on 20/3/2013 by mcerd1]

-

ReMan

posted on 20/3/13 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
well I seem to be getting one e-mail per reply in the thread at the moment just like in the old days....

[Edited on 20/3/2013 by mcerd1]

I would concur this morning

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Slimy38

posted on 20/3/13 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, same here. I had eight emails for the eight replies a thread had received, even though they'd all appeared while I was asleep and not accessing the forum.

Of course, this does lead me on to a possible 'enhancement', any chance of having the 'Receive e-mail notification of new replies' turned off by default? I only got the emails because I accidentally forgot to untick the box while replying, it wasn't even my thread!

ChrisW

posted on 20/3/13 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Yep, same here. I had eight emails for the eight replies a thread had received, even though they'd all appeared while I was asleep and not accessing the forum.

Of course, this does lead me on to a possible 'enhancement', any chance of having the 'Receive e-mail notification of new replies' turned off by default? I only got the emails because I accidentally forgot to untick the box while replying, it wasn't even my thread!

There is a tick box to do that in your control panel.

Chris

My gaff my rules

ChrisW

posted on 26/3/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
Hi Chris, I take it you lost the bit of code that limits the e-mails to 1 per thread ?

I think I've found the reason why this bit was broken. I'd 'commented out' the bit of code whilst I was getting the system up and running again and testing it.

Grateful for any reports confirming or denying!

Thanks, Chris

My gaff my rules

Ben_Copeland

posted on 27/3/13 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,

Looks like its working fine now. Only one email per.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

mcerd1

posted on 28/3/13 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
its working for me now - thanks chris

saves me working through 50+ e-mails a day - I think I'm spending too much time on this site

[Edited on 28/3/2013 by mcerd1]

-

alexpaul2

posted on 31/5/13 at 04:17 AM Reply With Quote
You means you get email alert when you can reply any post?

Mercedes Wedding Car | Wedding car Tonbridge | Wedding Car Kent

Slimy38

posted on 31/5/13 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

There is a tick box to do that in your control panel.

Chris

Awesome, just found it! Ironically I didn't see your reply because I'd not subscribed to this thread...

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.